Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 9, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #44,551 of 48,562
@illram @Chastity is the x3 worth considering? Would it power 702's? Cheaper than the g6 on amazon, though I'd not use half the inputs.

I need to order something but can't decide lol.

You guys are patient with me. 😁

I hear mixed reports of software for binaural/7.1 with a standard dac/amp. In that sense it would be a k3 or fulla for my budget I think.

The g6 seems to fit but I've seen reports of software issues and other issues people have had. I did look at the x3 but people seemed to suggest the g6 is better.

My use is gaming and headphones only. Current game outputs binaural but I'm also thinking future games in mind.

Just not sure what's best lol, so many things to think about.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #44,552 of 48,562
@illram @Chastity is the x3 worth considering? Would it power 702's? Cheaper than the g6 on amazon, though I'd not use half the inputs.

I need to order something but can't decide lol.

You guys are patient with me. 😁

I hear mixed reports of software for binaural/7.1 with a standard dac/amp. In that sense it would be a k3 or fulla for my budget I think.

The g6 seems to fit but I've seen reports of software issues and other issues people have had. I did look at the x3 but people seemed to suggest the g6 is better.

My use is gaming and headphones only. Current game outputs binaural but I'm also thinking future games in mind.

Just not sure what's best lol, so many things to think about.
1) Do you want just 7.1 Virtual, or do you also want to play with Super X-Fi?
2) Do you plan on using a dedicated amp?

If I was planning on using a dedicated amp, then the unit is being used just as a DAC and virtualizer. Then the X3 may be a better choice. If you want to use it as an AIO component, then the G6 is better for the stronger amp.

Personally, I'd do X3 + an amp, like an JDS Atom or Schiit Magni 3+ / Heresy. This way the amp allows for a wider selection of headphones.

May 10, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #44,553 of 48,562
Look at the X-Fi dongle if you don't need X3 connectivity. In fact I have read that the dongle actually sounds better, although that may be a firmware issue that will get fixed.

I have the dongle. I have used it with a 7XX in the past and it drives it fine. I used it with HD800S for a while and it drove those fine too. (I can only speak to gaming purposes). Plenty of power. I currently have it hooked up to my Koss E90 estat amp for my 950's just using the headphone out (it has no lineout, keep that in mind), and it's great.

If anyone has said SBX virtual surround sounds better than the X-Fi then either they didn't do the calibration properly or they may have listened to it a long time ago (when it was very reverby and tin can sounding, they fixed that). Its virtual surround is another tier because it is calibrated. It sounds very convincing.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #44,554 of 48,562
@Chastity @illram thanks for the replies.

Not sure on super xfi or sbx or other vss software. Haven't heard any so far.

Options seem to be :

K3 (£85)/fulla 3 (£105) plus software and maybe later added xfi dongle or x3.

Standalone options :

G6 (£130)

X3 (£109)/dongle (£99) lacks vol dial

I want something nice and simple that fits my needs and I can expand on later if needed. X3 hardware doesn't appear as good as the g6 though.

If I ever meet you guys after this I owe you many beers. My stream viewers are sick of me talking about this too. 😁

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #44,555 of 48,562
@Chastity @illram thanks for the replies.

Not sure on super xfi or sbx or other vss software. Haven't heard any so far.

Options seem to be :

K3 (£85)/fulla 3 (£105) plus software and maybe later added xfi dongle or x3.

Standalone options :

G6 (£130)

X3 (£109)/dongle (£99) lacks vol dial

I want something nice and simple that fits my needs and I can expand on later if needed. X3 hardware doesn't appear as good as the g6 though.

If I ever meet you guys after this I owe you many beers. My stream viewers are sick of me talking about this too. 😁
Dongle has volume buttons.

I have the G6 and the dongle and I can tell you the VSS overrides any sonic differences in quality of their amps, if there is any. Put another way it's the quality of the VSS you should be concentrating on first here. And for that, X-Fi wins vs the G6. G6 does have better connectivity though as it has a line out but personally my G6 is sitting unused on a shelf while my X-Fi gets used every day when gaming.

May 10, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #44,556 of 48,562
I guess I'm concerned that the dongle and/or x3 won't power the k702. Would be nice to get more of an idea on the exact differences other than the vss differences. Not saying I don't trust you.😁 Just wondering why the g6 is more expensive than the x3/dongle.

Is the x3 worth £10 more than the dongle? That's the difference in price atm.

Or you can sell me your g6. 🤣

May 10, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #44,558 of 48,562
I guess I'm concerned that the dongle and/or x3 won't power the k702. Would be nice to get more of an idea on the exact differences other than the vss differences. Not saying I don't trust you.😁 Just wondering why the g6 is more expensive than the x3/dongle.

Is the x3 worth £10 more than the dongle? That's the difference in price atm.

Or you can sell me your g6. 🤣
Yeah dongle has 3.9v output and it can get my 7XX to ear bleeding levels before I get to 50 on the Windows dial. I think the 7XX is similar to the 702 power wise (maybe the same? Too lazy to look it up). It is plenty for your cans.

If you turn off all processing it is a very clean sounding amp.

May 11, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #44,560 of 48,562
Ok @Chastity thanks for that. A question then, the x3 and the dongle are the same price in the UK, is the dongle the better choice if both cost the same? No info on the dac inside the x3 but for the dongle it's listed on the site.

Also you suggested the X3 and an amp? Is that required as @illram says the dongle powered his 702's fine.

Also where you do find the approved headphones list for super x-fi?

Now a friend is offering me a zen-dac he was given but he doesn't need. Is that a good dac/amp?

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #44,562 of 48,562
My setup for gaming/music/movie is about $1200

SMSL M300 MKII DAC, Asgard 3 amp, FX-Audio TUBE-01 tube buffer w/ GE JAN 5654W tubes, DT-1990 Pro, Dekoni Elite Velour pads for DT, Creative G6 (currently using a software virtualizer instead)
I'm just seeing this. You have confused me even more. Pre amps? Tubes? Does it work on ps4? I'm thinking about upgrading but I heard that the ps5 will have 3d audio. I don't mind spending money but I'm not sure if this would be a waste.

May 11, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #44,563 of 48,562
I'm just seeing this. You have confused me even more. Pre amps? Tubes? Does it work on ps4? I'm thinking about upgrading but I heard that the ps5 will have 3d audio. I don't mind spending money but I'm not sure if this would be a waste.
I wanted a better sounding system than just what the consumer soundcard offerings give. So I kept everything modular so I can grow my system over time. Can it work with a PS4? Sure, but I am looking for a replacement virtualizer since I've discovered the G6 is limited to 48KHz out on it's toslink. And the tube preamp really takes the system to a higher level, and I gain raise the gain on the Line-Out from my DAC to better match my amp.

The nice thing about this setup is that I can ignore things like DAC quality and amp ability of these USB devices, and simply focus on virtualizer options.

Ok @Chastity thanks for that. A question then, the x3 and the dongle are the same price in the UK, is the dongle the better choice if both cost the same? No info on the dac inside the x3 but for the dongle it's listed on the site.
The DAC on the X3 is an AK4456 iirc. As for any questions about the dongle, I cannot answer as I do not have one. Besides it's useless for my setup since I want a virtualizer that outputs a digital signal, so that I can use my better standalone DAC.

May 11, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #44,564 of 48,562
G6 currently uses Connect 2. Command will be released according to the schedule you listed. For software solutions, Windows Sonic API/apps work for games just fine. (like Dolby Access / DTS Headphone:X) For my 5.1 audio, I find Sonic Studio III doing the best mix. I'd be curious if someone would link me where to get the SoundBlaster MB softwares. Creative's site is a nightmare to navigate. HeSuVi is starting to look better to me, but I hate that app.

Not sure what's wrong with HeSuVi, been using it for a year or so without issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back