The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jul 21, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #1,351 of 12,992
  I saw earlier in the thread that people said the HM5 pads work on the sz headphones, how do they compare to the XX pads?

The word is the Alpha pads are better than the HM5's. You can look for user intlsubband on the sz appreciation thread as he has tried many different pad configs. HM5 v.s. XX...I cannot say. Isolation on the XX is poor but bass transfer is superior. For overall sound the HM5 but apparently the Alpha pads are even better. Check the appreciation thread for more accurate and detailed observations.

Hi great thread, I just wanted to say that along with thanks for making and updating such an informative thread and I wish I wouldve seen this thread before I bought the ath-ws99
If I could make one suggestion
If you could add the price to your updated top 10 that would really make this thread that much more helpful
I understand prices fluctuate alot but if just at the time of update would be awesome

and while Ive got your attention I am thinking of upgrading these ath-ws99 for something with about the same or more punch with a bit more rumble
Im leaning toward the vmoda m100 ore the custom one pros
your opinion would be greatly appreciated 

Thanks!

Saw other threads try and die at keeping an accurate price list. It's a bit of work with no profit. Folks can open a new browser window and get a new deal or a hot sale that changes their whole buying scheme. A 1 time a week update would be tough and it still wouldn't be accurate.

Like mentioned by ati  go with the m100 out of your choices. I owned the C.O.P and would not rec them and they are not on the list. Even the secondary list. They go from good to bloat. Not from boom to BOOM.

IMO

Definitely going to give it some thought. I listen to a very broad range of music, I mainly pick a day devoted to what I'm wanting. When I do listen to bass heavy songs, which for me are more often than other genres, I crank it as high as I can handle. If I saved the $150 now it could go toward the new T-PEOS alton200 IEM's I've been eyeing..

As for pads, I couldn't seem to find any xx's on Ebay or Amazon. I was more looking at the incredibly meaty pads posted a few pages back. Those look incredibly comfortable and bass delivering. Any idea on what they're called?

Just found this just now 

Fearless owns these beauties. I believe they are alpha pads

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #1,352 of 12,992
Heya all,

This proves nothing, the HD650 is not even close to a bass-head can.

That being said, I responded to  a post about the HD650 being bass lite that the HD650 has good bass for an open headphone when amped properly, there was a bunch of crickets and a deleted comment after that post.

I had a mini meet with my friend the other day, got to hear the HE-6(very nice, I prefer the HD800, but we all hear different), and the Fostex TH900 (very nice, I prefer the D7k, but we all hear different), a couple of  cans I have yet to experience and we talked a bit about air movement from reference, open cans vs. closed bass head cans, fun night with an old friend who shares my hobby. I own a bit of both, with my preference being the mood/music. I appreciate variety.

Sorry to disrupt this thread with my boring tale, but this is a result of the HD 650 taken with my friends old IPhone 4 with horrendous video quality a sound. This does not compete with the crazy air movement from closed bass head cans  I own or that are demonstrated here on this thread, but this does show the HD650 has really decent bass with a synergetic amp.

Amp used- Dark Voice 337 SE

Source -Benchmark DAC2

Homemade  pure silver cable. (I'm learning, this came out really well)

Ugly HD650 that I use for experimental mods - this one has the HM5 pads that I also use on my better pair (this pair was given to me).

Carpet-Friend's Shag rug that I love to make fun of.

Just for Schiits and giggles, Enjoy this mess!
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #1,353 of 12,992
  Heya all,

This proves nothing, the HD650 is not even close to a bass-head can.

That being said, I responded to  a post about the HD650 being bass lite that the HD650 has good bass for an open headphone when amped properly, there was a bunch of crickets and a deleted comment after that post.

I had a mini meet with my friend the other day, got to hear the HE-6(very nice, I prefer the HD800, but we all hear different), and the Fostex TH900 (very nice, I prefer the D7k, but we all hear different), a couple of  cans I have yet to experience and we talked a bit about air movement from reference, open cans vs. closed bass head cans, fun night with an old friend who shares my hobby. I own a bit of both, with my preference being the mood/music. I appreciate variety.

Sorry to disrupt this thread with my boring tale, but this is a result of the HD 650 taken with my friends old IPhone 4 with horrendous video quality a sound. This does not compete with the crazy air movement from closed bass head cans  I own or that are demonstrated here on this thread, but this does show the HD650 has really decent bass with a synergetic amp.

Amp used- Dark Voice 337 SE

Source -Benchmark DAC2

Homemade  pure silver cable. (I'm learning, this came out really well)

Ugly HD650 that I use for experimental mods - this one has the HM5 pads that I also use on my better pair (this pair was given to me).

Carpet-Friend's Shag rug that I love to make fun of.

Just for Schiits and giggles, Enjoy this mess!
biggrin.gif

That is bass.
It does prove something....it does have a sub-bass freq response
That's nothing above 120Hz moving the paper
and you have a cool shag rug nailed to the wall since it's on the left of the frame
tongue.gif

Thanks bro
beerchug.gif

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #1,354 of 12,992

That is bass.
It does prove something....it does have a sub-bass freq response
That's nothing above 120Hz moving the paper
and you have a cool shag rug nailed to the wall since it's on the left of the frame
tongue.gif

Thanks bro
beerchug.gif

Just for fun, but they have a unique bass response (especially with tubes). Sennheisers have a strange synergy with amps, the HD 800 for example is known as bass lite as well, pair them with a proper amp and they have mad punch(similar to a sealed sub). The SZ2000 is  ported 4cubes tuned @32hz
wink.gif

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #1,355 of 12,992

Just for fun, but they have a unique bass response (especially with tubes). Sennheisers have a strange synergy with amps, the HD 800 for example is known as bass lite as well, pair them with a proper amp and they have mad punch(similar to a sealed sub). The SZ2000 is  ported 4cubes tuned @32hz
wink.gif

Even the cycles/Hz can be reflected in the paper. It's ghetto but it's bass. Not mids or highs. How much is the driver diaphragm and how much is the surrounding housing transferring that signal?
Who cares. You will feel what you see. 

Thanks for the vid and thanks for the hardware info.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #1,356 of 12,992

The word is the Alpha pads are better than the HM5's. You can look for user intlsubband on the sz appreciation thread as he has tried many different pad configs. HM5 v.s. XX...I cannot say. Isolation on the XX is poor but bass transfer is superior. For overall sound the HM5 but apparently the Alpha pads are even better. Check the appreciation thread for more accurate and detailed observations.

Thanks!

Saw other threads try and die at keeping an accurate price list. It's a bit of work with no profit. Folks can open a new browser window and get a new deal or a hot sale that changes their whole buying scheme. A 1 time a week update would be tough and it still wouldn't be accurate.

Like mentioned by ati  go with the m100 out of your choices. I owned the C.O.P and would not rec them and they are not on the list. Even the secondary list. They go from good to bloat. Not from boom to BOOM.

IMO

Just found this just now 

Fearless owns these beauties. I believe they are alpha pads

oh I see your point on the price thing, 
thanks for the advice
one more thing I see the ath-pro700mk2 are on the list and are placed over both the m-100 and the ws99
would you recommend them over the 2

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #1,358 of 12,992
  oh I see your point on the price thing, 
thanks for the advice
one more thing I see the ath-pro700mk2 are on the list and are placed over both the m-100 and the ws99
would you recommend them over the 2

The list is for relative bass impact on a particular song for "A" "B" ing.

I think the mk2 hit better than the m100 and ws99 but the ws is a 53mm driver via the same manufacturer. The m100 is better build and overall out of the box friendliness. 
The ws99 did not jump out at me but cb and ati both mentioned them as top 10 so they go on the list. The build quality of the ws99 is not on par with the m100 or mk2 IMO.
Bass hit...I think it hits better than the ws99 and m100

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #1,359 of 12,992
  The list is for relative bass impact on a particular song for "A" "B" ing.

I think the mk2 hit better than the m100 and ws99 but the ws is a 53mm driver via the same manufacturer. The m100 is better build and overall out of the box friendliness. 
The ws99 did not jump out at me but cb and ati both mentioned them as top 10 so they go on the list. The build quality of the ws99 is not on par with the m100 or mk2 IMO.
Bass hit...I think it hits better than the ws99 and m100

thank you 
Ima end up getting a pair of the pro700mk2s
believe it or not I won a pair of used ones on ebay a week or so ago for 85 usd and ended not buying them

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #1,360 of 12,992
  thank you 
Ima end up getting a pair of the pro700mk2s
believe it or not I won a pair of used ones on ebay a week or so ago for 85 usd and ended not buying them

This thread is just a gathering of bass.

If at all possible, listen and compare.
When in doubt.....doubt
wink.gif

The vids are supposed to take the human and the wildly over stated claims of fanboys out of the mix. (I'm a known JVC fanboy).
For what i listen to the mk2 are harder hitting than the m100 and ws99. I would think the ws99 would be most reasonably priced. For 85 bucks I'd buy some 700mk2 myself though
biggrin.gif

All vids, all statements are given with the assumption that the user has or will buy an amp and eq's the low end. Nobody should be in this thread if they wanna drive stuff just from a DAP or with no eq.

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #1,361 of 12,992
  This thread is just a gathering of bass.

If at all possible, listen and compare.
When in doubt.....doubt
wink.gif

The vids are supposed to take the human and the wildly over stated claims of fanboys out of the mix. (I'm a known JVC fanboy).
For what i listen to the mk2 are harder hitting than the m100 and ws99. I would think the ws99 would be most reasonably priced. For 85 bucks I'd buy some 700mk2 myself though
biggrin.gif

All vids, all statements are given with the assumption that the user has or will buy an amp and eq's the low end. Nobody should be in this thread if they wanna drive stuff just from a DAP or with no eq.

all I have is a fiio e17, I pretty much use the software eq and that to push the headphones and It seams like its doing an OK job
maybe I should start looking into a better amp and what not
I'm still relatively new to all this and I'm no audiophile and I'm not sure if I'm a bass head
all I know is I want something to listen to rap that sounds as close to the twelves in my car or at least give me that sensation ya feel me
I got 2 alpine 12s and 4 fosgate 6 by 9s and I know it ain't competition but it ain't junk either
I know its impossible to get that sound in headphones but I just want something close to it
but het I started off with a pair of skull candy hesh so... ya know... baby steps

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #1,363 of 12,992
all I have is a fiio e17, I pretty much use the software eq and that to push the headphones and It seams like its doing an OK job

I'm still relatively new to all this and I'm no audiophile and I'm not sure if I'm a bass head

all I know is I want something to listen to rap that sounds as close to the twelves in my car or at least give me that sensation ya feel me

I got 2 alpine 12s and 4 fosgate 6 by 9s and I know it ain't competition but it ain't junk either

I know its impossible to get that sound in headphones but I just want something close to it

but het I started off with a pair of skull candy hesh so... ya know... baby steps

I know exactly what you mean. I've been searching for something that matches the 12"s in my truck. I use the Fiio E17 and have The SZ1000'S. It's not perfect, but it's the closest I've ever come to it.

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #1,364 of 12,992

Now......NOW

I know what your talking about
biggrin.gif

2 15" JL15W3's (Hawaii)

2 15" Digital Design  (Japan)

Cheap version  $90

Car audio track 150 bucks (sz1000) 300 (sz2000)

If car audio head slam is a goal...like the physical sensation off bass hitting you. I rec these.

.​

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #1,365 of 12,992
Hawaiibadboy dude... Are those your subs? Look nice as hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back