The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Apr 12, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #9,363 of 12,993
I suppose the only problem I have with the set up is that it is a bit bulky in the pocket.  Also due to the touch screen nature of the fiio x5 v3 it is hard to stack the player and amp together using the rubber bands as it block off section of the screen.  Anybody have a solution.  The sound is amazing though as I listen to killer mikes rap music album this morning

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #9,364 of 12,993
  I suppose the only problem I have with the set up is that it is a bit bulky in the pocket.  Also due to the touch screen nature of the fiio x5 v3 it is hard to stack the player and amp together using the rubber bands as it block off section of the screen.  Anybody have a solution.  The sound is amazing though as I listen to killer mikes rap music album this morning

I saw HBB's video of him stacking the x5iii with the a5 and it seem like the screen wasn't obstructed by the bands.  But if you having problems, the way I was gonna stack it was double-side tape the leather case and a5 together.  That case makes it easy for you to slide the x5 out whenever you dont need to stack.    You can buy another leather case when they are made available.

Apr 12, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #9,365 of 12,993
Hey guys, I'm new to the boards and the audiophile world really but decided to jump in head first into the basshead group ...

I decided to scrap my schitt stack 2 idea for the Cayin C5 (from the research i've done on here from previous posts) I'm currently using the FiiO E10k but found out it's not really powerful enough to boost sub-bass to certified basshead levels. In terms of it's DAC, is it fairly neutral? I plan to use my E10K at work and keep the C5 on my desktop at home and I do have other headphones I use for non-bass heavy music.

My primary question comes to EQ'ing...

I couldn't find much information on here in regards to EQ'ing with Equalizer APO/Peace GUI. Thus far, i've been using trial and error to get to where I am today but I coudln't find a decent guide that explained what to boost, cut, and which filters to use. Whenever I EQ by ear (roughly looking at the headphone's frequency graph) I always end up starting over because the end result sounds ****tier than before. Pretty sure I'm utilizing Q values incorrectly too. I just +/- by a factor of .1 until I feel like it sounds okay.  I want to boost as much bass as i can without sacrificing clarity. 

Is there a rough guide to what to do when EQ'ing a set of headphones? I usually just look at where the graph dips between 40-250 hz and boost them while keeping preamp equal to the highest boosted frequency.. I feel like I'm putting so much time into this but the end result is always **** every time. I feel like my brain is going to explode from reading different articles on EQ'ing. What am I doing wrong?

It would be a lot easier if there was a collection of EQ settings tailored for bassheads for different headphones ... one can dream ...

TL;DR: can't EQ for ****, guide me fam!

Headphones I'm using:
V-Moda M100 / DT 770 Pro 80 ohm / Creative Aurvana Live! / Superlux 668b (returning the CAL/DT770 though most likely). 

Apr 12, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #9,366 of 12,993
  Hey guys, I'm new to the boards and the audiophile world really but decided to jump in head first into the basshead group ...

I decided to scrap my schitt stack 2 idea for the Cayin C5 (from the research i've done on here from previous posts) I'm currently using the FiiO E10k but found out it's not really powerful enough to boost sub-bass to certified basshead levels. In terms of it's DAC, is it fairly neutral? I plan to use my E10K at work and keep the C5 on my desktop at home and I do have other headphones I use for non-bass heavy music.

My primary question comes to EQ'ing...

I couldn't find much information on here in regards to EQ'ing with Equalizer APO/Peace GUI. Thus far, i've been using trial and error to get to where I am today but I coudln't find a decent guide that explained what to boost, cut, and which filters to use. Whenever I EQ by ear (roughly looking at the headphone's frequency graph) I always end up starting over because the end result sounds ****tier than before. Pretty sure I'm utilizing Q values incorrectly too. I just +/- by a factor of .1 until I feel like it sounds okay.  I want to boost as much bass as i can without sacrificing clarity. 

Is there a rough guide to what to do when EQ'ing a set of headphones? I usually just look at where the graph dips between 40-250 hz and boost them while keeping preamp equal to the highest boosted frequency.. I feel like I'm putting so much time into this but the end result is always **** every time. I feel like my brain is going to explode from reading different articles on EQ'ing. What am I doing wrong?

It would be a lot easier if there was a collection of EQ settings tailored for bassheads for different headphones ... one can dream ...

TL;DR: can't EQ for ****, guide me fam!

Headphones I'm using:
V-Moda M100 / DT 770 Pro 80 ohm / Creative Aurvana Live! / Superlux 668b (returning the CAL/DT770 though most likely). 

EQ with your ears, not your eyes. Your eyes don't hear the difference :)

Edit: Eq-ing at least for me.. is a never ending process. From one track to the next, one album to the next so on... It all can vary in different areas. The quality of the track itself.. I mean I have been Eq-ing for at least 15-18 years now and I really don't start anywhere but flat and tinker each up .5 decibel increments until I am satisfied and then sometimes changing one means you have to go back and adjust another again... you'll get the hang of it..

Maybe read up on where each frequency lies, like what type of sounds it changes... so you can get a feel for what sounds your pulling and pushing

2nd edit: start with your pre-amp down though don't start at 0 decibles drop it down much lower and start from there, that can help too.

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #9,369 of 12,993
I have the JBL Extreme. It is powerful has tons of bass (don't count on subbass but you will have the boomy effect) but is to heavy for a portable speaker IMO. I rarely take it out of my place as it's too big and heavy to take it everywhere without planning to do so lol. Flip 3 is perfect IMO. I know it depends a lot on how you use it. If you got a car and do everything with it take the Extreme but if you like to travel with bike or walking etc...flip 3 is a better choice

Apr 14, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #9,372 of 12,993
This is how my day started. Today was a good day. 
basshead.gif

Apr 17, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #9,374 of 12,993
To save me reading every page of this thread. What are good low bass songs for me to listen too the hear the best out of my headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back