Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200)
May 2, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #2,657 of 3,060
You like c1?

To early to say. I havne 't had time to do any critical listening or comparison to other DAP's yet. That being said I've used it quite a bit when out and about since I've got it and haven't found anything to dislike (in sound) yet :wink:

It struggles with anything over 32ohm the VE monk Is perfect out of it

May 2, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #2,659 of 3,060
You know, I think if the iPhone 2G dies on me, I might get a newer iPhone as my DAP. Its honestly my favourite so far

I love my old iPhone. I have a iPhone 4 from 2013 or something. They never get enough credit around Head-Fi.

When you balance out the sound quality with price and fold in the UI experience, it's amazing. Better than a ton of DAPs.

May 2, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #2,660 of 3,060
Still have the 2g until now, but the 8gb memory is really a major limitation. Oh, and music streaming service such as Spotify and Tidal are not supported. Soundwise, one of the best.

The 8GB isn't a major limitation for me I have it set to convert high bitrate stuff to 256kbps AAC, so I have around 606 songs with around 2.8GB free

I love my old iPhone. I have a iPhone 4 from 2013 or something. They never get enough credit around Head-Fi.

When you balance out the sound quality with price and fold in the UI experience, it's amazing. Better than a ton of DAPs.

iPhone 4 was 2010 if memory serves, so does that mean you got yours in 2013? I never had much experience with iOS before so, this is new to me, and I really like the UI, and I'll definitely grab a new one. The iPhone 4 8GB is around 60 on eBay, and the 5C is around 100, so I see another one in my future

May 2, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #2,661 of 3,060
The 8GB isn't a major limitation for me I have it set to convert high bitrate stuff to 256kbps AAC, so I have around 606 songs with around 2.8GB free
iPhone 4 was 2010 if memory serves, so does that mean you got yours in 2013? I never had much experience with iOS before so, this is new to me, and I really like the UI, and I'll definitely grab a new one. The iPhone 4 8GB is around 60 on eBay, and the 5C is around 100, so I see another one in my future

Ya, may have got it on 2012, used. I actually have the one, two, three and three G. But the iPhone 4 is my favorite and sounds the best. It's just ever so slightly less powerful than the iPod 5 G I have. Still it has an extra warmth that the others just don't have. I figure the only issue with getting these things used is the batteries have a lifespan of only so long. I have a number of Apple players which at the beginning have super long battery charge life and after about 5 or so years they can be noted to have the batterie life start to shorten. You can have batteries replaced but it's not something you want to do especially after you get a new/used player.

One of the coolest Apple players you will see on this thread is guys who purchased redone Apple iPod mini players. They were big with gals in 05. But they sell used reconditioned ones, with brand new batteries and solid state giant hard drives. You can change run Rockbox ontop of the Apple OS and they sound great. You just don't get all the cool stuff that Apple phones do. Maybe my favorite thing is the old iPhone 4 has no more updates made by Apple for it so I don't have to deal with OS9 on the player. I actually like the older OSs better.

May 2, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #2,662 of 3,060
Ya, may have got it on 2012, used. I actually have the one, two, three and three G. But the iPhone 4 is my favorite and sounds the best. It's just ever so slightly less powerful than the iPod 5 G I have. Still it has an extra warmth that the others just don't have. I figure the only issue with getting these things used is the batteries have a lifespan of only so long. I have a number of Apple players which at the beginning have super long battery charge life and after about 5 or so years they can be noted to have the batterie life start to shorten. You can have batteries replaced but it's not something you want to do especially after you get a new/used player.

One of the coolest Apple players you will see on this thread is guys who purchased redone Apple iPod mini players. They were big with gals in 05. But they sell used reconditioned ones, with brand new batteries and solid state giant hard drives. You can change run Rockbox ontop of the Apple OS and they sound great. You just don't get all the cool stuff that Apple phones do. Maybe my favorite thing is the old iPhone 4 has no more updates made by Apple for it so I don't have to deal with OS9 on the player. I actually like the older OSs better.

I think you mean iPhone 2 G, 3G and 3GS. I actually have an iPod Mini. New battery and 16GB SD card. Don't remember where i put it though

May 2, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #2,663 of 3,060

I use my old iPhone 4 as a dedicated DAP now that I upgraded to the 6, works great with my Tomahawk
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #2,667 of 3,060
  I use my old iPhone 4 as a dedicated DAP now that I upgraded to the 6, works great with my Tomahawk
biggrin.gif

TThey are nice in LINE OUT DIRECT mode.

May 3, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #2,668 of 3,060
I think you mean iPhone 2 G, 3G and 3GS. I actually have an iPod Mini. New battery and 16GB SD card. Don't remember where i put it though

Yes, you may be right on the models. I just have them but only use them as a phone number storage. I love the sound of those old mini iPods. I need to upgrade mine to those changes myself. The original Shuffle was one of my favorite sounding iPods, at only 500MB.

May 3, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #2,669 of 3,060
Are you using the iTunes AAC converter?

When you plug in your iPhone, go to the summary page on iTunes, and there's an option for converting higher nitrate to 128,192 or 256kbps AAC. It converts while syncing .

Yes, you may be right on the models. I just have them but only use them as a phone number storage. I love the sound of those old mini iPods. I need to upgrade mine to those changes myself. The original Shuffle was one of my favorite sounding iPods, at only 500MB.

Was seriously considering a shuffle to.throw some of my favourite songs onto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back