Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 20, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #26,611 of 48,580
  There's some improvement yes...
But I preferred the 560 primarily cause of openness, a bit bigger stage and better sub-bass extension.
Still, 
popcorn.gif

I hope to have the 560 eventually. But that'd be a bit down the road. I'm expecting the 400i to serve me well until then.

Oct 20, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #26,612 of 48,580

I hope to have the 560 eventually. But that'd be a bit down the road. I'm expecting the 400i to serve me well until then.

Oh certainly, it is a very competent headphone on its own 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #26,613 of 48,580
Finally thanks to this guide and thread I've bought the AKG k612 headphones. I am really happy and satisfied with quality and sound.. But now I need to buy an amp for them, so, considering I have a Mixamp pro 2014, a 3,5 jack mic and a ps4

1.- How the hell can I wire all the parts without spending money on more devices and gimmicks to get all the sound throught the K612 and the mic working?

2.- I obviously know this thread is surround sound oriented, but thinking about a "B PLAN", which would be an high quality stereo setup for PS4? If I sell the Mixamp until something else is developed, for example a Modi/Magni would do a great job? USB OR OPTICAL? Where in the chain would be connected the mic?

Sorry if this questions have been already answered, but I haven't found them
Thanks to all

Just add Magni to the chain with 3.5mm to rca cable

Oct 21, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #26,617 of 48,580
Those kinds of headphones only fully work on PC unless specifically stated to work for consoles. By that, I mean that you won't get the surround sound features on anything but PC.

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #26,619 of 48,580
Hey guys, got a couple of questions I'm hoping I could get answered.

I just bought a pair of AKG K712 Pro's + ModMic to replace my half broken PC 360's. I've been using my PC 360's with a 2011 Mixamp with no problems (mostly with my laptop but also for voice chat on my 360 and Xbox One), but it seems like it would be advantageous to use an additional amp along with the Mixamp to get the most out of the K712's. If this is true, could I get a layman's terms explanation on the difference between a desktop amp and a DAC, and which one would better suit my setup (or both)? My confusion mainly comes from setup's such as the FiiO E09K + E17 and what I would need either one for in any situation that may arise. 

Thank you and sorry if a similar question has been asked before. 1700 pages is kind of daunting to search through.

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #26,620 of 48,580
  Hey guys, got a couple of questions I'm hoping I could get answered.

I just bought a pair of AKG K712 Pro's + ModMic to replace my half broken PC 360's. I've been using my PC 360's with a 2011 Mixamp with no problems (mostly with my laptop but also for voice chat on my 360 and Xbox One), but it seems like it would be advantageous to use an additional amp along with the Mixamp to get the most out of the K712's. If this is true, could I get a layman's terms explanation on the difference between a desktop amp and a DAC, and which one would better suit my setup (or both)? My confusion mainly comes from setup's such as the FiiO E09K + E17 and what I would need either one for in any situation that may arise. 

Thank you and sorry if a similar question has been asked before. 1700 pages is kind of daunting to search through.

Correct me if I am wrong (I am kinda learning all this myself), but DAC is a Digital to Analog Converter. Basically changes all the fancy pansy Binary 0's and 1's to an analog waveform. This waveform is nice and all but it is not "powerful" enough to pass the resistance, or impedance, of certain headphones which is why you need an amp. The amp helps drive that resistance of the drivers so that it can turn the waveform into ear-satisfying sound at an audible volume.

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #26,621 of 48,580
Correct me if I am wrong (I am kinda learning all this myself), but DAC is a Digital to Analog Converter. Basically changes all the fancy pansy Binary 0's and 1's to an analog waveform. This waveform is nice and all but it is not "powerful" enough to pass the resistance, or impedance, of certain headphones which is why you need an amp. The amp helps drive that resistance of the drivers so that it can turn the waveform into ear-satisfying sound at an audible volume.
You've got it. DACs convert to analog, and they can come in packages with amps, but they might not (and many people prefer keeping their analog bits separated from their digital ones for noise purposes).

And just for clarity sake, you ALWAYS have an amplifier of some sort. The amp is the cricuit that provides the power needed to drive your transducers. It CAN be integrated, as it is in your phone, but a separate, dedicated amp has more room for better components. You always have a DAC, too (assuming a digital source, like a video game), and the same "dedicated components is better" rule applies.

You'll have to ask someone else about where the mixamp falls, though. I don't have any experience with them, and I don't need one since most of my gaming is done on PC. I assume it handles the "mixing" of surround sound down to two channels (two ears, two transducers) so you get 3D audio effects.

Oct 21, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #26,622 of 48,580
You've got it. DACs convert to analog, and they can come in packages with amps, but they might not (and many people prefer keeping their analog bits separated from their digital ones for noise purposes).

And just for clarity sake, you ALWAYS have an amplifier of some sort. The amp is the cricuit that provides the power needed to drive your transducers. It CAN be integrated, as it is in your phone, but a separate, dedicated amp has more room for better components. You always have a DAC, too (assuming a digital source, like a video game), and the same "dedicated components is better" rule applies.

You'll have to ask someone else about where the mixamp falls, though. I don't have any experience with them, and I don't need one since most of my gaming is done on PC. I assume it handles the "mixing" of surround sound down to two channels (two ears, two transducers) so you get 3D audio effects.

Sweet! Thanks for the clarification! Question: Since you game on PC (I am an avid pc gamer too), what do you use for sound processing?

Oct 21, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #26,623 of 48,580
Those kinds of headphones only fully work on PC unless specifically stated to work for consoles. By that, I mean that you won't get the surround sound features on anything but PC.

Ok, what about the sound quality?
  I have the vengeance 1500, it is the wired version of 2000....it is hissy...

So you like how they sound?

Oct 21, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #26,624 of 48,580
they definitely sound better than other gimmicky headsets....but as I said they hiss....

If I were you I would save some money and consider one the following :

PC360 (the PC363D comes with a surround soundcard)
MMX 300
ATH-AG1 OR ATH-ADG1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back