Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 8, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #44,536 of 48,562
A sound card plugged into the motherboard's PCI-E slot will have access to more power, like for driving headphones.
But if you prefer to go with a Creative Labs USB sound card (AE-5 or other), go for it, as it seems to have more of what your looking for anyway.
The newer AE-5 plus comes with DDL (Dolby Digital Live) and DTS-Connect software, which can encode (compress) up to 6 audio channels (5.1) of digital audio, allowing that audio to pass thru S/PDIF (optical/coaxial).
The compressed audio is maxed out at 24-bit/48K, which is still very practical for most uses, but the device receiving that encoded audio would also need DDL or DTS-Connect to decode the audio back to PCM.
Otherwise S/PDIF optical/coaxial will only pass 2-channels of un-compressed (PCM) digital audio, but that audio can be 24-bit/96K or 24-bit/192K.
If you connected a optical DAC/amp, for headphone use, you would only need the 2-channel to pass thru S/PDIF anyway.

Thanks @PurpleAngel. With the g6 if I am playing Hunt which outputs binaural do I set windows to 2.0 and then windows to 7.1 when I want to use sbx? Or just leave windows on 7.1 and turn sbx off when playing hunt?

May 8, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #44,538 of 48,562
Thanks @PurpleAngel. With the g6 if I am playing Hunt which outputs binaural do I set windows to 2.0 and then windows to 7.1 when I want to use sbx? Or just leave windows on 7.1 and turn sbx off when playing hunt?
You would want the source, Hunt, to output 6-channels (5.1).
Set the SB-G6 for taking in 6-channels.
And set the G6 for Headphone output.
Enable SBX.
But I normally do not use Creative sound cards, so my directions are somewhat generic.

May 8, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #44,540 of 48,562
You would want the source, Hunt, to output 6-channels (5.1).
Set the SB-G6 for taking in 6-channels.
And set the G6 for Headphone output.
Enable SBX.
But I normally do not use Creative sound cards, so my directions are somewhat generic.

Really? I thought as hunt outputs binaural sound I'd just put the g6 in direct mode and have Windows on 2.0 as its meant for stereo headphones. Shows how much I need the advice from you guys.

https://www.huntshowdown.com/news/binaural-audio-in-hunt-showdown

Is the audio info for the game.

Also @PurpleAngel, out of interest what is your setup for gaming? Do you use Virtual 7.1 of any kind?

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #44,541 of 48,562
Really? I thought as hunt outputs binaural sound I'd just put the g6 in direct mode and have Windows on 2.0 as its meant for stereo headphones. Shows how much I need the advice from you guys.
https://www.huntshowdown.com/news/binaural-audio-in-hunt-showdown
Is the audio info for the game.
Did not know Hunt itself processed the audio into headphone surround sound (or faked virtual surround sound)?
So yea, just set (for Hunt) the SB G6 for 2-channel input and 2-channel output (SBX disabled).
I'm not into FPS gaming, I play a 15 year old game called Command & Conquer Generals/Zero Hour.

May 8, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #44,542 of 48,562
Did not know Hunt itself processed the audio into headphone surround sound (or faked virtual surround sound)?
So yea, just set (for Hunt) the SB G6 for 2-channel input and 2-channel output (SBX disabled).
I'm not into FPS gaming, I play a 15 year old game called Command & Conquer Generals/Zero Hour.

Thanks, yeah I remember that game. 😁 For games that don't say what they output is there a way to find out? Or just simple research?

My friend argued I don't need virtual 7.1 as I play Hunt. He has 702's and a fulla 2 plus a go Xlr mini. I mean I'll play other games too in future, but part of my confusion has been whether to go down the creative route or just a good dac/amp and software. 2 kids means I can't throw loads of cash at this stage so trying to get the right match for me and my incoming 702's. I really appreciate everyone's patience here and help on this.

Now to find the g6 in stock I guess. 😁

May 9, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #44,545 of 48,562
G6 stock isn't easy to find atm.

I'm still considering a fulla, k3 or similar and using of your head or similar software. Damn my indecisive brain.

Watched some reviews and when I got to the g6 software bit I was like... "that sounds like a pain, how do I know what's right" lol.

Also has anyone used the "gamer" version of the Out of your head software?

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #44,547 of 48,562
Yes, and it is bad. Lots of spatial reverb. Kind of does what they claim, but lolwtf.

I'll keep an eye for some g6 stock then. Maybe even grab a b grade one if I'm lucky. Can you believe I had one in my basket and took too long? 😁

Some people saying the software the g6 runs on is being superceded by something new that won't support the g6?

*edit*

Found this for anyone else that comes across the info about the software.

**2d) SB Command Support**

**03/24**: We will be working toward adding support for Sound BlasterX G6 in SB Command. We are targeting to have the official support out by Sep 2020, and to have beta version ready for testing at around June 2020.

May 9, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #44,548 of 48,562
I'll keep an eye for some g6 stock then. Maybe even grab a b grade one if I'm lucky. Can you believe I had one in my basket and took too long? 😁

Some people saying the software the g6 runs on is being superceded by something new that won't support the g6?

*edit*

Found this for anyone else that comes across the info about the software.
G6 currently uses Connect 2. Command will be released according to the schedule you listed. For software solutions, Windows Sonic API/apps work for games just fine. (like Dolby Access / DTS Headphone:X) For my 5.1 audio, I find Sonic Studio III doing the best mix. I'd be curious if someone would link me where to get the SoundBlaster MB softwares. Creative's site is a nightmare to navigate. HeSuVi is starting to look better to me, but I hate that app.

May 9, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #44,549 of 48,562
Gamer preset sounded fine to me, personally, but this is a subjective thing. It's free to try for 7 days so no harm in giving it a shot to see how it sounds to you. There is reverb to the extent it is mimicking speakers in a room but I did not find it overly reverby. On the same token I have never found Windows Sonic or Dolby Atmos for headphones sufficient for accurate rear cues. When they do work they put rear audio right under the back of my head, like the sound is coming from the skin of the back of my neck. There is no space to it, and there are no front cues. It's not well defined. And I found DTS unusable due to it sounding like I was in a giant tin can, maybe they updated it?

Creative does not offer SBX for download to try; they have different versions of their virtual surround software, and there is one you can download and try but it is not the SBX they use on the G6 or X7 and it sounds terrible.

To my ears the best rear cues in a virtual surround solution you can get right now would be using the Creative Super X-Fi device. If you're on PC look into that?

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #44,550 of 48,562
Gamer preset sounded fine to me, personally, but this is a subjective thing. It's free to try for 7 days so no harm in giving it a shot to see how it sounds to you. There is reverb to the extent it is mimicking speakers in a room but I did not find it overly reverby. On the same token I have never found Windows Sonic or Dolby Atmos for headphones sufficient for accurate rear cues. When they do work they put rear audio right under the back of my head, like the sound is coming from the skin of the back of my neck. There is no space to it, and there are no front cues. It's not well defined. And I found DTS unusable due to it sounding like I was in a giant tin can, maybe they updated it?

Creative does not offer SBX for download to try; they have different versions of their virtual surround software, and there is one you can download and try but it is not the SBX they use on the G6 or X7 and it sounds terrible.

To my ears the best rear cues in a virtual surround solution you can get right now would be using the Creative Super X-Fi device. If you're on PC look into that?
If I knew the X3 supported 96KHz over toslink, I'd consider getting one of those, and use it as a virtualizer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back