The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Dec 21, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #5,629 of 12,992

I'm gonna get a used TH-X00 hopefully, replace the pads on that.
I have SZ on the way cause my wife rocks and saw my bookmark for this thread. Got SZ5k pads on the way for that.
Does the Hifiman not compare to the Fostex in terms of bass?

I heard HE400i and it doesn't have good bass at all. I haven't heard HE-6 but a basshead friend of mine has HE-6 and TH900, and he says while HE-6 has very good bass, TH900 impact and slam are better. TH900 bass is the best I've ever heard. I would buy it if it weren't for the peaks in highs. I hope the upcoming TH900 MK2 has smoother highs.

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #5,631 of 12,992
whatever is thicker/denser will be less leaky and therefore better bass... stax usually uses hard leather for this reason.

what exactly is the SZ5000 pads? i am trying to find them but i just keep finding pads intended for all model SZ's.

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #5,632 of 12,992
I currently own the X2's but they don't extend far enough into sub bass for me.  What would be a good recommendation for something with good overall sound quality, but will deliver that extra low sub bass?  I was considering the SZ2000's but I don't know if they will be too much bass for me.  I know it's all subjective, but without extreme EQ and bass boost will the SZ2000 do what I want or should I look elsewhere?  I only want to spend about $250.  Thanks.

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #5,633 of 12,992

I heard HE400i and it doesn't have good bass at all. I haven't heard HE-6 but a basshead friend of mine has HE-6 and TH900, and he says while HE-6 has very good bass, TH900 impact and slam are better. TH900 bass is the best I've ever heard. I would buy it if it weren't for the peaks in highs. I hope the upcoming TH900 MK2 has smoother highs.

It doesn't have good bass because they're open headphones. Open headphones are not so good with bass because the sound is leaking out through the open grilles on the sides of the headphones. If you want good bass from these headphones you need a very powerful amp for them.
Really? I've been using the velor hm5 ones thinking my bass was weaker than it should be. Think I'll get a few db boost with leather or another material? What're the bassiest earpads and how much difference can they make from velor?

Velour is not so dense and thus it does not transfer the bass fully, I read somewhere that the air pockets within the velour material contributed to lack of bass as well. Velour is comfortable on the ears but definitely not pads for bass. If you're using the SZs get the pads from any Xtreme Xplosive headphones like the HA-MR55x or HA-MR77x.

whatever is thicker/denser will be less leaky and therefore better bass... stax usually uses hard leather for this reason.

what exactly is the SZ5000 pads? i am trying to find them but i just keep finding pads intended for all model SZ's.

SZ5000? Or SZ2000?

Dec 21, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #5,635 of 12,992
What's this SZ5000 everyone's mentioning? This guy? Doesn't look like it'd feel great on my ears. 

The HM5 pads come in both velour and pleather. The SZ2000s I bought came with a pair of the velours, which have been enjoyable, but I've just ordered a pair of the pleather. Another user, I believe in the SZ2000 thread, directly compared the HA-MR55X pads, HiFiMan pads, and the HM5 pleather pads, and found ultimate satisfaction with the HM5s. 

Dec 21, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #5,636 of 12,992
What's this SZ5000 everyone's mentioning? This guy? Doesn't look like it'd feel great on my ears. 

The HM5 pads come in both velour and pleather. The SZ2000s I bought came with a pair of the velours, which have been enjoyable, but I've just ordered a pair of the pleather. Another user, I believe in the SZ2000 thread, directly compared the HA-MR55X pads, HiFiMan pads, and the HM5 pleather pads, and found ultimate satisfaction with the HM5s. 

Yeah I ended up getting the velour hm5 without thinking twice about looking for other materials. I love the feel of the velour, very cozy, but please do post a comparison on bass quality between the two. I'd love to hear how they stack up against each other.

Dec 21, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #5,637 of 12,992
I'm gonna get a used TH-X00 hopefully, replace the pads on that.
I have SZ on the way cause my wife rocks and saw my bookmark for this thread. Got SZ5k pads on the way for that.
Does the Hifiman not compare to the Fostex in terms of bass?

Man she does rock, I can't even talk to my girl about any of this without her getting annoyed-bass makes her quezy haha. Congratulations!

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #5,639 of 12,992
Yeah I ended up getting the velour hm5 without thinking twice about looking for other materials. I love the feel of the velour, very cozy, but please do post a comparison on bass quality between the two. I'd love to hear how they stack up against each other.

From what I recall the HMA pads gave more bass and comfort when compared to the stock pads. However, the HA-MR55X/HA-MR77X pads gave more bass impact at the cost of comfort when compared to the HMA pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back