The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jul 3, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #11,296 of 12,993
My sz1k's hinge also bit the dust, so I'm back in this thread. While I fully intend to salvage the sz, I'm looking for a pair of backup cans as my backups also died a little while ago lol. What are the takes on the AT WS1100iS?
It's been some time since I've auditioned the WS1000iS. However, from memory, the lows on the Audio-Technica are punchy and tight, with decent impact; however, the boost is not excessive. This is what I've come to understand from the 'Solid Bass' series of headphones - they are not bass monsters, just bass done right.

Jul 3, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #11,298 of 12,993
It's been some time since I've auditioned the WS1000iS. However, from memory, the lows on the Audio-Technica are punchy and tight, with decent impact; however, the boost is not excessive. This is what I've come to understand from the 'Solid Bass' series of headphones - they are not bass monsters, just bass done right.

@Malevolent that sounds promising, thanks. Do they take amping and EQing well? Also, would a pad swap help them?
I'm open to suggestions on other cans too, but I don't want to cross the price range of the W1100iS.

I've not heard the W1100iS, but I did own it's little brother the WS770iS. And while it's not on SZ levels, it can take a good bit of EQ and move some air for sure. Below is a video I made like 3 years ago of the WS770iS doing the paper test and you can see they are able to shake. Very fun low cost cans, I imagine the WS1100iS would be the same.

Jul 3, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #11,299 of 12,993
@Malevolent that sounds promising, thanks. Do they take amping and EQing well? Also, would a pad swap help them?
I'm open to suggestions on other cans too, but I don't want to cross the price range of the W1100iS.
As my audition was rather brief (under 30 minutes), I didn't use a software equalizer with the WS1100iS. However, @OldDude04's post (above) confirms that the headphone responds well to EQ.

During the test, I cannot remember if an amplifier was used; I always bring one along with me every time I test IEMs and/or headphones at my local stores, though.

In any case, if you are looking for a strong bass response, and you don't mind a heavily-colored sound, you can try the V-MODA Crossfade M-100.

Jul 3, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #11,300 of 12,993
Yeah. The D7000 is the fleeting unicorn of my collection. I want one so badly, but it's almost impossible to locate a unit in the wild. Occasionally, I'll come across used D7000s in poor condition. I'm a stickler for (great) form and condition, though, so I'm holding out for a brand-new unit, or at least one that's near mint.

I've seen a few of those used D7000s in bad shape. If I had a D7000 I would handle it with gloves.

Gentlemen, feast your eyes on THIS....

Jul 3, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #11,301 of 12,993
Gentlemen, feast your eyes on THIS....
No more temptation..... No more temptation..... No more temptation.....

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #11,303 of 12,993
@OldDude04 thanks for that vid, they're looking pretty good.

In any case, if you are looking for a strong bass response, and you don't mind a heavily-colored sound, you can try the V-MODA Crossfade M-100.
V-Moda is definitely on my radar, they have been for years. But they are far too pricey for me at the moment unfortunately, the M-100 being over $100 more than the WS where I am.
I can't really find anything definitive about the WS1100iS btw, can't even seem to find a frequency response chart. It looks like people don't really care about these much.

Jul 5, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #11,304 of 12,993
@OldDude04 thanks for that vid, they're looking pretty good.

V-Moda is definitely on my radar, they have been for years. But they are far too pricey for me at the moment unfortunately, the M-100 being over $100 more than the WS where I am.
I can't really find anything definitive about the WS1100iS btw, can't even seem to find a frequency response chart. It looks like people don't really care about these much.
Hmm. You could try hunting for a used pair? The M-100 not only sounds good, for that particular signature, they are also good looking (IMO), and built really well. You could literally throw it around, and they'll handle the abuse.

You're right, the Solid Bass series of headphones aren't very popular on Head-Fi. The ones that I've tried don't sound bad, but as a whole, they just don't receive enough attention.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #11,306 of 12,993
Man, there are some OG basshead headphones going up for sale lately. HERE is a set of Sony XB1000's that just went up, you hardly ever see these puffy monsters.
Those holding on to XB1000s are probably not willing to sell them at this juncture. It is a true collector's item, and a basshead's favorite. I know I'm not giving mine up! :L3000:

Jul 5, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #11,307 of 12,993
I don't understand something about V-Moda. Why does the M-100 Master cost the same as the M-100 (both 250 on their website)? Isn't the Master an upgraded version? Is V-Moda not into dropping prices on older products?

Jul 7, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #11,308 of 12,993
So I think I've finally narrowed down my choices between two options, either the e-mu's (probably in ebony or purpleheart variety) or the campfire cascade. Does anyone have experience with both of these?

Jul 7, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #11,309 of 12,993
I don't understand something about V-Moda. Why does the M-100 Master cost the same as the M-100 (both 250 on their website)? Isn't the Master an upgraded version? Is V-Moda not into dropping prices on older products?
They aren't similar, the master is much more neutral than the original M-100. It's not an "upgrade", people mastering tracks never bought the OG M-100 to begin with.

Jul 7, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #11,310 of 12,993
A great bass headphone is Kennerton Gjallarhorn. But to get the most bass you have to bend the headband. Great sq also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back