The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jul 8, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #1,081 of 12,992
Hercules HDP DJ-Pro M1001
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/vy_1oZBN-sw[/VIDEO]

Cut in half sheet of fresh out the pack A4 printer paper used

No tape used - paper placed over left earcup with right ear cup holding/sealing

Test Conditions

Source:Cowon DAP ,Flat eq, BBE+8 MACH3BASS +9 playing YouTube Wiz Khalifa's "On My Level" track

Amp: FiioE12 with bass boost switch on
Recommend:
Play video on full screen to check paper vibrations with fullest detail​

Notes: DJ headphones with 50mm drivers / red chord used to keep top earcup in place

Jul 8, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #1,082 of 12,992
VEP-020- NPNG (Ultra cheap 50mm can)
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/dKbHqThiFdo[/VIDEO]

Cut in half sheet of fresh out the pack A4 printer paper used

No tape used - paper placed over left earcup with right ear cup holding/sealing

Test Conditions

Source:Cowon DAP ,Flat eq, BBE+8 MACH3BASS +9 playing YouTube Wiz Khalifa's "On My Level" track

Amp: FiioE12 with bass boost switch on
Recommend:
Play video on full screen to check paper vibrations with fullest detail​

Notes: VERY cheap 50mm cans - found here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/VEP-020-NPNG-adjustable-stereo-headphones-tangle-Black/dp/B00FXK8GJE

These play reasonably at normal listening level, but struggle at higher volume - guess thats to be expected for such a cheap and cheerful can - thought I'd put it through the test out of interest to see how it's 50mm drivers would fare :)

Jul 8, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #1,084 of 12,992
I don't have them anymore,but yes I did try EQing them.

The SZ2000 amped with something like the Fiio E17 with bass setting at maximum level 10 is pretty intense - just check the bass/paper test videos for a visual of the bass vibrating paper over earcup.

SZ1000 doesn't quite have the same bass response when EQ'd but it's not far short and retails quite a bit cheaper than the SZ2000 - think HBB paid something like $130 for the SZ1000 and the SZ2000 may be just short of double the price of the SZ1000.

Jul 8, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #1,085 of 12,992
First of all, thank you guys for this awesome thread, it is based on measurements and facts, not someone's "this are bass monsters, blah-blah, I can't hear you". I was lurking the thread for a month, finally ordered sz-2k, waiting for the tenso's shipment for now. I use Sony NWZ-e474 as DAP (me thinks Clear Bass will come in handy with sz-2k) and Fiio E07k as amp (it is a bit weaker than E17 in amp section), how do you think, is this enough for sz-2k to produce hard hit or I'll definitely need Fiio E17\E12\better amp? Saving for 77x right now, it's kinda hard for a student in my country to afford all this cans at once  (*crybaby mode on). I can record bass paper test with my NWZ\E07k when sz2k will arrive (if anyone needs this).

Jul 8, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #1,086 of 12,992
  First of all, thank you guys for this awesome thread, it is based on measurements and facts, not someone's "this are bass monsters, blah-blah, I can't hear you". I was lurking the thread for a month, finally ordered sz-2k, waiting for the tenso's shipment for now. I use Sony NWZ-e474 as DAP (me thinks Clear Bass will come in handy with sz-2k) and Fiio E07k as amp (it is a bit weaker than E17 in amp section), how do you think, is this enough for sz-2k to produce hard hit or I'll definitely need Fiio E17\E12\better amp? Saving for 77x right now, it's kinda hard for a student in my country to afford all this cans at once  (*crybaby mode on). I can record bass paper test with my NWZ\E07k when sz2k will arrive (if anyone needs this).

Ya know what..
I come from a world a bit different from most of you. I'm pretty sure. 
Stories that would not be believed and would be no good to tell. In THAT world respect is the first and only option. You give it.
You expect it in return.
Failure to deliver the return is at least unwise and usually unhealthy.

It's a world of rules more strictly enforced than the one "regular" people exist in where respect is often a thing waited on or not even considered. Your rank is not important. disrespect is reflected on yourself and those above and below you. It's a sign of weakness. Of issues that can be red flags of fatal to the group type. It can't be allowed. I watch things in utter amazement sometimes.

Your opening sentence should be the default to cb.
The time he has spent to try and show something is not a little. First thing outta folks mouths should be thanks. End of story.
It doesn't happen often considering the amount of views.

You get the pass Zaknin. You are welcome here. Not because you agree but because the first thing you do is give thanks. It's basic respect. It'n not conditional on your happiness with _______. Effort was given. You acted like an adult.

To another user likening the paper test to a "cult"

Let me educate you young brother.

Jim Jones. David Koresh, Marshall Applewhite

They led cults. They took advantage of "Faith" and used it as leverage to cause folks to do things without question despite it being ridiculous which is blind faith.

You cannot ask questions in a cult.
Irony is it applies better elsewhere to folks who are parroting things and measurements done by others who'm they have little or no interaction with.

That's kinda scary.
The perpetuation of myths or half truths repeated because the source is trusted because...they seem ...trusted?

If I owned a can that shined in the upper bass region and not the sub-bass I would note the track and settings and:

"Hey,
Thanks for the effort. Really appreciate it. However these cans shine in a way you are not highlighting. Could you try (insert track) at these (insert settings) and me and my fellow owners would feel a bit better knowing they were being shown in a light more appropriate for their use. Thank again."

I'd do that immediately.

I know bass and the energy is generates and how it effects surrounding materials. I know a bigger driver better delivers sub-bass. I know a firmer pad will better transfer that energy to my head. I know amping and eq'ing is necessary for hi impact. I knew all those things before the paper test. There was just nobody doing anything but talking.

This is Physics.
C'mon folks. I expected people to see it for what it is (more than what was being done before) and not what it isn't (the end all bass test).

I take solace in knowing some folks who run this site know we are doing what we do and being specific so it can be replicated. It's fun and interactive and anybody can do it. We are not lowering anything we are raising them up.
Raise yourself up.
Show some respect and appreciation to folks putting in time with nothing in the agenda but bass.

@Zaknin
The e17 and e12 seem to go well. You must be able to eq the sub-bass region so ask @PocketSmiley
He is the eq guru for extreme bass thread. If A sony Dap and clear bass can work with the SZ he'll know. You'll need to change the pads if head slamming is what you are looking for.
Lotta cans need a tweak here and there. Denon, M-Audio, Grado....and on and on.
Consider the pad change of the sz to be a must.

Boo!

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #1,087 of 12,992
I know my dap works fantastic for sub-bass. Anyone looking for a cheap dap should look at a Nokia Lumia 520. 12db up and down. Boost at 50hz, and it'll boost the entire sub bass region and midbass. So... +24db@50hz and it still sounds great. Another dap option for bassheads. :) its what I use, and the eq is more powerful than my stereo systems eq. Slap on another +10db with an E17/E7 or E12, and it'll thump. I can't exactly show you guys how powerful it is from here, so if anybody else has a Lumia (they all have the ridiculous Eq, not to mention decent sound quality.) maybe you could confirm so we have a few guys instead of just me. Physical evidence may be the best, but I can't show the physical evidence. I use my phone to shoot videos, and I can't play music while shooting videos.

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #1,088 of 12,992
So my new headphones came today and all I can say is WOW the pro500's are truly cannons and should remain on the wiki as such Hawaii Im not sure what you mean that they are tuned to their limits as I dual amped these with a fiio e9 and fiio e12 both at high gain with the fiio e12 bass boost and eq'd the bass up and these took them about half way on each of the volume knob on the e12 and e9 anymore than that was to much and I could hear the drivers start to distort but that was enough for them to be cannons. 

The HD8 DJ is a good basshead headphones it is no cannon however if you want it to it delivers the bass very good but honestly the headphones sound amazing can't believe how good the sound is and then the bass comes is and it is a very satisfying experience. next up for me is the philips a5 pro.

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #1,089 of 12,992
So my new headphones came today and all I can say is WOW the pro500's are truly cannons and should remain on the wiki as such Hawaii Im not sure what you mean that they are tuned to their limits as I dual amped these with a fiio e9 and fiio e12 both at high gain with the fiio e12 bass boost and eq'd the bass up and these took them about half way on each of the volume knob on the e12 and e9 anymore than that was to much and I could hear the drivers start to distort but that was enough for them to be cannons. 

The HD8 DJ is a good basshead headphones it is no cannon however if you want it to it delivers the bass very good but honestly the headphones sound amazing can't believe how good the sound is and then the bass comes is and it is a very satisfying experience. next up for me is the philips a5 pro.

what was your eq settings?... Btw, nice pics! Those pro 500's are sexy!

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #1,090 of 12,992
I tested everything at 31 khz at 16db and 62 khz at 8 db the volume maxed out and the source which for me is my laptop and the pro500's go hard and yes they are really nice cans to look at. 

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #1,091 of 12,992
I have quite a few headphones mostly all bass orientated Iv uploaded some pics of my cans 

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #1,092 of 12,992

Beautiful!!

Using the Cowon and the e12 with the BBE +8 M3B +9 and cowon at 34 volume the cans began losing their stuff on the Rah track

If you can try a paper test just for video catalogue that would be AWESOME.  I asked in that thread but got no takers.

Show....me....the bass!!

Get in on this bro. You got cans!! 

1/2 A4

Wiz Track

Max settings you feel comfortable with and post those exact settings. I can PM you the password to our group youtube account

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #1,093 of 12,992
ati832dude... Put those cans in your sig. That way everyone will know exactly what you've got.

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #1,094 of 12,992
  I have quite a few headphones mostly all bass orientated Iv uploaded some pics of my cans 

That's quite an arsenal of bass power you got there - good to find a fellow headphone whore here on head-fi - try saying that fast 
smily_headphones1.gif

kayandjohn have the very same colour Yamaha cans - kingfisher blue? They look pretty cool and certainly look like canons in their design.

So - looking forward to your bass/paper test video - your Yamaha's will be the first of its brand to do the test - show us what those bad boys can do 
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #1,095 of 12,992

Users who are viewing this thread

Back