Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 11, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #44,566 of 48,562
I'm just seeing this. You have confused me even more. Pre amps? Tubes? Does it work on ps4? I'm thinking about upgrading but I heard that the ps5 will have 3d audio. I don't mind spending money but I'm not sure if this would be a waste.

I'm speculating the PS5 will have 3D audio processing at the software level. I believe things like mixamps will still work via USB. Since the surround audio will be processed by the console, there will not be a need for optical out. -That's just my theory. I really hope they still include an optical out.

If 3D audio is processed at the console and can be sent via USB, it means headsets that are only stereo on PS4 will effectively be surround on PS5. For instance, the Logitech G533 headset I own. Great surround PC headset, but on PS4 is stereo only (PS4 is stereo only via USB), and I just can't do stereo only for gaming.

I've read the PS5 full detail is possibly coming early June. I hope we'll know more by then.

May 11, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #44,567 of 48,562
I'm speculating the PS5 will have 3D audio processing at the software level. I believe things like mixamps will still work via USB. Since the surround audio will be processed by the console, there will not be a need for optical out. -That's just my theory. I really hope they still include an optical out.

If 3D audio is processed at the console and can be sent via USB, it means headsets that are only stereo on PS4 will effectively be surround on PS5. For instance, the Logitech G533 headset I own. Great surround PC headset, but on PS4 is stereo only (PS4 is stereo only via USB), and I just can't do stereo only for gaming.

I've read the PS5 full detail is possibly coming early June. I hope we'll know more by then.
Yeah, I like my sony platinums 3d audio. The soundstage and imaging could be better. Sony tries to make sure they're the only vendors for thier line of products. I miss my old px4 headsets. They were complete.

May 11, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #44,568 of 48,562
I had the original Sony Gold headset up until a few years ago. The feature set was definitely nice - VSS, battery life indicator and such available onscreen, chat/volume mix, and recessed mic. I always wanted to try the Platinums, but not at the msrp. The lack of good gaming headsets is what led me down the rabbit hole of going to open back headphones, modmic wireless, and a surround processor. I do miss being fully wireless though. Hoping there's some better surround options for PS5.

May 11, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #44,569 of 48,562
I had the original Sony Gold headset up until a few years ago. The feature set was definitely nice - VSS, battery life indicator and such available onscreen, chat/volume mix, and recessed mic. I always wanted to try the Platinums, but not at the msrp. The lack of good gaming headsets is what led me down the rabbit hole of going to open back headphones, modmic wireless, and a surround processor. I do miss being fully wireless though. Hoping there's some better surround options for PS5.
I had the arctis pro wireless. They were great and then the sound got distorted.

May 11, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #44,571 of 48,562
I have the Arctis 7 Wireless, and knock on wood, it has been pretty good. It's not audiophile-grade equipment, but I have not found anything else as comfortable and convenient across my PS4 and PC.
Yeah, the wireless were outstanding. The soundstage, imaging... everything was there. Not sure what happened but they started to sound terrible.

May 11, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #44,573 of 48,562
I wanted a better sounding system than just what the consumer soundcard offerings give. So I kept everything modular so I can grow my system over time. Can it work with a PS4? Sure, but I am looking for a replacement virtualizer since I've discovered the G6 is limited to 48KHz out on it's toslink. And the tube preamp really takes the system to a higher level, and I gain raise the gain on the Line-Out from my DAC to better match my amp.

The nice thing about this setup is that I can ignore things like DAC quality and amp ability of these USB devices, and simply focus on virtualizer options.

The DAC on the X3 is an AK4456 iirc. As for any questions about the dongle, I cannot answer as I do not have one. Besides it's useless for my setup since I want a virtualizer that outputs a digital signal, so that I can use my better standalone DAC.
What about the g7? I've heard of x-fi or something like that. Is it possible to get 3d sound in open-back headphones? That pre amp sounds cool but is it a big difference or minimal? I'm an android user and I have not found a virtualizer yet that works.

May 11, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #44,574 of 48,562
What about the g7? I've heard of x-fi or something like that. Is it possible to get 3d sound in open-back headphones? That pre amp sounds cool but is it a big difference or minimal? I'm an android user and I have not found a virtualizer yet that works.
The tube buffer kicks it up a level in overall quality, as I mentioned before.

May 12, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #44,575 of 48,562
The Magni 3 is a headphone amplifier only, the Heresy is a USB DAC/amp.
But if your only going to be working with stereo (2.0) audio, USB is fine.
If you went with the Magni 3, you would also need a DAC, unless your going to use your motherboard's built in DAC function.

I will get the modi 3 as DAC,

I just wanted to know if there is any difference in gaming between Magni 3+/Herery,they are both AMP. :)

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #44,576 of 48,562
Thank you so much for this amazing guide! I have read a lot of it, but I am confused on one thing. I just got a Creative G6 for exclusive use on the PS4 playing games like Warzone. Headphones are AD700x. Will be connecting G6 to PS4 via optical and having PS4 output DD5.1 to G6.

What settings do I need on the G6? I assume the settings are to turn everything off and Dolby to Full. And since direct mode doesn't work on PS4, set audio effects to Stereo, no matter how counter-intuitive that sounds.

I ask because I've read other people say that even for PS4, they turn surround to 100. But that doesn't sound right because that seems like it means that artificial sounds will make it to my ears, when what I want is the most precise imaging possible for footsteps and related game sounds. I also have read confusion about the configuration with people some people saying set it to stereo, while other say set it to 5.1 or 7.1.

Can someone please advise? Thank you!!
The G6 Dolby setting / dial is just a dynamic range control (Auto-volume balancing) setting for Dolby content.

May 14, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #44,577 of 48,562
I picked up the G7. I tried picking up the k712 from akg.com but it's unsuccessful. I intend to buy the 700x but am wondering is there anything that I can buy that would be close to them as far playing fps? I recently got into WWZ and dying light. I'm looking for something that can possibly be an all rounder. Any suggestions?

May 14, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #44,578 of 48,562
guys anyone had tried hesuvi software?actual make my soundblaster z useless,now wanna pair my ad700x and hesuvi virtual sorround with good amp dac for gaming only,i m planning to take fulla 3,someone have some tips or suggestions?

May 14, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #44,579 of 48,562
I picked up the G7. I tried picking up the k712 from akg.com but it's unsuccessful. I intend to buy the 700x but am wondering is there anything that I can buy that would be close to them as far playing fps? I recently got into WWZ and dying light. I'm looking for something that can possibly be an all rounder. Any suggestions?
i have ad700x and is great,i had k612 1year ago,switching to ad700x was awesome..more crispy and wider soundstage,but bass are baddest :/

May 14, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #44,580 of 48,562
guys anyone had tried hesuvi software?actual make my soundblaster z useless,now wanna pair my ad700x and hesuvi virtual sorround with good amp dac for gaming only,i m planning to take fulla 3,someone have some tips or suggestions?
Fulla 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back