The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Nov 19, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #5,266 of 12,993
Garage1217 has tube amps for around $300. Schiit has the Valhalla 2 for $350 and possibly cheaper B stock. I think you'll get enough extra bass out of a desktop amp as it is IF you're not currently using an amp at all.

I am only using either my Sansa Clip directly or 0404 USB. The 0404 USB's built in headphone amp is made for reference purposes, though, so it is weak on bass and the highs are a bit clearer than they need to be.

I have used my XB90EX out of the headphone jack of my Crown D-75A and that was all I needed to be convinced any amp that was capable of pushing enough power would give XB90EX perfect bass.

I forgot all about Garage1217...

For what it's worth I have the Schiit Lyr 2 and I didn't find the tubes to make as much of a difference as I had worked up in my head. I think part of it is that I don't listen to music that can appreciate tubes. I listen to noisy death metal, bass-heavy rap, and EDM. I also sit at my PC for long stretches and the true tubes make the amp get REALLY hot! I have been using the LYSST solid state "tubes" since the second week because they sound great and don't get half as hot. I ended up keeping the Lyr 2 mostly because of the crazy amount of power it puts out. The Garage1217 Project Polaris is interesting in that it is solid state but offers impedance and treble roll-off adjustments. I know @luckbad is a proponent of the Polaris. And it's under $300 I believe.

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #5,268 of 12,993
Garage1217 makes amazing amps for the money. They're gorgeous and incredibly well-built.

If you want tube flavor without tubes and tons of versatility, you can't go wrong with Polaris. If you want tubes and enough power for any headphone while still being great for IEMs, the Ember is awesome.

I had each on loan for review and want at least one of them for work when funds allow. The Sunrise is quite tempting for my DX2000s as well...

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #5,269 of 12,993
 I think folks tend to send others on endless wild goose chases if the other listener doesn't feel the awesome that they do. (you need this you need that yada yada yada)
That said...just changing the pads to either the 55x for bass impact or HM5 for comfort and a tad bit of stage would be a cheap and worthwhile investment.

I could never get this hit stock pads

When you talk about the 55x is it the WS55X or the MB Quart 55x? I want to buy the pads but I'm unsure of the headphone model.

Nov 20, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #5,271 of 12,993
yesterday i hmv i listened to tdk st170 25 euro headphone and i noticed it sounded better with my bass amp than from iphone. then i figured why cause it is 32 ohm headphone. bass is quite good. but only with bass amp. i keep bass off on amp, it sounds better with bass off. sadly when i connect cozoy aegis to it bass is just as weak as on iphone. and i considered my smsl sap-5 amp quite not good. but apparently it is good for some higher impedance headphones that can benefit in bass. anyone heard that headphone? any oppinions on it.
i like beats pro for bass

Nov 20, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #5,275 of 12,993
i like beats pro for bass but 500 euro i dont know, price is ridiculous for a headphone.

Ridiculous?  Run from this hobby while you can!

And you have a HUGE variety of options below 500 EUR price point from many manufacturers who don't have multi-million eur advertising budgets that they need to offset in their pricing - I'll stop there before I get myself in trouble ...
rolleyes.gif

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #5,277 of 12,993
Emailed Mark Lawton from Lawton Audio about a tune-up, new pads, wood cups and recable for my TH600. The total cost would be about twice the cost of the headphones alone. I'm wondering if anyone else has done any mods and what their experience was?

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #5,278 of 12,993
Emailed Mark Lawton from Lawton Audio about a tune-up, new pads, wood cups and recable for my TH600. The total cost would be about twice the cost of the headphones alone. I'm wondering if anyone else has done any mods and what their experience was?

Rug pad in front of the driver to reduce the treble a bit:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006EK4I80

Contact @Lohb for gorgeous wood cups (I got deep teak cups and they added even more bass) for a much better price.

Maybe even damp the cups a bit to reduce treble further.

P.S. The Lawton tune-up is partly targeted at reducing the bass shake.

Nov 21, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #5,280 of 12,993
Ridiculous?  Run from this hobby while you can!

And you have a HUGE variety of options below 500 EUR price point from many manufacturers who don't have multi-million eur advertising budgets that they need to offset in their pricing - I'll stop there before I get myself in trouble ... :rolleyes:

true that, still i like beats pro. and i actually bought one on ebay for very cheap used before but the sound was off, may be earlier model or thats why it was cheap.
the best bass so far is on my 5 euro qkz x6 super bass earphones, likely a preference thing. mids and high are not so good. there are some sony headphones in hmv with extra bass, while bass is alot i dont like the bass on them. same thing with xb90, everyone like different sound, even different bass, kind of hard to talk about it to others. just need to listen to everyone cause everyone has opinion. :) :wink: headfi, audio life :) :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back