Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 15, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #44,584 of 48,562
After some suggestions, I currently own the 599's and have had them for some time, they are a great all rounder but I was looking to upgrade to something that perhaps images better and has a bit more treble.

So after reading many reviews I went with the 660S now whilst they sound good, unfortunately my ears touch the foam covered drivers. Now whilst my 599's are angled I've owned many other flat headphones before and never had that issue.

From there I started digging into earcup depth of the 1990's, and found several reviews on here mentioning peoples ears were pressed up against the drivers due to the shallow and flat earcup.

So I'm looking for any recommendations for an open back pair, with excellent imaging, soundstage not nearly as important, with a good amount of depth for the ears. I'm somewhat limited as I'm in Australia so buying off Mass isn't always an option, but I should be able to source most brands fine. Looking to spend under $650 USD.

May 15, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #44,585 of 48,562
After some suggestions, I currently own the 599's and have had them for some time, they are a great all rounder but I was looking to upgrade to something that perhaps images better and has a bit more treble.

So after reading many reviews I went with the 660S now whilst they sound good, unfortunately my ears touch the foam covered drivers. Now whilst my 599's are angled I've owned many other flat headphones before and never had that issue.

From there I started digging into earcup depth of the 1990's, and found several reviews on here mentioning peoples ears were pressed up against the drivers due to the shallow and flat earcup.

So I'm looking for any recommendations for an open back pair, with excellent imaging, soundstage not nearly as important, with a good amount of depth for the ears. I'm somewhat limited as I'm in Australia so buying off Mass isn't always an option, but I should be able to source most brands fine. Looking to spend under $650 USD.
What sources or DAC/amp are you plugging headphones into?

May 15, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #44,587 of 48,562
What about some AKG K702s? Pretty big cups with lots of details. You just need an amp for those to really make them shine. I don't THINK you'll have a problem with the ears touching the drivers.

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #44,589 of 48,562
Those I have tried, one of my friends has them, or had them. Whilst I enjoyed the sound, and I found them comfortable I didn't find them particularly accurate. He has them hooked up to a Schiit stack.
The K612 is cheaper and more accurate sounding. I'd def think there are people that would prefer them too.

May 15, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #44,590 of 48,562

The Dekoni pads for DT headphones are much deeper than the stock pads. I also have some large ears, and I didn't have an issue with ears touching the back area with the stock pads of the DT-1990.

May 15, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #44,591 of 48,562
The Dekoni pads for DT headphones are much deeper than the stock pads. I also have some large ears, and I didn't have an issue with ears touching the back area with the stock pads of the DT-1990.

Oh that's good to hear, and it doesn't change the sound profile much? Trying to source them locally do you know which ones they are, there seems to be a wide range of materials? I'd prefer something that doesn't get too hot. I found these ones are they what you mean? https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/dekoni-audio-elite-velour-earpads-for-beyerdynamic-dt-series

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #44,592 of 48,562
Anyone know of a company that recables? I wanna get some PortaPros but recable them for longevity. The connection between the drivers and the cables are always what breaks first for me. So a company that can reinforce that connection would be ideal.

My problem with Dekoni pads is that they alter the sound on pretty much every headphone I've tested them on. So I'd pay attention to their published graphs to see how much or how little they change the sound. Like with the 6XX If I were looking for replacements, I'd get their velour pads which don't seem to alter the stock sound.

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #44,593 of 48,562
Yeah I looked at the frequency responses they've published and the velour seem good.

I've actually seen a few posts where people claim they are better than both the stock pads, for the 1990 that is. Like you say for most headphones they are often not recommended, especially the Senn 6 series.

May 16, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #44,594 of 48,562
Oh that's good to hear, and it doesn't change the sound profile much? Trying to source them locally do you know which ones they are, there seems to be a wide range of materials? I'd prefer something that doesn't get too hot. I found these ones are they what you mean? https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/dekoni-audio-elite-velour-earpads-for-beyerdynamic-dt-series
If you look them up on Dekoni's site, you can see FR charts comparing the pads vs stock (I would assume B pads).

DT1990-ElHyb-1024x555.png

The Elite Hybrids keep the overall shape, but with a big bass boost which extends to 110 Hz, which may or may not be a little bloomy in the mid bass.
DT1990-ElVr-1024x555.png

These are what I have, and they keep overall to the shape, with some treble taming, esp in the 3-5KHz range, and a bit at that 8.3KHz peak. The tubes I have compensate nicely in that 3-5KHz range, and the AK4497 is a little forward in the mids, so they all mesh very well together. The dip in 10.5KHz - 11KHz will make the DT-1990 a little less airy. Mind you you could compensate with EQ, but to be honest, the sound signature is fine as is, and is more bent towards a consumer signature vs a studio one.

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #44,595 of 48,562
These are what I have, and they keep overall to the shape, with some treble taming, esp in the 3-5KHz range, and a bit at that 8.3KHz peak. The tubes I have compensate nicely in that 3-5KHz range, and the AK4497 is a little forward in the mids, so they all mesh very well together. The dip in 10.5KHz - 11KHz will make the DT-1990 a little less airy. Mind you you could compensate with EQ, but to be honest, the sound signature is fine as is, and is more bent towards a consumer signature vs a studio one.

The only odd thing is on the australian site I linked they list the depth at 28mm, yet on the Dekoni site the depth is at 22mm, which is the same as the stock pads if I'm not mistaken, which means they don't really create anymore space. Are you able to confirm this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back