The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jun 11, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #4,201 of 12,991
Disregard what I said about swapping pads unless you like bass that hits so hard it hurts, screachy piercing highs, and extremely muddy mids. Kind of sounded like MDR-X10, but with more bass impact completely trashed the sound quality

Jun 12, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #4,202 of 12,991
My X5...
Just got curb stomped by my rooted Note 4
eek.gif

Bass....clarity....everything.

I do not rec the X5 or any of it's brothers. Save your money...cuz..
If the android based  future X7 has any baked in DSP like abilities which is possible since the rep on here played a lot with V4A....I'll rec the **** out of that and buy it faster than ****.
biggrin.gif

Bass test video coming soon
Note 4>>hifimediy>>Cayin C5>>Sz2k

Jun 12, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #4,203 of 12,991
My X5...
Just got curb stomped by my rooted Note 4:eek:

Bass....clarity....everything.

I do not rec the X5 or any of it's brothers. Save your money...cuz..
If the android based  future X7 has any baked in DSP like abilities which is possible since the rep on here played a lot with V4A....I'll rec the **** out of that and buy it faster than ****.:D

Bass test video coming soon
Note 4>>hifimediy>>Cayin C5>>Sz2k

Should try it with extremebeats and Acid V8.3. Add some extra thump

Edit:
biggbenn74 where can you get those for $200 ?!?!?

Jun 12, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #4,204 of 12,991

Well, after a week with these, I've had a revelation. Dug out my FiiO E11 and plugged the XB1000's in. EQ is on setting "2" and wow, these really are the kings of electronica. Clean overall sound signature, tight punchy bass, super comfortable, what's not to love about these? For around $200, these are definitely worth every penny.

Jun 12, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #4,206 of 12,991
Rooted or unrooted? Note 3 unrooted was absolutely horrific. Note 2 was better. Rooted both are amazing, I'd imagine not much difference between all models rooted. I have a note 4 now, but decided not to root. Without root, it's tolerable, but I prefer a separate dap.

Jun 12, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #4,208 of 12,991
For the first time, I really had no need. When I first bought N4, there wasn't much available in the way of theming, which is the only thing this phone is missing IMHO. I find this phone near perfect for me. I may root it in the future, just because I love playing with electronics.

Jun 13, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #4,210 of 12,991
A couple of my own basshead musings:

Do you ever notice that when you're tired, sleepy, or didn't get enough sleep the night before...that your ears are less sensitive to sub-bass? Do you feel like you want to use more bass in the EQ when you're tired, versus when you're not? Happens with me.

Do you also notice that, as a song progresses, you want to gradually turn up the bass more, because the mids & highs gradually get louder throughout the song while the amount of sub-bass stays the same? Commonplace with me.

In the words of a fun bass tune from 1994, I guess we could call it..."the basshead syndrome"! I got this album by DJ Magic Mike, called Bass The Final Frontier a couple months after turning 16 when that album first came out. I've kept this album in my collection throughout the years, but once my car stereo improved enough, I no longer needed this album for lots of bass. Same story with my headphones in recent months.

But here's that fun tune from it called, "This is for the Bassheads." If you enjoy 50 Hz, you especially oughta love it! 
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #4,213 of 12,991
  Claim: V4A is all that

Claim: busted

Claim: Confirmed

*full screen vid
**note mids and highs reduced. This is listening level without audible distortion

I am very tempted to pull the trigger for the JVC and then compare it with my Q40.

Compare in bass??
Save your money.
There is no comparison.

Jun 13, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #4,214 of 12,991
@DiscoProJoe i've noticed that aswell. Thought something was wrong with my hearring.... Glad to know i'm not alone, lol

Why does it seem that other basshead threads seem to worship the Q40? Say something has more bass than it, and they're like you don't know ****

I hadn't heard of the Q40 until you mentioned it, so I looked it up. Looks like its main advantage is its awesome sensitivity (116dB @ 1mW @ 64ohms). This probably would be equivalent to 113 dB @ 1 mW @ 32 ohms. By contrast, my beloved M-100s are only 103 dB @ 1 mW @ 32 ohms.

But I also looked up the Q40's response curve on Google Images. The M-100 is a lot better in comparison in that category. The Q40 has too much mid-bass, and rolls off pretty steep below 50 Hz. Furthermore, the M-100 probably has more detailed mids, and usually doesn't need a treble boost with its naturally "bright" signature.

So yeah, I'm sure the Q40 has more bass, definitely. But for overall sound quality and low-end sub-bass / infrasound, the M-100 almost certainly wins out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back