Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200)
Sep 12, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #541 of 3,060
Going back to spring of 2010.....my players at that time.

Sony S545, Sony E345, and the requisite Clip+.  I think at that time I had JVC Flats and KSC75s as my main headphones.....

Sep 12, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #542 of 3,060
Well, honestly I think the limit should be around $250-300. For instance something like a C3+E11+S500 when you take into account shipping and possible taxes will go over 200 bucks and yet still is a great budget rig. Also I don't think some products (like x3 or dx50) should be dismissed just because in some countries with the shipping and the taxes they'll get like 100 bucks more expensive coz the one posting such an item might have not paid that additional price (and no, I'm not in such position - dx50's coming to around 350 bucks for me too).
Also, if someone got something on a sale at a great price or bought something used at a great price - I don't think he should be feeling bad posting this as part of his budget rig just because other people might not have the opportunity to get such a bargain.

Anyway, here's a budget rig - C3 + meelec a161p

How are the A161P?

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #543 of 3,060
How are the A161P?

Well, it's pretty good if you don't mind mid-centric signature with aggressive presentation but a bit on the intimate side soundstage-wise. I have to admit though that lately I've been listening to the VSD1S more but they are both good just different and they are both part of my "drinking" rig, which is what I carry with me when I know I'll be drinking a lot coz I tend to lose more expensive stuff in that condition. 
The funny thing is that since I lost a pair of sennheiser ie7 I've designated some iems particularly for that but I get drunk pretty often, so in the end I listen to these iems the most and my drinking kinda limits me to always use a budget portable rig on the go.

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #544 of 3,060
  Well, it's pretty good if you don't mind mid-centric signature with aggressive presentation but a bit on the intimate side soundstage-wise. I have to admit though that lately I've been listening to the VSD1S more but they are both good just different and they are both part of my "drinking" rig, which is what I carry with me when I know I'll be drinking a lot coz I tend to lose more expensive stuff in that condition. 
The funny thing is that since I lost a pair of sennheiser ie7 I've designated some iems particularly for that but I get drunk pretty often, so in the end I listen to these iems the most and my drinking kinda limits me to always use a budget portable rig on the go.

Ah, I have the VSD1S atm:)

Would you say the VSD1S and the A161P are better or of less quality?

Lol @ drinking rigs haha. 
tongue.gif

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #545 of 3,060

Ah, I have the VSD1S atm:)

Would you say the VSD1S and the A161P are better or of less quality?

Lol @ drinking rigs haha. 
tongue.gif

Well, I think the a161p has a slight edge in overall sq but depending on personal preferences this can change coz I think more people will like the VSD1S's presentation

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #546 of 3,060

Well, I think the a161p has a slight edge in overall sq but depending on personal preferences this can change coz I think more people will like the VSD1S's presentation

Ah, interesting. I might have to try the A161P someday soon. From what I hear, they're pretty good. I guess I'll have to be the judge of that for myself:)

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #548 of 3,060
  Well put kova4a!
That first statement is exactly why I started this thread in the first place.

The only problem I had with the DX50 is it would probably cost me here in Canada $350 to get landed after duty, taxes and shipping etc... Pair that with a pair of S500's which are a Budget-Fi leader in my opinion and the rig just went over $400... Which I feel is too high for this thread.

Possibly we need a Mid-Fi Portable Pictures thread with stuff starting at $300 to $XXX... If someone wants to take that ball and run then feel free.

I just got extremely tired of the all the $3K+ stuff in that other thread which really belongs in Summit-Fi, someone would post a nice iPod classic and some Amperior's which would promptly get stomped on by another 12 pictures of the A&K, silly wires, an amp and LCD's. The Classic and Senn's don't even get a passing glance or comment after all the "Looky What I Got" pictures...

We even have some here in this thread who mold their own custom IEM's out of Monoprice drivers, and how well does anyone think that would fly in the other thread next to the JH16's and HEIR's?

The home brew CIEM's are more than welcome in this thread and would never be mocked.
Sorry for the little rant.
biggrin.gif

Hear Hear TD, I'm sure game for three separate Budget-Fi threads say a $0.00 to $100.00 (to include the best purchases you ever made systems), a thread for $100.00 to $300 (with some nice budget systems to some getting close to the edge of budget and approaching Mid-Fi) and then a thread for Mid-Fi portable rigs from $300.00 to say $600.00 or just about to crest what most could even justify as budget anymore since a smart shopper could pretty much put a decent little home stereo rig together for just under $700 bones! ie: Qinpu A6000 16.5 Watt tube integrated w/sweet headphone amp for $249.00, Project's new Redbook CD Box S for $299.00, Dayton B652 Bookshelf monitors for I kid you not $39.80 (don't laugh and go out and read Stephen Mejias's 01/02/2013 Stereophile review on these) with Dayton's powered Sub800 (I run  this very speaker combo on my desktop at work with Qinpu's $50.00 and 8.5 Watts less A3 integrated and I have no doubt it could be a home rig integrated a well)! I have already demo'd and talked a few friends into buying this very setup as a home rig before going out and letting the best buy type stores try and sell them a grand worth of cheap plastic boxes:frowning2: 

OK, enough of my soapbox drivel and back to budget. How about these Sony MDR Q33's $20.00 atached to my free (with 2 year plan) iPhone 4
wink_face.gif

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #549 of 3,060
Hmm, guessiing this ones going to have to go into the budget to Mid-Fi budget thread
eek.gif

7th Gen Nano, JDS C421, Lightning Adapt, L3 and SR-60's

Sep 12, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #552 of 3,060
Just curious how the grados are as portable? Since its on ear and open. Also wont the cable be too stiff when you are out and about?

I found my Alessandro's fine for portable.
The on ear wasnt an issue.  Open was actually good sometimes especially walking in the CBD, but in saying that it greatly effects the sound of course.
The cable was a little stiff, but not overly so.

My biggest issue with using them as a portable was sound leakage on public transport.  If you dont travel on trains etc to work then they are fine :)

Scott

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #553 of 3,060
Just curious how the grados are as portable? Since its on ear and open. Also wont the cable be too stiff when you are out and about?

Not good at all. I had SR60i for a few years, and there is zero isolation from outside noise.....so you either have to crank up your tunes to drown that other stuff out (and ruin your hearing) or just pause the music all the time. And the big stiff cable is annoying, for me I would only use them at home when I had them.

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #554 of 3,060

Not good at all. I had SR60i for a few years, and there is zero isolation from outside noise.....so you either have to crank up your tunes to drown that other stuff out (and ruin your hearing) or just pause the music all the time. And the big stiff cable is annoying, for me I would only use them at home when I had them.

+1. used ms1i for portable long time ago. bad idea. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back