Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 21, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #26,626 of 48,578
Hello,
Newbie here, thank you for reading my post. I am interested in getting some high end gaming headphones to play the new space combat simulator Star Citizen, and am interested in getting the best over ear headphones for both
surround sound immersion and competition​
. I have read through Mad Lust Envy's reviews at the beginning of the thread and am primarily interested in the 
HD800's, the AKG 712's, the Alpha Dog headphones offered by MrSpeakers.com, and any other headphones which the community could recommend for me. Price is not an issue, I just want some recommendations for the best phones for the purposes listed above. I was also curious which amps you would recommend to go with any of these or other headphones you might recommend. I'm already dropping some serious coin on this game and the rig to play it, so I don't mind getting some expensive high end stuff, even if it's arguably over priced. ​

Also curious if anyone here has tried any of the headphones listed above in conjunction with the Oculus Rift, and how the combination worked for you. I was wondering if the headband for the Rift interferes at all with the "seal" of the over ears phones around your ear or anything like that. ​

Thank you again for reading and for any recommendations you could send my way!​

Oct 21, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #26,627 of 48,578
Game settings for the most part. I have an Asus Xonar DX feeding my Magni, but I haven't really toyed with the fancy settings. Probably something I should look into...

Aw man! Well let me know how it sounds once you do! I am just keeping an open mind if I have to get a PCIE DAC+amp for pc and external (with same amp) for ps4 or external DAC with amp for both
  Hello,
Newbie here, thank you for reading my post. I am interested in getting some high end gaming headphones to play the new space combat simulator Star Citizen, and am interested in getting the best over ear headphones for both
surround sound immersion and competition​
. I have read through Mad Lust Envy's reviews at the beginning of the thread and am primarily interested in the 
HD800's, the AKG 712's, the Alpha Dog headphones offered by MrSpeakers.com, and any other headphones which the community could recommend for me. Price is not an issue, I just want some recommendations for the best phones for the purposes listed above. I was also curious which amps you would recommend to go with any of these or other headphones you might recommend. I'm already dropping some serious coin on this game and the rig to play it, so I don't mind getting some expensive high end stuff, even if it's arguably over priced. ​

Also curious if anyone here has tried any of the headphones listed above in conjunction with the Oculus Rift, and how the combination worked for you. I was wondering if the headband for the Rift interferes at all with the "seal" of the over ears phones around your ear or anything like that. ​

Thank you again for reading and for any recommendations you could send my way!​

I can't actually help with this but I am super interested on what happens! I have always wanted to try out the HD800's but price is a problem for me. I am very curious about the DAC/AMP for this set up too!

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #26,628 of 48,578
Turtle beach has a new "elite" dts completely wireless unit coming out on the 4th. May be worth having just for the convenience factor.

Oct 22, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #26,630 of 48,578
Does the Koss CS100 headset have the same drivers as the KSC35/75/Portapro/etc?  Are any of their models with built in mics worth looking at?  A built in boom mic or a 3.5mm jack built in is pretty much mandatory for me or I'd just use my Grados.

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-Speech-Recognition-Computer-Headset/dp/B00005ML7Q/

Oct 22, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #26,631 of 48,578
  they definitely sound better than other gimmicky headsets....but as I said they hiss....

If I were you I would save some money and consider one the following :

PC360 (the PC363D comes with a surround soundcard)
MMX 300
ATH-AG1 OR ATH-ADG1

I really want wireless, it is 2014 and I will not use cables no matter how good headphones are + I need an amplifier LOL .I had MMX 300 and wasnt too happy, they were good though, I like much more the sound that comes out from my Altec Lancing MX5021 although  you cant really compare speakers and headphones but just to get an insight. Cables are so annoying... 

Oct 22, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #26,632 of 48,578
  Correct me if I am wrong (I am kinda learning all this myself), but DAC is a Digital to Analog Converter. Basically changes all the fancy pansy Binary 0's and 1's to an analog waveform. This waveform is nice and all but it is not "powerful" enough to pass the resistance, or impedance, of certain headphones which is why you need an amp. The amp helps drive that resistance of the drivers so that it can turn the waveform into ear-satisfying sound at an audible volume.

Got it now, thanks for the explanation. 

Now my question is, would the K712's benefit that much from an amp? I don't have them yet (they're on their way), but my fear is the first impression of them will be ruined by lacking power from the Astro Mixamp. I've only ever had the A40's and PC 360's, so I'm not a complete noob when it comes to recognizing good audio quality features, though at the same time I'm not completely confident with my ability to assess if another amp is worth it or not. I currently have the FiiO E09K in mind in case I ever want to easily add a DAC. Does anyone with these headphones (or good knowledge on reviews) and a good ear have any input? Other amp options would be appreciated as well.

Oct 22, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #26,633 of 48,578
still waiting on that PS4 Chat Cable (2.5mm to 3.5mm) - hope that finally resolves the woes on my PS4 + Mixamp 2013 + BoomPro + X1 issues
it does feel a little dumb though to have a cable running from the Mixamp to the DS4 Controller - it makes the controller... not wireless anymore

I really don't get why the mic becomes "too loud" when plugged to the Mixamp 
(I've tried a second set of Boompro, it's the same. second set of Mixamp, also the same)

---
sorry folks, you probably heard me complain about this so many times.

Oct 22, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #26,634 of 48,578
I really want wireless, it is 2014 and I will not use cables no matter how good headphones are + I need an amplifier LOL .I had MMX 300 and wasnt too happy, they were good though, I like much more the sound that comes out from my Altec Lancing MX5021 although  you cant really compare speakers and headphones but just to get an insight. Cables are so annoying... 

But they sound better and do less harm :rolleyes:

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #26,635 of 48,578
does anyone know much about the turtle beach tournament audio controller?

found this image of it and looks sweet, astro mixamp killer? http://blogs-images.forbes.com/jasonevangelho/files/2014/06/Elite_TAC_ProductPhoto_3000X3000-A1.jpg

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #26,636 of 48,578
I would buy 
  does anyone know much about the turtle beach tournament audio controller?

found this image of it and looks sweet, astro mixamp killer? http://blogs-images.forbes.com/jasonevangelho/files/2014/06/Elite_TAC_ProductPhoto_3000X3000-A1.jpg

I would be the first one in the line to buy it, if it has a nice dac/amp and is without hiss....

Oct 22, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #26,637 of 48,578
This vs. X7! I bet on pure SQ+amping the X7 will win. Now SBX vs. DTS HP? 

Oct 22, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #26,639 of 48,578
They are pretty different and the TAC is supposedly 300 Dollars. 

Oct 22, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #26,640 of 48,578
  Got it now, thanks for the explanation. 

Now my question is, would the K712's benefit that much from an amp? I don't have them yet (they're on their way), but my fear is the first impression of them will be ruined by lacking power from the Astro Mixamp. I've only ever had the A40's and PC 360's, so I'm not a complete noob when it comes to recognizing good audio quality features, though at the same time I'm not completely confident with my ability to assess if another amp is worth it or not. I currently have the FiiO E09K in mind in case I ever want to easily add a DAC. Does anyone with these headphones (or good knowledge on reviews) and a good ear have any input? Other amp options would be appreciated as well.

Just to be clear, the FiiO E09K is not a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) is just a headphone amplifier (all analog) with a few extra inputs and outputs.
You can dock a FiiO E07K or E17 to the E09K and the E09K can then take advantage of the E07K/E17's DAC feature.

You might read up and ask on this thread about what does a good job of driving the K712s.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/659251/the-akg-k712-pro-support-and-impressions-thread

A FiiO E11K headphone amplifier is only $60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back