Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200)
Sep 13, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #556 of 3,060
  Okay, got my E07K today, sorry if this setup is a bit mid-fi (~300$ after shipping and all). I have my trusty E06. Prolly will get some IEMs to keep in the budget-fi tier.

Love the sound of this setup though. Especially the mids.

Does it really sound any different with E07 than E06, if you're not using the amps' EQ settings?

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #557 of 3,060
  Does it really sound any different with E07 than E06, if you're not using the amps' EQ settings?

Umm, I still haven't given it the full beans but my first impressions were clearer sound and wider soundstage (No EQ). I don't fiddle much, I just set the Bass at +2, with my Walkman's EQ at Clear Bass +2, 16khz +1. I'm pretty happy with this. Oh and Gain's set at +6db. Loud enough for me at 38/60. Got the E07k to use on my PC as well. The mids actually sound better, but that's all credit to the SRH440s.

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #558 of 3,060

Not good at all. I had SR60i for a few years, and there is zero isolation from outside noise.....so you either have to crank up your tunes to drown that other stuff out (and ruin your hearing) or just pause the music all the time. And the big stiff cable is annoying, for me I would only use them at home when I had them.

Well Achmed like all music; listening is pretty subjective and different for every user. I don't recall ever being anywhere so loud I had to crank my SR-60's to ear bleeding levels and for me a little leakage to those around me seemed to never get me noticed. In this day and age when headphone listening is out of the closet so to speak especially for full size cans on the go I never found my SR-60's to be too large nor heavy, although I don't and won't own a pair of Beats I'm pretty sure the SR-60's are not much larger and for sure no heavier. There are so many choices on the market these days from IEM's, on the ear and over the ear it's mind boggling and regardless of what you pick, what you like the sound of you are portable and on the go, always limitations to these types of environments no?

If I really want to do critical (undisturbed) listening I go up into my man cave and play my rig sitting in my sweet spot. This is my main home rig driving B&W Nautilus 804's:

What do you suppose I would buy to have the same quality of sound I get here and just where in a portable situation would you think the ideal place while travelling that would be. To me the main thing is we are all listening to music when and where we want and hopefully have built a rig that brings us great pleasure. The other great thing about this hobby is to each their own, many may not like or feel the same way about the same system but to the owner and one who enjoys that Grado SR-60 system makes it no better or worse than another. To me and a sad fact is sometimes the level of arrogance in this hobby just astounds me, I've always felt it was a major part of the demise of  bricks and mortar salons going out of business that and this new less personal tool called the internet! I've always been of the mind buy what you can afford and enjoy what you have and don't let anyone break your resolve of that. Sometimes I get my greatest headphone joy from listening to my Shure E2's on my original iPod Mini
cool.gif

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #560 of 3,060

Well Achmed like all music; listening is pretty subjective and different for every user. I don't recall ever being anywhere so loud I had to crank my SR-60's to ear bleeding levels and for me a little leakage to those around me seemed to never get me noticed.

So you've never walked down a road with 45mph traffic going by in both directions? That was enough for me to pause the music rather than turn it up louder. I never paid any attention to whether anyone else could hear me or not....lol. I still say the big cord was inconvenient on the go, but sure, YMMV. 
wink_face.gif

Nice home system you have there!

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #561 of 3,060

The "waiting for my kids at tutoring" rig.
My old iphone4s > XBA3 (paid $60aud shipped on special). Nice warm and bassy for my EDM needs

Sep 14, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #562 of 3,060

DAMIT! I'm trying to save money. not spend it. Your rig never ever fails to bring forward my envy

hahaha thanks mate :p Here are a couple more to make you even more envious xD

Anyway, to balance out the mid-fi with a bit of budget-fi -

Stock MDR-EX083 IEMs, I actually like these heaps. They sound really good after being EQ'd.

Sep 14, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #563 of 3,060

hahaha thanks mate :p Here are a couple more to make you even more envious xD

Anyway, to balance out the mid-fi with a bit of budget-fi -

Stock MDR-EX083 IEMs, I actually like these heaps. They sound really good after being EQ'd.

Looks like the DAP and the E07 pair so well together! Thankfully I locked the wallet away. No impulse buying from me. 

Sep 16, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #565 of 3,060
The Mid-Fi thread is live guys...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/681701/pictures-of-your-mid-fi-portable-rig-200-600

Sep 16, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #567 of 3,060

So you've never walked down a road with 45mph traffic going by in both directions? That was enough for me to pause the music rather than turn it up louder. I never paid any attention to whether anyone else could hear me or not....lol. I still say the big cord was inconvenient on the go, but sure, YMMV. 
wink_face.gif

Nice home system you have there!

So true on the YMMV Achmed and I've never been walking in those conditions and can't remember the last time I've taken public transportation anywhere outside of an occasional plane flight. My portable use is generally bike riding, playing a round of disc golf, watching sporting events or yard work. Desktop has a system, GTi has a system and of course the old man cave and thank you for the comps on that by the way 
smile.gif

Thank for the Mid-Fi thread Troll
beerchug.gif

Sep 16, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #569 of 3,060

Users who are viewing this thread

Back