Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200)
May 22, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #2,686 of 3,060
How is it compare to other amps like fiio e11k or topping nx2?

I dont own an e11k but I have nx2. All about pairing with right sources I suppose. My nx2 is currently with my colorfly c3. I would say the nx1 & nx2 have more power. The xq-10 is a nice match with the benjie and it seems to go well with a clip too. Similar size helps in the pocket space dept . :blush:

May 22, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #2,687 of 3,060
I dont own an e11k but I have nx2. All about pairing with right sources I suppose. My nx2 is currently with my colorfly c3. I would say the nx1 & nx2 have more power. The xq-10 is a nice match with the benjie and it seems to go well with a clip too. Similar size helps in the pocket space dept . :blush:

How good is NX2's DAC section I will be using it with clip plus?Do you think think it will be an improvement?

May 22, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #2,688 of 3,060
How good is NX2's DAC section I will be using it with clip plus?Do you think think it will be an improvement?

I doubt that the Clip+ outputs digital audio......

May 22, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #2,692 of 3,060
Will DAC work through 3.5 mm jack?

No it won't, that was what I was trying to communicate. If you pair an amp/dac with the Clip+ you will only be able to take advantage of the amp section on that device.

That being said I do find the amp section on the NX2 to be superior to its DAC section so might still be worth a shot.

May 22, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #2,693 of 3,060
No it won't, that was what I was trying to communicate. If you pair an amp/dac with the Clip+ you will only be able to take advantage of the amp section on that device.

That being said I do find the amp section on the NX2 to be superior to its DAC section so might still be worth a shot.

Is there any other way to use DAC?

May 22, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #2,694 of 3,060
Is there any other way to use DAC?

Unfortunately not with the Clip+. To be able to take advantage of an external dac you need a source/player that supports digital output such as a smart phone /tablet (with OTG support) , a computer or a DAP that has either USB or spdif output.

May 22, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #2,696 of 3,060
Does ipod touch 4th generation supports OTG?

I know 5 and 6 support digital out and I believe the 4 might as well but I'm not an Apple user so someone else could probably give you an better answer.

The thing with Apple though is that they've (of course) got their own digital out protocol and the external dac's working with it tends to be pretty expensive if I'm not mistaken.

Fwiw I've got a Touch 4 gen myself and have never been able to get it to work with any of the 10+ external dac's I've tried it with......

May 22, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #2,697 of 3,060
I know 5 and 6 support digital out and I believe the 4 might as well but I'm not an Apple user so someone else could probably give you an better answer.

The thing with Apple though is that they've (of course) got their own digital out protocol and the external dac's working with it tends to be pretty expensive if I'm not mistaken.

Fwiw I've got a Touch 4 gen myself and have never been able to get it to work with any of the 10+ external dac's I've tried it with......

So what' the point of buying a portable DAC if you can't use it with any portable device?

May 22, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #2,698 of 3,060

So what' the point of buying a portable DAC if you can't use it with any portable device?

Its a question of older devices and newer technology.

Chances are many of these recent portable dac/amps weren't designed to run with older sources and many of those sources OTG wasn't around. 

Many smartphones will output a data signal, phones like the Galaxy S3, S4 picked up cheap on eBay. Good screens and any app UI you want as well.

Have a read of the Android / USB DAC thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs

May 22, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #2,699 of 3,060

Chances are many of these recent portable dac/amps weren't designed to run with older sources and many of those sources OTG wasn't around. 

Many smartphones will output a data signal, phones like the Galaxy S3, S4 picked up cheap on eBay. Good screens and any app UI you want as well.

I have a galaxy s4 but I don't use as a music player as its not powerful enough.

May 22, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #2,700 of 3,060

I have a galaxy s4 but I don't use as a music player as its not powerful enough.

But it doesn't need to be powerful for this application. The purpose of connecting a portable dac/amp to your phone is that it takes over the audio and output power.

All the S4 must do is send the signal as data to the dac/amp where it takes control of the music.

Here's an example of something I had going last year.

Best you do some reading up on the way it works. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back