Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 16, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #44,596 of 48,562
The only odd thing is on the australian site I linked they list the depth at 28mm, yet on the Dekoni site the depth is at 22mm, which is the same as the stock pads if I'm not mistaken, which means they don't really create anymore space. Are you able to confirm this?
it's 30mm actually :) they are twice as thick as the stock pads in depth.

May 16, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #44,598 of 48,562
May 19, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #44,600 of 48,562
Hi all!
this is my first post here, but I have used this site as a reference for many years.

So I have had in the past UE 6000, then the ATH MSR7 and now I'm looking for improvement as the right channel on those stopped working a few days ago.

I have a Fiio E10K and a K3 DAC. In the past I used those headphones in the office but from now on I only use them in my house, so I don't need to worry about sound isolation or portability. I used these cans for everything: play games, music (all types of genres), films, etc.

After looking for advice I considered that a pair of open headphones maybe be the better choice for me.

I decided to spend a maximum of 200 euros on the new "toy". I now that I like V shape headphones (that's why I always have the DAC bass boost mode on), but I also like to have clarity and detail. I know nothing about soundstage as I never had open headphones, but I perceived improvement on the UE 6000 -> ATH MSR7 change.

So taking all of these into account I have "reduced" the options into Philips Fidelio X2HR, SoundMagic HP200 and Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO.

I am still open to new options but, as you all now, looking for a new headphone is a total madness...

So, could you give me some help here?? :relaxed:

Thanks in advance!!

May 19, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #44,601 of 48,562
if you like v shaped sound, the 990 Pro is the choice I'd make.

May 19, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #44,605 of 48,562
First of all, thanks for your answer!
So if I pick the beyer 990 pro, what would I lose from the other models? (maybe better details, soundstage....)

Thanks again!
The X2 would be a better sounding alternative. The reason I recommended the 990 over it was mainly because its more bass and treble centric, while the X2 is less so. But IMHO, the X2 is a better headphone. I haven't heard the other one, so I can't say.

May 20, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #44,606 of 48,562
The 1990's arrived today at the moment I'm using them with a dac of sorts, I use a GoXLR for streaming and comms but it is advised to use a headphone amp. Just gotta wait for Schiit to send over the magni 3+.

First impressions even without the amp the sound is great, seems to be better detail than the 660S, slightly better soundstage and a bit more warm and bright. Far more enjoyable listening to my kind of music HipHop/Rap/RnB. I will say I had been somewhat scared off them by the Z reviews devotees who said I'd hate the murderous treble, well guess I'm not treble sensitive, also think the Dekoni pads mentioned by @Chastity have helped in that regard.

Plenty of earcup room using the Dekoni's, no issues there, the clamping isn't as bad as I'd heard, although everyone's skull is different. You do feel it over time, I think it's potentially due to the weight as the initial clamp isn't very noticeable for me.

Have only used them in Destiny 2, and have found them a step up in imaging from the 660S.

I imagine once the amp arrives then I will be able to truly appreciate them.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #44,607 of 48,562
Destiny 2 has a fantastic sound all around. A great game for headphone testing.

May 20, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #44,609 of 48,562
FYI: Creative SBX G6 Firmware 2.0 came out today.

Fixes:
  • Support GameVoice Mix on Sony PS4
  • Fix Mic cut-off on PS4 in prolong idle time
  • Audio cut-off in Direct Mode
  • Support Noise Reduction for Microphone input on Sony PS4 or Nintendo Switch
  • While in sidetone mode (volume LED is in RED color), double click the master volume button will turn ON or OFF Noise Reduction
Creative SBX G6 Downloads

May 21, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #44,610 of 48,562
Hi Envy can't believe I can get a hold of you through this forum, I remember like couple years ago, I used these reviews to decide on sennheiser game ones, (bought used at ebay). I am trying to upgrade to a more audiophile quality headphone, while still keeping the ones for the mic, but I am not sure what to choose...
My budget is like 250$, and I am going to be gaming, and listening to music.
I mostly listen to music like this, kinda electronic, house, nu-disco.

What open/semi headphone would you recommend for 250$? also if you can recommend a sound card, or dac and amp too that would be great.
Anyone can answer, please just help me!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back