The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Dec 3, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #5,402 of 12,992
 Lets build a Christmas buying guide for the tons of folks who visit here before Christmas and make sure they don't get rec'd Senn's.

1. For the basshead (chronic)

2.  For the budding basshead maybe gonna crawl up the refined basshead  tree branch

this group might include wireless/BT and the like

3.  Established music lover, knows there stuff but would like more low end than the AKG they got

Quote:
Cool! I'll play.

1 - JVC HA-SZ2000, iFi iDSD Micro, any player that does decent digital OUT, and can take a good EQ app, or has one built-in. Then revisit ALL your old stuff and hear it all like never before unless you are already into heavy automotive or speaker bass.
biggrin.gif
. Represents ~$6-800 overall cost potential

2 - JVC HA SR85S, any decent music player with EQ and bass boost. These thump nicely straight out of a phone, and I consider them a good match for "mainstream listeners" who just want to go nuts now and then... (Comfy as all get out as well!) Represents ~$80 overall cost potential if you use a phone or player you already have

3 - Sennheiser HD-650, Asgard 2 or Bottlehead Crack amp, Chord Mojo, and a good DSD/lossless player or PC/MAC
Cost will vary wildly depending on if you have the PC/player you want already.

Cool thank you @knorris908

that makes 2 folks who could take 2 minutes.
Impressive
rolleyes.gif

Wonder why bass lovers get less respect by manufacturers and it is the case.....it's partly related to folks acting like me me me me monsters. I get it...I am an only child and am obviously a going my way type.

This site is mostly viewed by non members so would it break your ******* back to take 5 minutes to help build a shopping guide ??
This isn't a ******* club it's a PUBLIC thread and the views will go up in the next 3 weeks so act like you give a **** and take a moment.

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #5,404 of 12,992

Lets build a Christmas buying guide for the tons of folks who visit here before Christmas and make sure they don't get rec'd Senn's.

2.  For the budding basshead maybe gonna crawl up the refined basshead  tree branch

3.  Established music lover, knows there stuff but would like more low end than the AKG they got

Cool! I'll play.

1 - JVC HA-SZ2000, iFi iDSD Micro, any player that does decent digital OUT, and can take a good EQ app, or has one built-in. Then revisit ALL your old stuff and hear it all like never before unless you are already into heavy automotive or speaker bass.
biggrin.gif
. Represents ~$6-800 overall cost potential

2 - JVC HA SR85S, any decent music player with EQ and bass boost. These thump nicely straight out of a phone, and I consider them a good match for "mainstream listeners" who just want to go nuts now and then... (Comfy as all get out as well!) Represents ~$80 overall cost potential if you use a phone or player you already have

3 - Sennheiser HD-650, Asgard 2 or Bottlehead Crack amp, Chord Mojo, and a good DSD/lossless player or PC/MAC
Cost will vary wildly depending on if you have the PC/player you want already.

The JVC buyer's guy to bass:

JVC HA-SZ2000 or HA-SZ1000

2. For the budding basshead maybe gonna crawl up the refined basshead  tree branch
JVC Esnsy HA-SR85S

3. Established music lover, knows their stuff but would like more low end than the AKG they got
JVC HP-DX1000

Dec 4, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #5,405 of 12,992
I'll put up a controversial #2 - HE-500 with proper pads, amp and DSP/EQ. Perhaps not a true-Basshead can but with a little EQ the bass is clean and miles deep without overwhelming everything else. HE-400 are supposedly even better for LF but sacrifice some of the liquid midrange. 

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #5,406 of 12,992
Hhahahahha.  Your are right man.  These are the same people that spend 2k just to hear a different sound signature, when a free EQ and/or sound processor can do the same with a lesser headphone/speaker.  "Audiophiles" crack me up with their nonsense.

+1000 likes! There should be a sticky post here to explain that equalizers must be used before thinking of buying amp for bass boost etc....

Dec 4, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #5,407 of 12,992

Hi guys,

1. From my perspective (since I haven't had the pleasure to hear the JVC) I'll say the TH900 and/or Denon D7000 fed right (vintage amps with tone controls and loudness switch) gives more than ample bass.  For open back the HE-400 from HiFiMan, modded with Audeze pads and fed out of speaker taps is incredible with regards to bass. 
2. M Audio Q40 - yes, it's a 40mm driver but for low cost entry into good bass it's still used by me.  I'll also add the Ultrasone Performance 840 to this mix - I use it for my yardwork portable setup with an iPod Touch and Cayin C5 and ripped off the lame stock pads and put MrSpeaker Alpha pads on it.  Thumps and has great isolation.  Then you have the Denon D2000 which has more than enough bass for many and modded with Lawton damping is tight in the low end. 
3. Just got the ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000 and am blown away how capable it is with bass.  Took a week of use to handle the vintage thumps but now it's incredible.  BTW it is an open back but not as "open" as my HD800 for example (people can't hear your music very well).  The all time TOTL headphone I felt was the best bass was the HE-6, again fed from speaker taps a la the HE-400.  Truly visceral bass.

Hope this helps. 

Dec 5, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #5,412 of 12,992
The Cayin and Fiio will be about as loud as a rats fart in a church. I have a 6W/ch headphone amp and it barely powers the HE6.

Anything less than a proper speaker amp with a power supply bigger than your computer is probably not gonna cut it with the HE6.

Dec 5, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #5,413 of 12,992

Why is it not top 10? Should be..?

Can we get a controlled test with a Cayin C5 or a e12?

I do not think mine would do great on the paper test.  I use Audeze vegan pads, they absorb and disperse the hit more evenly. (They even do that to the SZ). When the pads wear more and I change them I will do a video with J-money or Alpha pads.  once you break the seal of the Audeze pads its over for them.

I run a First watt amp (Nelson pass) with mine, or a vintage receiver. 

HBB, I think you would like having a planar HP in your line up, they do a good job of bringing the  audiophile and bass head world together. I am sure you have tested them in stores, but until you experiment with different amps and EQ's an audition does them no justice. A cheap and fun headphone to mess with is the HE-400, it can handle a ton of power and be EQed to sound any way you want it to. If you lived in this hemisphere I would gladly send some gear your way to try!

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #5,415 of 12,992

HBB, I think you would like having a planar HP in your line up, they do a good job of bringing the  audiophile and bass head world together. I am sure you have tested them in stores, but until you experiment with different amps and EQ's an audition does them no justice. A cheap and fun headphone to mess with is the HE-400, it can handle a ton of power and be EQed to sound any way you want it to. If you lived in this hemisphere I would gladly send some gear your way to try!

I almost grabbed a set of 400i but decided to wait until ya'll let me know which one had the most potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back