The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Oct 22, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #7,819 of 12,991
I don't have amp and my last bass headphones was Philips SHP6000 and now I want something better with more bass. I use a sound card. I only use headphones with my PC.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #7,822 of 12,991
Well I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of SZ2K's, and they arrived earlier this week! Previously over the past 18 months or so, I've been enjoying my Yamaha Pro 500's, which I currently still have. To my surprise the Pro 500's are closer to the S2K's bass impact than I was expecting.....those 500's really pound!

Where the S2K's really shine compared to the Pro 500's is in the lower sub bass. The S2K's really hit the low frequency harder, as they are much more "full" down below 35-40hz or so. My set-up for both cans is: Spotify on PC playing through my Dragonfly DAC, then amped with my original E12 on high gain with the bass boost on. I'm also using Equalify Pro for EQ duties in Spotify, boosting the lower frequencies for both cans.

What surprised me the most with the S2K's though, was their decent sound quality once EQ'd. Everyone is absolutely right when they talk about how much these cans love the EQ. I still can't get them to match the Pro 500's in overall sound quality, but I got them much closer than I was expecting. For what I mostly listen to (hip-hop, rap, EDM) the S2K's sound fantastic!

On my set-up, the Pro 500's seem to match the S2K's in bass quantity from 50hz and above, but the Pro 500's have tighter and more controlled bass....almost "punchier" if you will. The S2K's bring more "boom", slamming the low notes with more authority, 40hz and below. I forgot to mention I picked up a used pair of 55x's to sacrifice for their pads, so I had them ready to go before the S2K's arrived. I never even tried them with the stock pads. 

For anyone that has listened to both the Pro 500's and the holy grail S2K's, do my findings sound correct? Just trying to make sure I'm EQ'ing them properly and have a good enough set-up to get the bass pumpin' 100%. I'm not missing anything correct?

Spotify premium
Equalify Pro EQ
Dragonfly DAC
Fiio E12 amp, high gain, bass boost on
HA55X pads on the SZ2K's

On my EQ I have 30hz and 50hz +4db, and 60hz +3db. I also have the high end in the negative for "kill" mode. Preamp gain is turned way down to avoid distortion, around -12db. 

Oct 22, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #7,823 of 12,991
  Well I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of SZ2K's, and they arrived earlier this week! Previously over the past 18 months or so, I've been enjoying my Yamaha Pro 500's, which I currently still have. To my surprise the Pro 500's are closer to the S2K's bass impact than I was expecting.....those 500's really pound!

Where the S2K's really shine compared to the Pro 500's is in the lower sub bass. The S2K's really hit the low frequency harder, as they are much more "full" down below 35-40hz or so. My set-up for both cans is: Spotify on PC playing through my Dragonfly DAC, then amped with my original E12 on high gain with the bass boost on. I'm also using Equalify Pro for EQ duties in Spotify, boosting the lower frequencies for both cans.

What surprised me the most with the S2K's though, was their decent sound quality once EQ'd. Everyone is absolutely right when they talk about how much these cans love the EQ. I still can't get them to match the Pro 500's in overall sound quality, but I got them much closer than I was expecting. For what I mostly listen to (hip-hop, rap, EDM) the S2K's sound fantastic!

On my set-up, the Pro 500's seem to match the S2K's in bass quantity from 50hz and above, but the Pro 500's have tighter and more controlled bass....almost "punchier" if you will. The S2K's bring more "boom", slamming the low notes with more authority, 40hz and below. I forgot to mention I picked up a used pair of 55x's to sacrifice for their pads, so I had them ready to go before the S2K's arrived. I never even tried them with the stock pads. 

For anyone that has listened to both the Pro 500's and the holy grail S2K's, do my findings sound correct? Just trying to make sure I'm EQ'ing them properly and have a good enough set-up to get the bass pumpin' 100%. I'm not missing anything correct?

Spotify premium
Equalify Pro EQ
Dragonfly DAC
HA55X pads on the SZ2K's

On my EQ I have 30hz and 50hz +4db, and 60hz +3db. I also have the high end in the negative for "kill" mode. Preamp gain is turned way down to avoid distortion, around -12db. 

turn your 50hz and lower up to like +16 yo :wink:

Oct 22, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #7,825 of 12,991

With them only boosted to +4db, I already will get light distortion when I approach over half volume on the E12. Possibly due to it being software based equalization instead of hardware based? 

The E12 has enough juice and it's possible it's the EQ of your choice causing distortion. I rock software EQ and have no issues with it.

Oct 22, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #7,827 of 12,991
Well I just downloaded Equalizer APO for windows, and played around with it real quick. I was able to configure it to work with my Dragonfly DAC, and since it's system wide it works with Spotify. Makes me wish I downloaded this first before I spent the money on Equalify Pro, but oh well lol.

After I disabled Equalify Pro, I gave it a shot with EQ APO. I boosted 50hz and below +10db, and in doing so had to turn the pre-amp down to -16 or so to avoid distortion. Well my results were good, pounding bass as expected, but it wasn't any better than the plug-in EQ in Spotify. So I guess I had that EQ set-up very well.

Just want you all to know, I'm not saying the SZ2K's are not SLAMMING the bass, they are pounding! I guess I just was expecting a larger difference between them and the Pro 500's. I still absolutely love the SZ2K's though! If I had to pick between them or the Pro 500's, I'd keep the JVC's. 

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #7,828 of 12,991
  Well I just downloaded Equalizer APO for windows, and played around with it real quick. I was able to configure it to work with my Dragonfly DAC, and since it's system wide it works with Spotify. Makes me wish I downloaded this first before I spent the money on Equalify Pro, but oh well lol.

After I disabled Equalify Pro, I gave it a shot with EQ APO. I boosted 50hz and below +10db, and in doing so had to turn the pre-amp down to -16 or so to avoid distortion. Well my results were good, pounding bass as expected, but it wasn't any better than the plug-in EQ in Spotify. So I guess I had that EQ set-up very well.

Just want you all to know, I'm not saying the SZ2K's are not SLAMMING the bass, they are pounding! I guess I just was expecting a larger difference between them and the Pro 500's. I still absolutely love the SZ2K's though! If I had to pick between them or the Pro 500's, I'd keep the JVC's. 

The Pro 500 are beastly but the 55x padded sz2k should be clearly beyond the Yammy's. Are you using stock pads?

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #7,829 of 12,991

Spotify premium
Equalify Pro EQ
Dragonfly DAC
HA55X pads on the SZ2K's

I also use equalify.  You shouldn't be getting distortion with the preamp turned all the way down.  I can add +13db from 80hz down and no distortion at all.  I suspect the bass boost on the amp is the cause.

try this, it a really easy eq boost.

Low shelf
80hz +13db
Q @ .9
preamp gain -12db
bass boost off on amp

And yes, CHANGE THOSE NASTY ASS STOCK PADS 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back