The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
May 16, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #6,931 of 12,991
Are the xb1000 worth revisiting with different pads? Has anyone even ever got different pads on those dumb things?
I almost bought them before I got my first set of SZ2k. Not that I don't love my SZ2k to death.

May 16, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #6,932 of 12,991
  Are the xb1000 worth revisiting with different pads? Has anyone even ever got different pads on those dumb things?
I almost bought them before I got my first set of SZ2k. Not that I don't love my SZ2k to death.

me and cb3723 talked about that when this thread was built.

Either open the pads and remove  1/2 the padding and re-sew and trim or replace completely. I will probably end up buying the xb1000 and send the drivers to peterek and have them put in another chassis after trying a pad mod. I'm heading back to over ears so a franken beast is very appealing.  I'm waiting on my cable so I can review then sell the Z5 and my other ones too.

May 16, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #6,934 of 12,991

me and cb3723 talked about that when this thread was built.

Either open the pads and remove  1/2 the padding and re-sew and trim or replace completely. I will probably end up buying the xb1000 and send the drivers to peterek and have them put in another chassis after trying a pad mod. I'm heading back to over ears so a franken beast is very appealing.  I'm waiting on my cable so I can review then sell the Z5 and my other ones too.

OOOOWEEEE can't for you to get them.

Wouldn't mind me some Frakensteins

70mm monsters fo sho....

May 16, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #6,936 of 12,991
The purple pads are actually very slightly thicker than the black pads I have. Unfortunately, I just sold the Cayin C5 that I listened to the SZ2Ks through almost exclusively, so I can't give you a sound comparison, though I imagine that they sound similar. They feel excellent. Like your ears are royalty.

Here's an Amazon listing for different colored HM5 pads - those red velour ones are . . . well here they are some headphones.

Yeah, I got the brown ones and they look pretty good. Brings out the gold ring and the poo marks don't show from when the bass makes me crap myself. :p

May 17, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #6,937 of 12,991
Incoming! I am still charging it but what amazes me is its design. Just by the outlook it destroys every US-made portable amp that I have, including the SR71A and SR71B, and the Meier Stepdance. This just makes those US amps look crude. I am honestly surprised at what the Chinese dudes can make these days. Can't wait for it to finish charging and connect the SZ2000 to it.

May 17, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #6,938 of 12,991
  Incoming! I am still charging it but what amazes me is its design. Just by the outlook it destroys every US-made portable amp that I have, including the SR71A and SR71B, and the Meier Stepdance. This just makes those US amps look crude. I am honestly surprised at what the Chinese dudes can make these days. Can't wait for it to finish charging and connect the SZ2000 to it.

SZ and C5 are a really nice pairing.
High gain and bass boost on and you only need a little gain to start thumping hard.

May 17, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #6,940 of 12,991
My only beef with the c5 is the low gain/high gain switch. When using in low gain with iems it's very easy to accidentally switch it to high gain and blow your shizz out.

Other then that c5 is a beast. Powers my Pro 500's like a champ.
My issue with the c5 is durability. I used it at work everyday for a few months and it didn't hold up well. I got a replacement under warranty and I use it like a desktop amp now.

May 17, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #6,941 of 12,991
My issue with the c5 is durability. I used it at work everyday for a few months and it didn't hold up well. I got a replacement under warranty and I use it like a desktop amp now.
really? What happen? I have had mine 6-7 months but I rarely use it. Being warmer outside I switch to iems as headphones are too hot,(I work outside)and cayin n5 provides plenty of power for iems. Plenty of power for anything actually. C5 outside of weird plastic top seems beefy.

May 17, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #6,942 of 12,991
really? What happen? I have had mine 6-7 months but I rarely use it. Being warmer outside I switch to iems as headphones are too hot,(I work outside)and cayin n5 provides plenty of power for iems. Plenty of power for anything actually. C5 outside of weird plastic top seems beefy.
The hi/low gain and bass boost switches were having problems. If anything touched them it would crackle loudly. It was a few months before it started happening and it just got worse and worse. Also, the plastic cover for the pot started popping off on one side. I would snap it back down but it would pop off again. I'm a longshoreman, so I do a wide variety of work. I could be driving top-pick one day and sitting in a gatehouse the next. The only time I didn't use it is if I was doing something were it could get wet or banged up. So it never went up on a ship with me.

I was hoping to sell the replacement I received and put it towards a ifi micro but the shop sent me a demo unit. It's scratched up so I don't want to pass it on to anyone else. But it's working great as a desktop amp.

May 17, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #6,943 of 12,991
The plastic cover on top of the c5 is pretty stupid I'll definitely agree. It pops off and back on though, so I have mine taken off, so i can actually grab the knob from the top and turn it.

I keep the blue bands on mine because it keeps the device raised slightly from whatever surface i put it on which has saved it from many scratches, dings etc. Also when I'm using IEMs and can't have it switch to high gain accidentally, I'll put one of the bands over that switch so it doesn't get changed. It's worked fine for me so far...

I like mine enough that I sold my used one to buy a new one in black because I had been sick of waiting for months for someone to post their black C5 for sale. never happened!

May 19, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #6,944 of 12,991
Hey, guys, what amp do you recommend for ATH Pro700Mk2? I'm thinking of getting em with some pads. Now my question is what pads do u recommend? My first priority isn't really bass, but I do love myself a good ol' thumpin set of cans. My priority is comfort. 

Also, what amp do you suggest to use with them for maximum bass?

And would you recommend the Sz1000 for overall sound over the Pro700mk2 or not? 

Also how are the ws1100is?

May 19, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #6,945 of 12,991
  Hey, guys, what amp do you recommend for ATH Pro700Mk2? I'm thinking of getting em with some pads. Now my question is what pads do u recommend? My first priority isn't really bass, but I do love myself a good ol' thumpin set of cans. My priority is comfort. 

Also, what amp do you suggest to use with them for maximum bass?

And would you recommend the Sz1000 for overall sound over the Pro700mk2 or not? 

Also how are the ws1100is?

You need to stretch the headband as it is a ******* vice grip.  If your priority is comfort and bass the ws1100 would be that. Not exactly basshead but very comfy and good with bass. The SZ1000 are basshead and need eq skills. They are fun for folks like me but for others not so much.
Comfort and Pro 700mk2 are not often mentioned together. If you are a diy guy and can roll pads and stretch bands then the driver is pretty damn stout (53mm) and will hit hard.

Your description sounds like the ws1100

FiiO e12 is good and the Cayin C5 is a little better IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back