The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Aug 30, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #12,091 of 12,993
Well, yeah, the XB1000 is the best, but you're gonna pay for it. What the 1000 gets you that the 700 doesn't isn't really bass-related. The quality of the bass is more refined, but the quantity is about the same between the two. It's improvements in the rest of the spectrum that you get with the 1000. Highs are cleaner and smoother on the 1000, mids have a lot more presence, sound stage is surprisingly wide.

But if you just want quantity of bass and don't care about the rest, you can save the dosh and just get the 700. I started with the 700 and had absurd amounts of fun with it. If you're patient, you can find a good example for under $100. And don't get me wrong, I love the XB1000, but for at least three times the cost of the 700, you're not getting 3x more headphone.

The XB300 is actually a surprisingly fun little on-ear, too. I found mine for $25 and just got it to complete the collection, not expecting to actually like it. But it turns out it's pretty fun! If I want a quick bass person I can slap on my head and blast from my cell phone without worrying about amps or EQ, it does the trick.

I also only got the XB500 just to complete the set, not expecting to like it. I paid $50. Knowing how much better the 700 is for still under $100 if you're patient, I can't recommend the 500. I only recommend the 500 if your budget absolutely can't stretch to the 700.

Aug 30, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #12,092 of 12,993
Well, yeah, the XB1000 is the best, but you're gonna pay for it. What the 1000 gets you that the 700 doesn't isn't really bass-related. The quality of the bass is more refined, but the quantity is about the same between the two. It's improvements in the rest of the spectrum that you get with the 1000. Highs are cleaner and smoother on the 1000, mids have a lot more presence, sound stage is surprisingly wide.

But if you just want quantity of bass and don't care about the rest, you can save the dosh and just get the 700. I started with the 700 and had absurd amounts of fun with it. If you're patient, you can find a good example for under $100. And don't get me wrong, I love the XB1000, but for at least three times the cost of the 700, you're not getting 3x more headphone.

The XB300 is actually a surprisingly fun little on-ear, too. I found mine for $25 and just got it to complete the collection, not expecting to actually like it. But it turns out it's pretty fun! If I want a quick bass person I can slap on my head and blast from my cell phone without worrying about amps or EQ, it does the trick.

I also only got the XB500 just to complete the set, not expecting to like it. I paid $50. Knowing how much better the 700 is for still under $100 if you're patient, I can't recommend the 500. I only recommend the 500 if your budget absolutely can't stretch to the 700.
Thanks. I actually had a beat up XB500 that I got locally for $20. Don’t recall much about it other than it was bassy and comfortable. Wish now that I hadn’t have gotten rid of it.

Aug 30, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #12,093 of 12,993
Thanks. I actually had a beat up XB500 that I got locally for $20. Don’t recall much about it other than it was bassy and comfortable. Wish now that I hadn’t have gotten rid of it.
Comfort is actually my main issue with the XB500. The earpads are big and squishy like the whole XB line, but the 500's pads in particular are just a little too small for my ears. The XB500 is more of an on-ear-over-ear hybrid on my head, whereas the 700 and 1000 fit my head properly. But hey, that's me.

Sep 7, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #12,094 of 12,993
I highly recommend the Floyd Rose FR-52. I just saw them on sale from $18.99 - $150 on eBay. The $18.99 is a little suspect. They were normally around $300 at launch. They are dual driver headphones. They are almost on ears (if you have bigger ears) but are fairly comfortable. They are very bassy almost on the same level as the Campfire Cascades which are about $800.The mid bass hits hard on these. They are definitely worth $150 for a bass head headphone.
Do you continue to feel the same way about these? Read that you sold off your Cascades because you didn't need two HP's with the same sound signature. Twas a bargain at $38 delivered, curiosity regarding the dual drivers got the best of me. Putting them thru their paces today.

Sep 8, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #12,095 of 12,993
Do you continue to feel the same way about these? Read that you sold off your Cascades because you didn't need two HP's with the same sound signature. Twas a bargain at $38 delivered, curiosity regarding the dual drivers got the best of me. Putting them thru their paces today.

I just pray you don't go all Hulk Smash on them cans if you dont like them 🤣 Could you imagine if Hulk was Santa Clause? Sorry about your chimney, it suddenly got remodeled, as in, it's a pile of rubble. Good news is, I have quite the selection of audiophile gear for you folks. A week later a check comes in the mail from the Avengers, payment for a new chimney. 🤣

Sep 10, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #12,096 of 12,993
So from skimming the past 50 pages and other resources, here seemed to the most common headphones I've seen listed that interested me

Dynamics
  • JVC SZ2000
  • Sony XB1000
  • Campfire Audio Cascade with XL pads
  • Fostex TH-900 (maybe with pad swap)
  • Fostex TH-610
  • Drop TH-X00 (Purplehearts)
  • ZMF Eikon
  • Emu Teak
  • Meze 99

Planars (requires EQ)
  • Monoprice 1060C heavily modded
  • Monoprice 1570
  • Audeze LCD2C/X

I've currently got TH-X00's, so looks like my next purchase are the Cascades or Eikons from reading around

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #12,097 of 12,993
So from skimming the past 50 pages and other resources, here seemed to the most common headphones I've seen listed that interested me

Dynamics
  • JVC SZ2000
  • Sony XB1000
  • Fostex TH-610
  • ZMF Eikon
  • Emu Teak
  • Meze 99

Planars (requires EQ)
  • Monoprice 1570
  • Audeze LCD2C/X

I've currently got TH-X00's, so looks like my next purchase are the Cascades or Eikons from reading around
I've got Teaks arriving tomorrow:L3000:

Sep 10, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #12,099 of 12,993
Where did you get them from? Noticed on Drop that they aren't available and can't find anywhere in Australia that sells them. But that sounds like a me problem.
I got them off ebay used but in good condition. Mine will have both ebony and teak ear cups. I like the looks of the ebony.

Sep 10, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #12,100 of 12,993
Man, the XB1000 is such a weird headphone. No other headphone has me drawing an EQ curve like this:

1631329465466.png

Sep 11, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #12,101 of 12,993
I just pray you don't go all Hulk Smash on them cans if you dont like them 🤣 Could you imagine if Hulk was Santa Clause? Sorry about your chimney, it suddenly got remodeled, as in, it's a pile of rubble. Good news is, I have quite the selection of audiophile gear for you folks. A week later a check comes in the mail from the Avengers, payment for a new chimney. 🤣
Haven't smashed them :smile:. Yet to form a final opinion, need more head time. They are bass elevated, in a good way, mids a bit recessed. Don't have a bass heavy can to compare to.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #12,103 of 12,993
lol If I ever do sell them, it'd probably be to a fellow enthusiast interested in buying the whole quartet.

I'm in the middle of a lot of projects at the moment, but this winter when things die down for me, I really do want to sit down and try to design some earpad adapters for the OG XB line. I feel like there's a ton of fun we're missing out on by not being able to pad roll these, considering how extremely transformative pad rolling the SZ2000 is. So if I ever do sell these headphones, it won't be until at least after that project has concluded, either positively or negatively.

Sep 12, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #12,104 of 12,993

Dynamics
  • JVC SZ2000
  • Sony XB1000
  • Fostex TH-610
  • ZMF Eikon
  • Emu Teak
  • Meze 99

Planars (requires EQ)
  • Monoprice 1570
  • Audeze LCD2C/X

Curious to what pads everyone is using for the TH-900’s? I’m trying to find Hugh end bass heavy headphone (when EQ’d) but great overall sound when not EQ’d. Maybe the Z1R or the TH-900MK2 with a pad swap is my best bet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back