The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Nov 21, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #5,281 of 12,992
I received my ATH-WS1100 this morning after multiple struggles with the customs. Any way finally had to pay 70 euros for customs which made me paid at the end around 300 euros for it instead of around 200 if i was living in Japan

I won't make any review as i'm not used to that and won't have time and vocabulary to make a good one. I have some test songs for bass which are here http://www.head-fi.org/t/780931/best-music-test-tracks-share#post_11926781 so i used them plus some rnb songs to test voice and clarity. Before starting my tests i let it play pink noise for 1 hour then different bass test songs for 1 hour as well 

Owning vmoda m100 which have been my favourite for ages and jvc ha-sz2000 what i can say after a few minutes of listening is that clarity is remarkable !! That's exactly the kind of clarity i had been looking for for a while that i couldn't find even with earphones like aurisonics ASG 2.5 which i found a little metallic. ATH-WS1100 has so clear voices and instruments. Soundstage is also better than the vmoda m100 with XL pads. I guess it's cause it is a real over-the-ear (the m100s even with xl pads don't envelop the entier ear except it you have small ones). It does really give a feeling of airness. Something so nice that makes you enjoy the voices of your favourite singers. 
Regarding the bass it's nice as well. It has a nice slam and very enjoyable mid-bass. But, yes there is a but, one my favourite tests songs, it occured that it can't go as low as my vmoda m100. In fact under 30hz the bass is kind of roll-off. I tried raising it with equalizer but couldn't get it sound like i like. The objective feeling is that IMO it just can't produce extra deep bass (<30hz). I love those extra deep bass. So as the m100 is number 9 in the top 10 i can't place the WS1100 before cause this TOP 10 is for the best bass cans......

Overall  : I want to say that the ATH WS1100 can give you clarity and treble without eq ! I was very impressed. Nothing to touch. I guess there is a kind of U signature but one that doesn't hide the mids. Or maybe they just produced a good quality driver :). I think i'm very picky about the extra deep bass (<30hz). Cause IMO they really determine the bass capabilities of headphones (as well as speakers and subwoofers). Cause producing a 60hz bass is easy. Lots of headphones that are not bassheads can do it. But producing the basses <30hz which give you this feeling or air pushing it very difficult. So only real bassheads products can achieve it. All this to say that i know many people here maybe won't pay attention to the fact the extra deep basses are not well produced. Cause again depending of the music you listen it's rare to have songs with those extra deep basses. If you take time to listen to my bass test songs and you have a can which is in TOP 10 you'll understand what i mean. So i think most of the people would be happy with ATH WS1100 and even more if you can get it without having to pay customs !! For around 200 euros it's really very good.

Isolation is also better than vmoda m100 + xl pads. comfort better as well. I dont think it's as strong and durable but except that point and the bass point it's better in every other aspects. I thought i had got rid of the veil of the SZ2000 but when i plugged the WS1100 it remined me immediately the reality !! Lack of clarity on the SZ2000 even with extreme equalization. So if you're looking for a good all around headphones for 200 euros and you don't listen to songs made by producers like 808 mafia, Lex lugar, Sonny digital, Metro Boomin etc...i think it's really worth it. 

But if you like those extreme deep basses honestly i would go away. If i was to be hard i would say that just because it can play those frequencies well it doesn't deserve to be in TOP 10... 

Now i'm gonna try to sell it in Paris

Edit : I tried to put ath ws1100 pads on the sz2000 with hm5 thick pads and vice versa in case.....result is not better in both case

Edit 2 : Forgot to precise tests were done with macbook air + ibasso D14 // HTC M8 + ibasso d14 via usb

Edit 3 : It seems not to require much amp to shine. My HTC M8 + Fiio e6 does the job pretty well

Nov 21, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #5,282 of 12,992
For guys with IOS devices i've just found that as i was trying to help a friend who has an iphone 6 (my last iphone was 4s)

First jailbreak then install that to increase volume of internal amp (great for phones with EU volume limit for example) : http://apt.thebigboss.org/onepackage.php?bundleid=org.hacx.volumeamplifier (or look for Volume Amplifier on Cydia)

Then install this system-wide Equalizer :

http://moreinfo.thebigboss.org/moreinfo/depiction.php?file=equalizereverywhereDp

Then modify the frequencies as you want thanks to that :  
http://r333d.com/EQE/how_to_add_custom_freqs.html/

Don't hesitate to share to IOS users :)

Nov 21, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #5,285 of 12,992
@flashmp3

If the website's specifications are accurate, you should definitely be able to EQ those to get sub-bass out the arse.

What were you doing for EQ? You should be using a shelf with a parametric equalizer. Something like a High Shelf of -10dB at 1.64 bandwidth @ 125Hz. 

Also, lots of people think burn-in is BS, but I don't anymore. I've noticed sub-bass in particular tends to improve with use.

Run something like full-range classical music constantly for the first week on loop when you're not using the headphones. This playlist would do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v52gJKS1PWQ&list=PLA6R2TCwmV3-6bg2pSnN5ibYOZlfeyF3z

Nov 21, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #5,287 of 12,992
Emailed Mark Lawton from Lawton Audio about a tune-up, new pads, wood cups and recable for my TH600. The total cost would be about twice the cost of the headphones alone. I'm wondering if anyone else has done any mods and what their experience was?

The only mod you really need is the tune up and you can do it yourself.  Pads are an improvement for sure but truly the sound comes from the Fatmat damping.  Cable and Lawton's $400 cups are absolutely not needed or worth the cost.  As Luckbad said, if anything, buy an aftermarket pair of cups for $100ish. 

Nov 21, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #5,288 of 12,992
@flashmp3

If the website's specifications are accurate, you should definitely be able to EQ those to get sub-bass out the arse.

What were you doing for EQ? You should be using a shelf with a parametric equalizer. Something like a High Shelf of -10dB at 1.64 bandwidth @ 125Hz. 

Also, lots of people think burn-in is BS, but I don't anymore. I've noticed sub-bass in particular tends to improve with use.

Run something like full-range classical music constantly for the first week on loop when you're not using the headphones. This playlist would do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v52gJKS1PWQ&list=PLA6R2TCwmV3-6bg2pSnN5ibYOZlfeyF3z

HI Bro you can trust me I m not a newbie in terms of equalization. I asked you questions by the past regarding different cans but it doesn't mean I m new too bass :wink:

I try to eq it as I could too raise 20-30hz frequencies. I increased it (decreasing main gain at the same time too avoid distortion which is the same of doing your highshelf method) the most I could till until the saturation point. I may have added +12 dB. But it couldn't just do it well.... I don't use your highshelf method just cause my applications allow to modify main gain and the main reason is that I m a fan of 20-50hz bass and don't like 100-120hz too much. Again it s easy to reproduce 120hz. Any non Basshead headphones can do it. But the 20hz is lot harder and is like a good test to evaluate if the headphones can provide good bass or not cause being able to give you the real 20hz and give it loud is definitely a proof of capacity

Regarding burn in I do believe in fact with time headphones get better. I could compare my vmoda m100 with a brand new one and realise it. However there are no miracles. If it can do something it won't be able to do it after burn-in. But again I have to precise I listen to songs with lots of ultra deep bass. Lots of people listing to other genre may not notice.... Listen to my tests songs and compare for example your dx1000 with a pair of in-ear. You ll notice in fact some frequencies just seem missing on the in-ear like if the driver was to small to reproduce it

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #5,289 of 12,992
HI Bro you can trust me I m not a newbie in terms of equalization. I asked you questions by the past regarding different cans but it doesn't mean I m new too bass :wink:

I try to eq it as I could too raise 20-30hz frequencies. I increased it (decreasing main gain at the same time too avoid distortion which is the same of doing your highshelf method) the most I could till until the saturation point. I may have added +12 dB. But it couldn't just do it well.... I don't use your highshelf method just cause my applications allow to modify main gain and the main reason is that I m a fan of 20-50hz bass and don't like 100-120hz too much. Again it s easy to reproduce 120hz. Any non Basshead headphones can do it. But the 20hz is lot harder and is like a good test to evaluate if the headphones can provide good bass or not cause being able to give you the real 20hz and give it loud is definitely a proof of capacity

Regarding burn in I do believe in fact with time headphones get better. I could compare my vmoda m100 with a brand new one and realise it. However there are no miracles. If it can do something it won't be able to do it after burn-in. But again I have to precise I listen to songs with lots of ultra deep bass. Lots of people listing to other genre may not notice.... Listen to my tests songs and compare for example your dx1000 with a pair of in-ear. You ll notice in fact some frequencies just seem missing on the in-ear like if the driver was to small to reproduce it

Dang! Was hoping you were doing something super wrong. If we get confirmation from one more basshead, I guess these cans aren't making the list.

Nov 22, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #5,290 of 12,992
Dang! Was hoping you were doing something super wrong. If we get confirmation from one more basshead, I guess these cans aren't making the list.

I realize I ve made lots of faults in terms of grammar. Please pardon me I m French.

Yes wait for some reviews or if you can do it on your own there is nothing better. But from what I ve seen here regarding the hardware they use or the song they listen too some people here may not notice..... For example using an iPod classic + an amp even with bass boost like fiio e12 may take it hard to notice the extreme low frequencies are not played well. Ipods classic have crappy equalizers and are pretty week in deep bass. Honestly you can trust me. In the past I asked you questions about headphones and maybe amps it is cause you have been able to test lot more products. I wasn't aware of the calculation of sensitivity as well etc... And even if now I ve got it completely, it doesn't change anything in the fact I m a hardcore basshead :grin:. That's why again I have a lot of respect for the vmoda m100.... It s an excellent all around headphone for Basshead.

I do think in terms of amp my ibasso d14 was way enough to power the ATH-WS1100. I also trust my pc laptop and Equalizer APO, as well as my MacBook with boom 2 equalizer (not boom 1 but boom 2) and my HTC m8 and its audio mods + neutron equalizer to raise even more the 20hz.....
I remember once someone posting here what he called a bass test song..... It was guitar.... So definitely not a good bass test song.... I m not like that lol I do love and know about what is bass... Again just listen to my test songs you will see...

ATH-WS1100 is very good especially its clarity. Isolation etc... Bass is good as well. It is basshead. But when you want reproduce some frequencies, even if you are very good at others like 60hz, I can't recommend you to a basshead user or even try to put you in top 10.

This is not to criticize but for example with all the respect I have for Hawaiibadboy for my personal test, as to repeat I'm a guy that loves ultra deep bass, you know the air pushing the vibration like it was cleaning dust in your ear, I couldn't use its test songs except the whiz Khalifa one, to figure if a headphone is good to me. Cause they don't hit low enough I mean the notes used by the producers of "outta control" for example even if they can hit low, they weren't intend to to so. The extreme low frequency you here some times are just results of bass boosting. But guys like Metro boomin, 808 Mafia, DJ Mustard, do push the ultra low frequency 808 notes! They do want to make you hear this ultra low bass....

You can trust me

Nov 22, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #5,291 of 12,992
I realize I ve made lots of faults in terms of grammar. Please pardon me I m French.

Yes wait for some reviews or if you can do it on your own there is nothing better. But from what I ve seen here regarding the hardware they use or the song they listen too some people here may not notice..... For example using an iPod classic + an amp even with bass boost like fiio e12 may take it hard to notice the extreme low frequencies are not played well. Ipods classic have crappy equalizers and are pretty week in deep bass. Honestly you can trust me. In the past I asked you questions about headphones and maybe amps it is cause you have been able to test lot more products. I wasn't aware of the calculation of sensitivity as well etc... And even if now I ve got it completely, it doesn't change anything in the fact I m a hardcore basshead :grin:. That's why again I have a lot of respect for the vmoda m100.... It s an excellent all around headphone for Basshead.

I do think in terms of amp my ibasso d14 was way enough to power the ATH-WS1100. I also trust my pc laptop and Equalizer APO, as well as my MacBook with boom 2 equalizer (not boom 1 but boom 2) and my HTC m8 and its audio mods + neutron equalizer to raise even more the 20hz.....
I remember once someone posting here what he called a bass test song..... It was guitar.... So definitely not a good bass test song.... I m not like that lol I do love and know about what is bass... Again just listen to my test songs you will see...

ATH-WS1100 is very good especially its clarity. Isolation etc... Bass is good as well. It is basshead. But when you want reproduce some frequencies, even if you are very good at others like 60hz, I can't recommend you to a basshead user or even try to put you in top 10.

This is not to criticize but for example with all the respect I have for @Hawaiibadboy for my personal test, as to repeat I'm a guy that loves ultra deep bass, you know the air pushing the vibration like it was cleaning dust in your ear, I couldn't use its test songs except the whiz Khalifa one, to figure if a headphone is good to me. Cause they don't hit low enough I mean the notes used by the producers of "outta control" for example even if they can hit low, they weren't intend to to so. The extreme low frequency you here some times are just results of bass boosting. But guys like Metro boomin, 808 Mafia, DJ Mustard, do push the ultra low frequency 808 notes! They do want to make you hear this ultra low bass....

You can trust me

I trust you. You are clearly a basshead.

The Wiz track is and will always be this threads comparison test because there are 50+ Headphones that have been compared using it and most folks can see pretty quickly how things compare relative to other tests done with the same track.  It's just gives so many already made comparison points it would be impossible to reset the test unless we had a person with all those cans, lots of time and could take good videos...and had lots of time...and more time.

I think the WS1100 is a great set and i might even buy a pair...pretty sure I will, but for clarity comfort and some bass. I think the way they are venting the driver is related to why it cannot hold or produce a sub 30ish Hz freq very well?

Honestly nothing  IMO compares to an SZ 2000 and 55x pads and an iFi micro iDSD. The sub bass is amazingly powerful.

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #5,292 of 12,992
Yeah I only have used bass mekanik albums to test headphones for bass quantity. I never know of anything that had more bass.

I should have aske g1217 if they'd make an amp with a hw bass boost...

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #5,293 of 12,992

I trust you. You are clearly a basshead.

The Wiz track is and will always be this threads comparison test because there are 50+ Headphones that have been compared using it and most folks can see pretty quickly how things compare relative to other tests done with the same track.  It's just gives so many already made comparison points it would be impossible to reset the test unless we had a person with all those cans, lots of time and could take good videos...and had lots of time...and more time.

I think the WS1100 is a great set and i might even buy a pair...pretty sure I will, but for clarity comfort and some bass. I think the way they are venting the driver is related to why it cannot hold or produce a sub 30ish Hz freq very well?

Honestly nothing  IMO compares to an SZ 2000 and 55x pads and an iFi micro iDSD. The sub bass is amazingly powerful.

Thank you for having taken what i meant how it was to be taken :). Sometimes it's hard to me to express well what i mean in english. From what i've seen here and all the discussion we have had you @Hawaiibadboy and @Luckbad are two guys i really trust when it's about bass. In fact Wiz Khalifa - On My Level is definetely the one !!

Again the WS1100 was so close to become my best all round. Cause they even thought to direct the driver to the ear. I mean you can visually see that by removing the pad. So the sound is directed to your ears with the perfect angle etc...So when i wrote my review i was a lot disappointed cause the clarity and comfort were outstanding !! Too bad....if i was looking mainly to EDM or Techno or oldschool music or anything else like Jazz etc... i wouldn't have noticed and would have been entirely in love with them. Unfortunately i'm a guy of Trap and new school RnB....

I've never had luck to try Fostex TH900 or Mirco iDSD with SZ2000 or even the SZ2000 with the 55x pads, but it's really hard to think something could give more real bass and subbass than this SZ2000 !!! This is just insane and is the first headphones that really makes me wonder about the health of ears 
basshead.gif

Nov 23, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #5,295 of 12,992

Any difference from Dynamat or just preference?

Don't think so.  It's the new brand Lawton Audio switched to a while back. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back