The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Nov 13, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #5,206 of 12,992
Can any headphone bass experts here suggest an amp / dac / headphone combo that will get me as close to replicating what GOOD speakers can do with explosions in PC games as possible? I don't expect the ground to shake obviously, but I've been chasing an eargasmic experience from a friends complete home theater setup while watching a battlefield 3 trailer for years. I know it's impossible, but I'm trying to figure out how close I can even get to that with my budget of 800. To explain the exact type of sound, it was a body / ear piercing tight bass impact from a bomb explosion. You could literally feel the shockwave. Dice did an incredible job with the sounds on this game, and being able to fully experience it as if it was almost real is a goal of mine. I currently live in a loft and won't be moving to an actual house where I can get the speaker set up for awhile. I've tried the AKG Q 71's, while the sound stage is great, clear high quality crisp audio, the bass when gaming is just not accurate or strong enough in the least. What would you guys suggest that could get close to what I'm talking about?

the amp dac that is recommended is the idsd micro. good dac part and a powerful amp that will drive any headphone except the most power hungry. a good option would be the beyerdynamc dt770 pro 80ohm. it won't rumble but it has good full body bass. I really would suggest the fostex th600 good slam and sq. it's on the top 5 hard hitting headphones on this thread. th600 and idsd micro would run you close to 1k. but you will have a awesome setup. rumble for games and heavy bass music and good sq for complicated music. just know that we heavily eq here, and the th600 takes it like a champ.

stick around and do some searches on the gear I mentioned.

Nov 14, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #5,208 of 12,992
The Sony XB1000 just hit exactly 10,000 views. I caught that milestone by chance. It's like the Godfather of Extreme bass  
**sheds a proud tear**

There obviously is a market for the XB1000 as demonstrated by the view count. I wonder why Sony discontinued the model?

The same with JVC. There are lot of fans of JVC here. Is it just that the marketing dept of JVC sucks and needs to hire HBB & DSnuts?

Nov 14, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #5,209 of 12,992
The Sony XB1000 just hit exactly 10,000 views. I caught that milestone by chance. It's like the Godfather of Extreme bass

**sheds a proud tear**

There obviously is a market for the XB1000 as demonstrated by the view count. I wonder why Sony discontinued the model?

The same with JVC. There are lot of fans of JVC here. Is it just that the marketing dept of JVC sucks and needs to hire HBB & DSnuts?

I don't think either are very well in tune with anything outside of Japan and certainly not our little niche market. Both are giant companies with more divisions than they know what to do with so headphones don't get much play when it comes down to it.

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #5,210 of 12,992
I don't think either are very well in tune with anything outside of Japan and certainly not our little niche market. Both are giant companies with more divisions than they know what to do with so headphones don't get much play when it comes down to it.

I think JVC dropped the ball on the sz. They could have had something really special, as it could have been the cannon that they are and have superior sq abilities.

Nov 15, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #5,211 of 12,992
I think JVC dropped the ball on the sz. They could have had something really special, as it could have been the cannon that they are and have superior sq abilities.

The choice of pads kind of shows that it was such a complicated project they gave up at some point and slapped the whatever pads on it.
They did miss a big chance

Nov 16, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #5,212 of 12,992

The choice of pads kind of shows that it was such a complicated project they gave up at some point and slapped the whatever pads on it.
They did miss a big chance

That's really too bad to be that close to doing something exceptionnal and not doing it............Isn't there a way to just replace the internal mid/high driver by another better one ? 

Nov 16, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #5,213 of 12,992
  That's really too bad to be that close to doing something exceptionnal and not doing it............Isn't there a way to just replace the internal mid/high driver by another better one ? 

I think the issue is the passive x-over of the 55mm. Those tubes are literally shooting bass straight in the ear. If they had an active x-over wired in the resonance of the filtered freq's wouldn't be bouncing around messing with the mids. i actually love the CNT driver it's the dual chamber filter that makes it great for bassheads when it coulda been epic. I guess is was a space consideration as that cup is packed with stuff as it is

Nov 16, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #5,214 of 12,992

I think the issue is the passive x-over of the 55mm. Those tubes are literally shooting bass straight in the ear. If they had an active x-over wired in the resonance of the filtered freq's wouldn't be bouncing around messing with the mids. i actually love the CNT driver it's the dual chamber filter that makes it great for bassheads when it coulda been epic. I guess is was a space consideration as that cup is packed with stuff as it is

This is a bit too technical for my english skills..... i didn't get it all.....don't you think the trouble of clarity is coming from a weak 30mm driver ?

Nov 16, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #5,215 of 12,992

This is a bit too technical for my english skills..... i didn't get it all.....don't you think the trouble of clarity is coming from a weak 30mm driver ?

No. They are not x-over the sub driver as they are using the kelton method of dual chamber filtering. The filtered freq's are not gone they are just not supposed to make it to your ear but they in fact do.

If they had used a x-over to play only signals at and below 125Hz (for example ) and had the 2nd driver pick up from there it would have made Eqing an option and not a necessity and it would slam even harder while having better mids becuse of the lined up x-over.

Nov 16, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #5,216 of 12,992

No. They are not x-over the sub driver as they are using the kelton method of dual chamber filtering. The filtered freq's are not gone they are just not supposed to make it to your ear but they in fact do.

If they had used a x-over to play only signals at and below 125Hz (for example ) and had the 2nd driver pick up from there it would have made Eqing an option and not a necessity and it would slam even harder while having better mids becuse of the lined up x-over.

I don't understand how the frequencies coming from the 55mm driver can give the lack of clarity. I mean even if as you say we can hear those, It shouldn't prevent the 30mm to give clarity 

Even if NOT ONLY bass range is extracted i don't understand why it would veil the sound of the 30mm driver except if the volume of the extracted mid/high frequencies is louder than the one coming out of 30mm

Nov 16, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #5,217 of 12,992
  I don't understand how the frequencies coming from the 55mm driver can give the lack of clarity. I mean even if as you say we can hear those, It shouldn't prevent the 30mm to give clarity 

Even if NOT ONLY bass range is extracted i don't understand why it would veil the sound of the 30mm driver except if the volume of the extracted mid/high frequencies is louder than the one coming out of 30mm

If a driver is playing a 350hz note and another played that same note but it was filtered by a plastic chamber and that note decayed the residue of that is in the cups and it is the living example of why active x-overs exist.

Showing pics from JVC...who ****ed this up is not proving a point aside from their claims being only partly true which goes for all companies.

That JVC freq graph and the one below are very different. The pic below is why the sub bass must be lifted a lot via amp gain and EQ. To get that slope going downhill from 20Hz takes more power than many amps can even handle and you gotta have sub bass freq's on the eq. I raise that bad boy waaaay up and cut at 125 and boost again at 2khz

I love the SZ....I gotta be the biggest fanboy ever for these but the issue as to why they never hit it big is in my opinion the passive x-over and **** pads.

Just my opinion.

Nov 16, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #5,218 of 12,992

If a driver is playing a 350hz note and another played that same note but it was filtered by a plastic chamber and that note decayed the residue of that is in the cups and it is the living example of why active x-overs exist.

Showing pics from JVC...who ****ed this up is not proving a point aside from their claims being only partly true which goes for all companies.

That JVC freq graph and the one below are very different. The pic below is why the sub bass must be lifted a lot via amp gain and EQ. To get that slope going downhill from 20Hz takes more power than many amps can even handle and you gotta have sub bass freq's on the eq. I raise that bad boy waaaay up and cut at 125 and boost again at 2khz

I love the SZ....I gotta be the biggest fanboy ever for these but the issue as to why they never hit it big is in my opinion the passive x-over and **** pads.

Just my opinion.

I understand the importance of active x-over but it still believe when the sound gets out of the 2 chambers, the mid/high have lost much volume that it makes it hard for those frequencies to sound more than those provided by the 30mm driver.mids and highs are easily blocked and alternated by a surface. It's a lot harder for the low frequencies. That's why for example even multiple steps upstairs or downstairs people can hear your subwoofer. That is also why lots of clubs that are close to houses lower the bass. So again it's hard for me to believe that the double chamber would do its job so bad making the mids/highs that are going out playing at a volume that would "disturb" the work of the 30mm driver. I still persist in thinking this 30mm driver is bad quality

Nov 16, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #5,219 of 12,992
   I still persist in thinking this 30mm driver is bad quality

I still think it's a passive x-over issue

We just disagree. That happens like 4 times a second on Head Fi
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back