The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Mar 24, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #6,556 of 12,992
Curious if anyone in the extreme bass club has experience with "Blue Microphones Mo-Fi Powered High-Fidelity Headphones with Integrated Audiophile Amplifier".

it has 50mm drivers so the bass potential is there in passive mode, as per Amazon user reviews the bass response on integrated amplification seems effective if not to a bass head level.

​Interesting approach nevertheless, a good application for scenarios where having an external amp is not feasible.

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #6,561 of 12,992
Mar 25, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #6,563 of 12,992
@NV2U
 I'm loving that color more than that orange.  Anyword if this is the last drop?  if so I mind as well pick up a pair.

I'd reckon it's the last for a while. Ship date for these is August, and the last set of mahogany isn't coming till May, so they're pretty backordered

Mar 25, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #6,564 of 12,992

TH-X00 Juicy tidbits!!! - If you purchased the original Mahogany, (according to Will) you can switch your order to the Purple Heart!

Here's the 4-11 from Will himself:

"Well good news folks. Because this is the first time a situation like this has come up (where we’re releasing an alternative version of the product while customers are still waiting on the original to ship) we’re giving all participants of the last TH-X00 drop the opportunity to switch to the Purpleheart if they so desire.
If you want to get in on the purpleheart, join the drop, go to your transaction page, find the TH-X00 Mahogany transaction, and click "Contact Support".

HOW MUCH DO THE TH-X00 PURPLEHEART COST?
$449 (includes free domestic shipping - Price increase is due to the cost of the more expensive wood.
There is a quantity of 1000 with a possibility of an increase to 2000

WHEN DO THE PURPLEHEART CANS SHIP?
Expected ship date: Early August 2016
(The TH-X00 takes 3 months to produce. They are shipped by boat overseas (4-6 week journey)

I LIKED THE MAHOGANY, WILL THEY EVER COME BACK?
There will be another drop for the Mahogany in May. Because there will be some people who decided to switch their order and go with the Purpleheart instead of the Mahogany, The Mahogany Drop in May items will ship sooner than the Purpleheart (according to Will).

OTHER THAN TYPE OF WOOD, HOW ELSE DO THE MAHOGANY vs PURPLEHEART DIFFER?

Via: Will from Massdrop
-----------------------------------------
How does the difference in Purpleheart wood impact the sound?
-----------------------------------------
Sub-bass (~50hz) through bass (~250hz) is increased ~2 db while following the same curve as the original (peak is at 50hz).

Lower midrange (~500hz-800hz) is decreased by ~5db, and where the Mahogany has a slight peak at ~600hz, the Purpleheart has a smoother climb from 500hz to 1000hz.

Midrange proper ( ~1000hz-2000hz) is essentially the same as the Mahogany.

Upper midrange (~2k-6k) is ~2db less throughout.

Highs (~8k-10k) are slightly more emphasized. Peaks and valleys are positioned differently than on the Mahogany, magnitude of peaks and valleys is similar.

Super Highs (~12k-20k) are more present. Where the Mahogany falls off at ~14k, the Purpleheart maintains presence throughout that range. This is something for the community to verify, but overall top-end extension should be improved.

CSD Graphs of the TH-X00 Mahogany showed some resonance at 3k and 6k, these mostly eliminated with the Purpleheart.
All of these are subtle changes, driven by the community’s response to the original TH-X00.

Mar 25, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #6,565 of 12,992

@NV2U I'm loving that color more than that orange.  Anyword if this is the last drop?  if so I mind as well pick up a pairA 

A couple of things, Chill. It quite possibly will be the last drop of the year for the Purpleheart because it takes 3 months to produce and then an additional 4-6 weeks to ship. I don't know if they would squeeze out another order in the last quarter...There is no official word but I'm not going bank on there being another drop due to the end-of-the-year timeline.

However, the Purpleheart will possibly have its original quantity doubled, putting more of them in the pipeline from gate.

***See my post above with quotes from Will of MassDrop, to ascertain that the subtle changes between the two cans meet your expectations!

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #6,566 of 12,992

These things are beautiful

Thanks @NV2U I was reading up it right now.  I don't know how they keep on coming out with these.  As i remembered reading that fostex stop making these drivers.  i was thinking that Massdrop went to them for a collaboration until all the drivers are gone.  Maybe they started making them again since these Cans are doing so well.  Just my guest though.

Yeah really thinking about these.

Mar 25, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #6,570 of 12,992
The overall quality will be better compared to the SZ series,the HE-6 can hit really hard and deep while keeping the rest of the spectrum balanced.

Mind you,a proper HE-6 setup can go into $2.5k or more territory. The HE-6 is notorious for amping requirements.

Mine runs off a mid size nuclear facility:grinning::grinning:

The HE-6 sounds like a great headphone, with deep hitting bass which does not muddy up the mids. I need to audition these cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back