The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Dec 10, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #5,447 of 12,992
Guys who have android be aware you don't need adding multiple amps for bass boost. Just root and install viper4android and maybe Neutron if you want to raise even more the 20-25hz. Stop thinking you can get good bass and tons of bass only with a bass boost on an amp. Viper4android do the trick with ease! With my sz2000 and ibasso d14 without bass boost I use dynamic bass 1% and natural bass 6db and I m already happy (I also increase slightly the 20-25hz by 3db with neutron). I don't imagine how it would make my head vibrate with 20% dynamic and subwoofer bass 8 dB settings.....

Dec 10, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #5,448 of 12,992
   By looking at the list, I'm guessing you've never tried Darth Beyers before. 

No I have.
Other members such as Oregonian among others and Casper TFG have as well. There are many variations of that unit/mod/custom piece of awesome but the one I heard and that some have tried were about like the JVC DX1000 which is to say the quality and volume of the bass is impressive but the cup,housing and pad combo eats the bass before it slaps your head.
Nothing but impressed by them but cannot measure them beyond being reminded of the DX1000 hit and the variations and rarity don't allow rec's unless a user modded their set for basshead.

Dec 10, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #5,449 of 12,992
Guys who have android be aware you don't need adding multiple amps for bass boost. Just root and install viper4android and maybe Neutron if you want to raise even more the 20-25hz. Stop thinking you can get good bass and tons of bass only with a bass boost on an amp. Viper4android do the trick with ease! With my sz2000 and ibasso d14 without bass boost I use dynamic bass 1% and natural bass 6db and I m already happy (I also increase slightly the 20-25hz by 3db with neutron). I don't imagine how it would make my head vibrate with 20% dynamic and subwoofer bass 8 dB settings.....

I have moved away from effect based boosting. I want power and an effective FIR eq (portable) like the Onkyo but turned off any upsampling of my files.

I would never double boost a signal. I actually listen at very high levels and distortion and artifacts are definitely audible when a signal is being handled at more than one power stage.

Dec 10, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #5,450 of 12,992

Perfect, exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much. 

The first few seconds of this track for sparkle check. How much there really is is A LOT and any sets with muted or veil will produce for lass wind chiming

Male vocals and seeing how far to pull the 125-1k with this after the sparkle check
wink.gif

I grew up with this stuff in my moms collection and if I can get some clarity and space between the instruments then that eq with a push...maybe...in the bass area is good to go for any modern R&B, Hip Hop or Reggae track.

Focusing on a guitarist,bassist,drummer and vocals and a stage and is a good test for the slope. Pads and tips and units will vary a bit but the setting being based on a stage group is wise. Doesn't matter if every member was recorded separate because the studio would have placed them on at least a L/R virtual stage though likely more complex. The Dark Side of the Moon recorded at Abbey roads had 16 layer ability and a buncha cool stuff that will take you out of your head at best and present a good stage show at the least.

So eq for Rock and let the bass grow as needed.

Just my opinion.

Now adjusted to rock with bass emphasized.....play this

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #5,451 of 12,992
 No I have.
Other members such as Oregonian among others and Casper TFG have as well. There are many variations of that unit/mod/custom piece of awesome but the one I heard and that some have tried were about like the JVC DX1000 which is to say the quality and volume of the bass is impressive but the cup,housing and pad combo eats the bass before it slaps your head.
Nothing but impressed by them but cannot measure them beyond being reminded of the DX1000 hit and the variations and rarity don't allow rec's unless a user modded their set for basshead.

I definitely agree about the pads, I put my XB1000 pads on my Pro 900's and they were hitting very hard and sounded completely different. I would love to hear Darth Beyers with those type of pads, or maybe some alpha, 77x, or HM5 pads.

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #5,452 of 12,992
The general answer to your question is: You can do it, but it's a pretty bad idea.

Because the signal level required to power headphones is in the same range as a line level audio signal, and headphone amplifiers have volume controls, you can always turn the output of one amp down to a level where you can then use it as the input signal to a second amplifier. The problem with doing that is that the distortion and noise from both amplifiers will be added together. (You aren't in any way "adding the power of the two amplifiers together"; you're simply running the signal through both of them; but only the amplifier actually connected to the headphones is driving them - the other one is acting as a preamp.) How much of a problem this will be will depend on the performance of the individual amplifiers.

The other problem is that bass requires a lot of energy, so applying a huge amount of bass boost is going to increase the amount of power your amplifier needs to deliver, and the amount of power your headphones need to be able to handle without distortion. (And many amps, and many headphones, are going to sound really bad if you drive them that hard. You're basically in the same situation as someone who wants to apply a huge amount of EQ some other way - your equipment has to be able to handle it.)

The other thing is that no amount of EQ is going to add bass that simply isn't there to begin with (if the recording simply doesn't go low enough).

There are, however, several interesting things you can play with if you're playing audio FILES rather than streaming content. If so, then you can use an audio editor program to "pre-process" your files before you play them. There are lots of audio editing programs and plugins that offer really flexible and powerful processing and EQ options. (You might try out Adobe Audition and the Izotope Ozone plugin. They aren't cheap, but you can get a thirty-day free trial to play with.) There is also a type of plugin called "a subharmonic synthesizer" - which actually ADDS BASS by recreating subharmonics.... so, for example, if there's a 52 Hz note present, the synthesizer adds a 26 Hz "subharmonic" bass note. These actually WILL allow you to add bass that wasn't there before, but that is "harmonically related to the music". There are a few of them, and they work to varying degrees - you'll find several if you Google the term. (I wouldn't recommend them for serious listening, but they are fun.)

In general, the headphone amplifier is what drives the headphones, so you can't put a standalone EQ between the amp and headphones (if you do, the EQ then becomes your amp - because it's what's actually attached to the headphones). If you want to use a standalone EQ, then you need to put it between your player and your headphone amp (so they must be separate), or you need to add a headphone amp after it (or get some sort of combination headphone amp with EQ).

Quote:
A few questions:

Is it feasible to hook up multiple amps along the same path for additive bass boost? Ie, If I got a micro idsd but wanted more bass boost, could I hook up another portable amp with bass boost between it and my headphones for an additive boost, or is that just crazy talk?

Are there standalone hardware equalizers that would work between idsd and headphones?

Could I hook up a digital device, eg fiio x series, between the idsd and headphones for software eq?

I just really need something with spdif to analog converter and strong bass boosting for my gaming, music, and movie needs.

Does the bass boost on the ican knock the socks off the boost on the idsd?

I'm having a real tough time trying to burn a ~$500 hole in my pocket to setup up the best sounding, bassiest ps4/xb1/pc/note 4 system to use with my SZ2000s. The option of adding another amp with bass boost or a hardware eq would make the idsd a no brained for me due to is versatility and future proofness. I just live in the middle of nowhere and can't really test these things out.

I'll sacrifice portability for now if I must so I have something to look forward to everyday coming home from work.

Please help! I don't know enough about what these devices are all capable of. I may be trying to have my cake and eat it too.

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #5,453 of 12,992

Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 - not very much less bass, definitely smoother treble!

I wouldn't deceive! They have just as much bass potential with EQ as well.

You're of the opinion that the TH-X00 is the TH-600 with wood cups and different pads, correct? Meaning they are the same drivers and internals? If so that gives me confidence that cups and pads alone can totally transform the sound of the TH-600. What is the size of the Lawton pads like? The TH-X00 pads are a bit cramped while the stock pads are almost too big. I'm trying to find a happy medium.

Dec 10, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #5,454 of 12,992
I'd been reading the TH-X00 thread where people pretty much were in agreement it used most of the same parts as the TH-600. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't at least as capable of pumping the bass. I'd like to pick one up for bass cans, but I'm waiting for the hype in the classifieds to die down a bit. Unless I find someone who'd rather have vintage Stax than TH-X00's :D

Dec 10, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #5,455 of 12,992
You're of the opinion that the TH-X00 is the TH-600 with wood cups and different pads, correct? Meaning they are the same drivers and internals? If so that gives me confidence that cups and pads alone can totally transform the sound of the TH-600. What is the size of the Lawton pads like? The TH-X00 pads are a bit cramped while the stock pads are almost too big. I'm trying to find a happy medium.

I believe they're the same, yes. The Lawton pads are nice, but they'll kill all the smoothness (any pad change will). I commented a bunch about high impact polystyrene, high density polyurethane, etc. in the TH-X00 thread. You can make yourself some inserts so aftermarket pads will sound similarly smooth to the stock pads.

I'll probably sell my Audeze vegan pads and inserts I made at some point because I don't get to keep the TH-X00 (just a loaner) and I'm trying to make myself use the stock pads on my JVC HA-DX2000 instead of Audeze.

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #5,457 of 12,992

I have moved away from effect based boosting. I want power and an effective FIR eq (portable) like the Onkyo but turned off any upsampling of my files.

I would never double boost a signal. I actually listen at very high levels and distortion and artifacts are definitely audible when a signal is being handled at more than one power stage.

Viper is just a lot about equalizing..........I ll do a video of paper bass test with viper and my D14 + SZ2000

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #5,458 of 12,992

I believe they're the same, yes. The Lawton pads are nice, but they'll kill all the smoothness (any pad change will). I commented a bunch about high impact polystyrene, high density polyurethane, etc. in the TH-X00 thread. You can make yourself some inserts so aftermarket pads will sound similarly smooth to the stock pads.

I'll probably sell my Audeze vegan pads and inserts I made at some point because I don't get to keep the TH-X00 (just a loaner) and I'm trying to make myself use the stock pads on my JVC HA-DX2000 instead of Audeze.

I've been emailing back and forth with Mark Lawton and asked if he thinks they're the same drivers. He believes that, while they're the same size 50mm drivers, they're tuned slightly differently, so the sound is not just the work of the cups and pads. That isn't an official word or anything, just an 'expert opinion'. Take it for what it's worth. He also said he's gotten a ton of business from the TH-X00 for DIY tune-up packages and even orders for new cups, which is interesting.

I'm moving forward with some Monkey Pod cups from your boy Lohb for my TH-600s and will probably look at a DIY Lawton tune-up as well for a "low budget" upgrade. The TH-X00 costs less than the lowest level Lawton wood cups so I can't justify a full blown upgrade for a minimum of $1000.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #5,459 of 12,992
It's always fun being out on the town with 'Baby Sinister.' I've encountered some interesting questions:
Men: Small talk leading to..."Mind if I turn the knob?"
Women: "Is it safe?"
Boys: "Can it change into a Robot?"
Girls: "Can it make cookies & cupcakes?"
biggrin.gif

I'm inferring that I should be seeing pic of something but I see nada???

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #5,460 of 12,992
It's always fun being out on the town with 'Baby Sinister.' I've encountered some interesting questions:

Men: Small talk leading to..."Mind if I turn the knob?"

Women: "Is it safe?"

Boys: "Can it change into a Robot?"

Girls: "Can it make cookies

I'm inferring that I should be seeing pic of something but I see nada???

@chillaxing posted a pic a page or two back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back