The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jul 2, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #916 of 12,975
JVC SZ2000 with MR77X Pads Test 2
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/DIXdwrEIYBw[/VIDEO]

Cut in half sheet of fresh out the pack A4 printer paper used

No tape used - paper placed over left earcup with right ear cup holding/sealing

Test Conditions

Source:Cowon DAP ,Flat eq, BBE+8 MACH3BASS +9 playing YouTube Wiz Khalifa's "On My Level" track

Amp: FiioE12 with bass boost switch on
Recommend:
Play video on full screen to check paper vibrations with fullest detail​

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #917 of 12,975
just wondering when the top 10 list goes on for july's basshead cans and also I see the npulse's are on the basshead certified list I had them in the past and to me they lacked the impact significantly to be a basshead can but they are good bass headphones. also if anyone is interested they should try out the house of marley rise up headphones they are cannons not on a sz level but they are cannons and also if anyone could tell me before I buy the yamaha pro500 are they truly cannons or not mixed reviews of them as I read gelocks review and he compares them to the denon d600 and the v moda m100 and those 2 are very different cans the m100 is a basshead can by fay and the denon d600 does not have that good of an impact so a little confused if they are more to the m100's then they are a must buy for me. thanks

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #918 of 12,975
  just wondering when the top 10 list goes on for july's basshead cans and also I see the npulse's are on the basshead certified list I had them in the past and to me they lacked the impact significantly to be a basshead can but they are good bass headphones. also if anyone is interested they should try out the house of marley rise up headphones they are cannons not on a sz level but they are cannons and also if anyone could tell me before I buy the yamaha pro500 are they truly cannons or not mixed reviews of them as I read gelocks review and he compares them to the denon d600 and the v moda m100 and those 2 are very different cans the m100 is a basshead can by fay and the denon d600 does not have that good of an impact so a little confused if they are more to the m100's then they are a must buy for me. thanks

Awesome questions.

cb is going to put together July's best bass can list. It will be a bit..... but his view will put another set of ears onto the list so it's better for everyone.

The Npulse are 40mm and like I mentioned before their days are about over. That means the Beats Pro need to fight for their life too
biggrin.gif

50mm + just ....well...it's acoustic science.....or so it seems when the delivery of lower frequency signals is the topic in question.

The Yamaha have a note on my list that mentions a lack of headroom for amping.(pre-tuned driver)  This is critical as i would not rec' them as the option where amping the bass signal is a main goal. They are musical in a M100 way but hit harder. They are limited though.

Why are they on the list? Because under my extreme bass slopes there is a gaping bass hole....a void...a big lack of cans that can actually handle the delivery of the tunes I use without distorting. I can only list cans I have "A" "B"' tested so it's limited to those.  I have the Marley's on the Wiki but since I could not jack into and test them I cannot say how hard they hit. They do hit hard ...i just wasn't able to check how hard.

Believe me when I say many folks have tried the 1/2 A4 sub bass test using the Wiz track on their cans and it wasn't what they had hoped or we would know about it. That lack of video submissions isn't for a lack of trying it's for a lack of results.

In a perfect world folks would upload the vid regardless to keep as visual inventory for the basshead community but we all got pride...weird pride. Cans bass output are not related to their owners manhood level but some folks....maybe....they think...
wink.gif

So if you use an amp the Yammy would be a no. The list will be coming along after cb is done partying with Dr Dre at an all night rave in Scotland
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #919 of 12,975
Awesome questions.

cb is going to put together July's best bass can list. It will be a bit..... but his view will put another set of ears onto the list so it's better for everyone.

The Npulse are 40mm and like I mentioned before their days are about over. That means the Beats Pro need to fight for their life too:D

50mm + just ....well...it's acoustic science.....or so it seems when the delivery of lower frequency signals is the topic in question.

The Yamaha have a note on my list that mentions a lack of headroom for amping.(pre-tuned driver)  This is critical as i would not rec' them as the option where amping the bass signal is a main goal. They are musical in a M100 way but hit harder. They are limited though.

Why are they on the list? Because under my extreme bass slopes there is a gaping bass hole....a void...a big lack of cans that can actually handle the delivery of the tunes I use without distorting. I can only list cans I have "A" "B"' tested so it's limited to those.  I have the Marley's on the Wiki but since I could not jack into and test them I cannot say how hard they hit. They do hit hard ...i just wasn't able to check how hard.

Believe me when I say many folks have tried the 1/2 A4 sub bass test using the Wiz track on their cans and it wasn't what they had hoped or we would know about it. That lack of video submissions isn't for a lack of trying it's for a lack of results.

In a perfect world folks would upload the vid regardless to keep as visual inventory for the basshead community but we all got pride...weird pride. Cans bass output are not related to their owners manhood level but some folks....maybe....they think...:wink:

So if you use an amp the Yammy would be a no. The list will be coming along after cb is done partying with Dr Dre at an all night rave in Scotland:D
lol. CB's at a rave? I know a guy who is gonna get a DJ in a popular Florida nightclub to spin my **** if I can get him two rave songs by next month... Anywho, I even posted my akg k240's with a tape mod. I felt no shame. If I can do that and get a tiny paper jiggle, you guys can post your cans... Do we have an m100 or LP2/LP? Would be nice to have those in the archive for reference to anybody looking for bass cans and wanting to know how their cans compare.

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #921 of 12,975
  never seen so dedicated people like hbb and cb. You guys do a great job and keep answering everyones question and comment on everything. keep up the good work :wink:

Thank you bro!

Remember. We are bassheads. We might listen to different genre' at different boosting levels but we are united by bass.

Not long ago there was no place on Head-Fi for us. Beats, JVC, SMS, XB's and the lot were looked at with a wink and a nod. Folks would quickly "advise" owners of those cans to "get real cans" because they didn't see bassheads as being on their own perceived level.

How many Grado threads were born and thrive?
How many Beats threads lived and then died?

That this thread is thriving is a wonderful wonderful thing. for us and for Head-fi. We spend money too
biggrin.gif

We police our own thread. Ovoid conflict and off topic stuff and as unique as the paper bass test is...it is showing low frequency transfer from the headphone pads to the area that would be touching your head so it is not perfect but it is pretty damn good and we can record and share it. 

cb is a ******* animal. The guy is a treasure to Head-fi. No kidding. He owns  a buncha stuff and he gets down in the trenches and takes vids of the cans and posts the vid regardless of the result. He gets it. The headphones are not a reflection of him. They are an item he owns. Nothing more. 

If anyone finds a bigger beast than the sz2000 cb and I will surely be on the net ordering the damn things within minutes. Folks confuse me and the sz being one. No...they just facinate the **** outta me when i consider how much win JVC put into a lose...mind blowing win for bassheads.

Pocketsmiley is a a ******* wunderkid. The dude is a scientist of audio and what he doesn't know he'll go learn and get back to you.

I started the thread because I was banned from another. It turned out to be an epic piece of awesome. 

Remember when we disagree it's just that. Not long ago folks would shout down the basshead and "lol" him or her till they gave up and walked away or bent to their collective will and bought whatever the **** the self proclaimed know it alls rec'd.....without an ounce of proof beyond a ******* graph.

These are good times for bassheads.
Good times indeed!!

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #922 of 12,975
Do you guys want me to do another video of my Krakens, with the new cord. The preform a lot better on the paper test. Just haven't recorded it.
Edit_ just switched out cords and the old ones preform a lot better. New cord didn't hit as hard. Going back to the store to exchange it

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #925 of 12,975
Jul 2, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #927 of 12,975
anyone tried the hd8 by sennheiser yet any impressions of them being basshead worthy and to hummel the treble is normally the last 3 bars 

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #928 of 12,975
well bit the bullet and brought 3 new headphones the akg k181 dj, yamaha pro500, sennheiser hd8 dj I have high hopes for all of them especially the senn's, will keep you guys posted.

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #929 of 12,975
Hello, all. It's been a while since I've been on Head-Fi, I've been messing around with car audio since I've been gone (seems like no matter where I go, I end up taking audio with me). Anyway, after reading through here a couple of pages deep, I thought I'd post my big bad bass build.

It all started over a year ago with some fake Beats Studios that I purchased for $25. They were more of a social experiment type deal than they were actual "listening" headphones. After about 2 months, I got bored and set off to build the most bass heavy headphones I could. Enter a pair of "broken" XB500's. I already owned a pair that worked, so I definitely knew what I was about to get into.

The main issue with XB500's is the size of their chamber, which is relatively tiny. The fake beats have a chamber near double the size and are sealed off more than the XB500's are. With that, and the fact that the pads on the Beats place your ear about 1/2 an inch closer to the drivers themselves makes for a powerful punch. I'm not much for doing hours worth of figures and numbers when it comes to this stuff, so don't expect much technical jargon from me, apologies in advance. :) I managed to perform side by side comparisons of the XB500's and the "Franken-Beats" and found out quite a bit between the two.

First off, the difference in the pure quantity of bass is outstanding and very obvious. The Franken-Beats are much more in your face than the XB500's, and this is amplified, no pun intended, when hooked up to a FiiO E11, as well as equalized for bass. That being said, the XB500's retained much more overall clarity amongst the treble than the Beats, and by a hefty amount as well. The bass inside of the Beats is simply too powerful for the rest of the frequencies to rise. However, it's not like you buy an XB500 for its tonal clarity anyway, so apples to apples here, the Franken-Beats definitely win the Bass Race.

All things considered, I don't own a single pair of headphones that can do what the Franken-Beats do in the bass department, but you can pick any random $10 pair of headphones from your local electronics store that will outshine them when it comes to overall clarity. Again, not the point. The point is, if you're looking for a fun driver swap, I definitely recommend the XB500 driver swap. A must build for bassheads, in my opinion.

Let me add one thing, yes, that is carbon fiber vinyl, and, yes, that is sharpie in the shape of the Beats logo, just to clarify. :)

Happy Bass-ing. -BiggBenn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back