Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 6, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #44,506 of 48,562
Yeah @mindbomb that's the only thing. I mean for now the main game I play outputs binaural stereo surround (Hunt Showdown), so I'd be turning processing off for that probably. Though do I want it for future games? I mean I can hear direction in that game now with crappy onboard sound and hyper x cloud 2's (not using usb card as i've a splitter setup so my boy can plug in and listen).

https://www.huntshowdown.com/news/binaural-audio-in-hunt-showdown

By the way if you enjoy sound in games, Hunt is amazing for it.

That's then raises the question, for future games, is virtual 7.1 needed? I guess it depends if the game is written for stereo sound.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #44,507 of 48,562
That's then raises the question, for future games, is virtual 7.1 needed?
The hunt is one exception in that it comes with binaural audio. In most other cases, to get a similar level of spatial quality, you would have to use surround sound from the game into a surround>binaural converter, which is the things like dolby headphone, sbx surround, sennheiser binaural rendering. This applies to several big titles now, like Fortnite, Apex Legends, and Valorant. It will be interesting to see how things shape up in the future, if more games will come with a binaural converter or if they will need to be provided by the end user.

Since the inception of this thread about a decade ago, we have all been praising what binaural audio can do for headphone gaming. However, it has been a controversial position, with people often alleging that traditional stereo on headphones with a good soundstage is somehow magically better than a binaural mix. The interesting thing about The Hunt is that they took away the choice from users and only provided a binaural mix, and people ended up really loving the audio in that game.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #44,508 of 48,562
Yeah the audio so something else. After a couple of weeks of playing your brain is tuned to it. You hear more sounds and that's with my hyper x. So looking forward to my new 702's with an an amp/dac.

Sounds like I need to get the g6. If I'm right for hunt I'd turn it to direct mode as the game handles the sound?

Although the g6 is out of stock, left it a few hours too late.

Notify form filled in.

May 6, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #44,509 of 48,562
After further testing, I've discovered a couple of limitations using the Creative G6 as a virtualizer for the SMSL:

1) SPDIF-Out is limited to 48KHz, despite being noted as supporting 24/96.

2) The resampling it does for the SPDIF-Out is mediocre at best, and darkens the audio, and affects tonality.

So the G6 is removed from my audio-out chain. I am still using it for mic duties, because my PC case is to far from where I sit. Fortunately, Sonic Studio III works great for the SMSL, and does a better job on my DVD-A sources for headphones than SBX did. (SS3 will work with the sources original bitdepth and sampling) I need to use a Windows Spatial Audio app for games that do not support forcing 7.1. Fortunately I have licenses for both Dolby Access and DTS Headphone:X. :beyersmile:

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #44,510 of 48,562
@Chastity I'm wondering if i get the g6 or just something like a fiio/schiit and use software for 7.1. What apps/software would i need? Dolby Atmos?

I mean i'll just be using headphone out for games.

My motherboard isn't on the list for sonic studio 3 so that's out.

I'm reading up on the software options now. Windows sonic, Dolby access or DTS sound unbound. What are those like? Sorry i'm new to this so trying to read up as well as ask you guys here.

I am crap at deciding but basically i think it's down to the following to go with my 702's :-
g6 (£130)
x3 (£109)

fiio k3 (£85) with software for VSS
schiit fula (£105) with software for VSS

Unless there are other amp suggestions. G6 price is about my limit right now as i've just had to buy a ton of other stuff.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #44,511 of 48,562
Hello guys,
So after much reading i'm going to buy the akg k702 for competitive fps (i have my home cinema for everything else) even though i worry that the headband will become a bit loose with time (though i have a big head so it might not be a problem ahah).
My motherboard is an asus maximus xi extreme, should i use the headset in stereo or use it with a virtual surround solution like the free hesuvi software ?
Considering i switch my devices (i use e-arc from my oled tv to my denon receiver and configured the hdmi output to dolby atmos) will i run into issues?

The impedance on the k702 is quite low compared to the dt990, i thought the higher the better ?
Thanks

May 7, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #44,512 of 48,562
HeSuVi is free, why don't you just try it and see for yourself?

May 7, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #44,513 of 48,562
I'm reading up on the software options now. Windows sonic, Dolby access or DTS sound unbound. What are those like? Sorry i'm new to this so trying to read up as well as ask you guys here.
The issue with the windows spatial sound stuff is that it doesn't work with all games. So that has to be checked on a case by case basis. You can do this by clicking on the volume icon, where it will tell you if the processing is on. https://imgur.com/a/4hLoHao

My motherboard is an asus maximus xi extreme, should i use the headset in stereo or use it with a virtual surround solution like the free hesuvi software ?

I don't see the advantage of using stereo. It just brings imaging problems because it just lumps everything left into the left speaker, and everything right into the right speaker. This approach causes problems by not differentiating front and back. Along with this, there can be issues with "dead zones" in stereo if it is assumed that people are using front speakers. Both these problems can be solved by using virtual surround sound. It is observable in this video comparing stereo to in-game virtual surround sound in pubg.

May 7, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #44,515 of 48,562
Hello guys,
So after much reading i'm going to buy the akg k702 for competitive fps (i have my home cinema for everything else) even though i worry that the headband will become a bit loose with time (though i have a big head so it might not be a problem ahah).
Considering i switch my devices (i use e-arc from my oled tv to my denon receiver and configured the hdmi output to dolby atmos) will i run into issues?

The impedance on the k702 is quite low compared to the dt990, i thought the higher the better ?
Thanks

I don't understand why people who are playing something like COD competitively don't just get a Realiser. It is a big advantage assuming of course that you have a high quality sound room to record in - way better than Dolby Headphone.

May 7, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #44,517 of 48,562
Probably as very few "competitive" players actually make enough money to spend $4k on it. :)

You should be able to pick up a used A8 for much less than this. :) Even in the few games which use Atmos I don't think it's much of an advantage.

Used Realiser + second hand HD800 would give anyone a massive advantage IF they have access to the right sound room to record in. I'm playing on a Realiser myself and I should note that there is a big difference between sound rooms... One is excellent but another is very bassy to the point of barely being any better than Dolby Headphone.

May 7, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #44,518 of 48,562
You should be able to pick up a used A8 for much less than this. :) Even in the few games which use Atmos I don't think it's much of an advantage.

Used Realiser + second hand HD800 would give anyone a massive advantage IF they have access to the right sound room to record in. I'm playing on a Realiser myself and I should note that there is a big difference between sound rooms... One is excellent but another is very bassy to the point of barely being any better than Dolby Headphone.

Nice, I'm not a competitive gamer, just a streamer of fps games. Bought some k702's and deciding on an amp. I dont have a huge budget right now, can change that later. For now I'm after something like a g6 or maybe fiio k3/schiit fula woth software for vss. Leaning to the g6.

May 7, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #44,519 of 48,562
Nice, I'm not a competitive gamer, just a streamer of fps games. Bought some k702's and deciding on an amp. I dont have a huge budget right now, can change that later. For now I'm after something like a g6 or maybe fiio k3/schiit fula woth software for vss. Leaning to the g6.

If you're streaming COD a Realiser would definitely help you get better gameplays (and hopefully more followers). I have to repeat again the massive caveat about getting a personal recording in a good sound room with accurate speakers... with the wrong sound room it might be a waste of money. I haven't even tried other people's recordings with gaming but they may not be any good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back