Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 30, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #47,596 of 48,583
Already found the solution of sxfi through optic out, I have a g6 lying around with no use, so I output the sxfi through the 3
5 mm to the line in of the g6, it converts the analog to digital, the g6 has good dac chips, and it outputs through the optic out, with the added bonus of having an available equalizer to the g6, to add the bass I like for the sxfi, and then to my Bluetooth transmitor, for digital transmission all those cheap Amazon devices have good performance, problem is receiving analog sound and converting, finally I have sxfi digital, I highly doubt there's a better solution that this one.
🤦‍♀️ uhm.... no

Dec 30, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #47,598 of 48,583
I probably wouldn't do all that as you're adding several ADC and DAC processes. The less conversions the better. The purpose of utilizing the G6 optical out was to have kept the info digitally from the beginning to a better DAC. With your steps, you've already done the DAC process earlier, so you're not getting any benefit really.

The g6 is on direct mode, is an excellent analog to digital converter, I don't notice any delay in the sound

Dec 30, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #47,599 of 48,583
What I mean is that the SXFI amp already did the DAC conversion. Going ADC to then do another DAC conversion is not yielding any benefit. Think of it like trying to set an MP3 back to FLAC. No benefit, as it's already been processed down.

Dec 30, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #47,600 of 48,583
What I mean is that the SXFI amp already did the DAC conversion. Going ADC to then do another DAC conversion is not yielding any benefit. Think of it like trying to set an MP3 back to FLAC. No benefit, as it's already been processed down.
Issue is that with my Bluetooth transmitter with analog in, the sound is rubbish, in digital is perfect, so the benefit is having excellent quality Bluetooth transmition

Dec 30, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #47,601 of 48,583
Thank you! I very much appreciate the reply. After some thought and considerable research I've realized that the chat mix feature I'm after is a very odd duck indeed outside of gaming products and that any actual mixer, DAC or audio interface I purchased that would do the same would include a considerable amount I don't need. As such I'm focusing now at "gaming" DACs. The ones I'm narrowing it down to at present:

* EPOS/Sennheiser GSX 1000
* SteelSeries GameDAC
* Sound Blaster X4

Unless I'm missing something the SB X4 seems to be the most powerful in terms of driving headphones, compatibility with various levels of impendence, and in terms of features, not to mention the price point is relatively attractive. If anyone is able to help validate my exceptionally-amateur analysis that would be quite helpful.

So besides the question of which device to get (I'm still leaning towards the SB X4 over the GSX 1000) I need some help narrowing down the headphones, please. I very much appreciate the list provided at the start of this post to begin narrowing down what feels like an ocean of them, so big thanks to @Mad Lust Envy for the help there.

From there I still feel like I could use some help further refining things. I'm looking for headphones in the $150-300 range that strike a good balance between competitive clarity/positioning and fun, perhaps leaning ever-so-slightly towards the latter as I play things besides just shooters. Based on the ratings (Yes I saw the warning about comparisons, I can't help but use them as an initial metric!) it would seem the Fidelio X2, Sennheiser 6XX or Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 250ohm look like good starting spots but I'm absolutely open to suggestions. I like immersiveness so I was looking at closed-back headphones though I'm happy to entertain other ideas.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #47,602 of 48,583
Another headphone to consider are the Mackie MC250 (closed) MC350 (closed pro) or MC450 (open pro) They run about $100 and perform well above their price point. And they are easy to drive so they run on anything. Plus I understand the bass on them is almost planar level. (MC-350 / 450 are pro monitoring cans with leather and go for $150-200)

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #47,603 of 48,583
Another headphone to consider are the Mackie MC250 (closed) MC350 (closed pro) or MC450 (open pro) They run about $100 and perform well above their price point. And they are easy to drive so they run on anything. Plus I understand the bass on them is almost planar level. (MC-350 / 450 are pro monitoring cans with leather and go for $150-200)
Interesting, thank you! I appreciate the recommendation. Can you tell me more about how they work for gaming? Reviews I've read indicate the MC-350, at least, are extremely precise, detailed reference headphones. I'm not quite sure how that translates into gaming as while I know detail is important I understand soundstage and placement are equally of value.

Dec 31, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #47,604 of 48,583
Interesting, thank you! I appreciate the recommendation. Can you tell me more about how they work for gaming? Reviews I've read indicate the MC-350, at least, are extremely precise, detailed reference headphones. I'm not quite sure how that translates into gaming as while I know detail is important I understand soundstage and placement are equally of value.
They image well, have a natural soundstage, as opposed to HD-600 claustrophobia. Similar in performance to DT-1990 in these respects.

Dec 31, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #47,606 of 48,583
I'm either gonna continue on Yakuza: Like a Dragon, or start Doom Eternal.

Happy new year's everyone!

Jan 1, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #47,607 of 48,583
So besides the question of which device to get (I'm still leaning towards the SB X4 over the GSX 1000) I need some help narrowing down the headphones, please. I very much appreciate the list provided at the start of this post to begin narrowing down what feels like an ocean of them, so big thanks to @Mad Lust Envy for the help there.

From there I still feel like I could use some help further refining things. I'm looking for headphones in the $150-300 range that strike a good balance between competitive clarity/positioning and fun, perhaps leaning ever-so-slightly towards the latter as I play things besides just shooters. Based on the ratings (Yes I saw the warning about comparisons, I can't help but use them as an initial metric!) it would seem the Fidelio X2, Sennheiser 6XX or Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 250ohm look like good starting spots but I'm absolutely open to suggestions. I like immersiveness so I was looking at closed-back headphones though I'm happy to entertain other ideas.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Hi Folks, I'm still noodling over the potential choice of headphones to go with that SB X4 and I wanted to ask: From the prospective headphones I'm looking at now (DT990 Premium 250, Sennheiser 6XX, Fidelio X2) would there be a stellar leap in quality gained from going up to the $300-400 price level? Or would my better bet be to stay in the $150-300 range? I know Chastity kindly gave a recommendation for the Mackie 250/350, if anyone else also has suggestions to offer on my prospective picks or others then I'd sure appreciate the advice. With the huge variety of higher-end headphones out there I'll take as much experienced advice as I can get.

One addendum - A key reason why I'm moving to this setup (discrete amp + nice headphones) is that for the headphones I want to purchase from a company that will stand by their product for years, or at the very least buy something I can have repaired reasonably easily. I'm moving on from Steelseries simply because they don't do out-of-warranty repair and I now have to replace my $320 Arctis Pro Wireless (I'd rather not eBay a new headset that already has mileage on it).

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #47,608 of 48,583
Monoprice Monolith M1070C are still on sale for $299, 5 yr warranty, closed planars (I have the open version) Think of these as Audeze LCD-2C clones but without glued earcups. :)

Jan 2, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #47,609 of 48,583
Monoprice Monolith M1070C are still on sale for $299, 5 yr warranty, closed planars (I have the open version) Think of these as Audeze LCD-2C clones but without glued earcups. :)
Thanks, looks like the sale has ended. Yeah those look like pretty blatant clones.

I was looking hard at the AKG K712 Pro's based on the review in the guide; they sound from the description like they'd be just about right. The Amazon link, though, strikes me as fishy: all of the prices - even for new ones - are $150-175 cheaper than AKG's official page ($575) as well as the resellers AKG link to. All of the Amazon sellers look to be out of Japan and are stores that generally have a small number of reviews, albeit mostly good. Does anyone have experience buying these off Amazon?
EDIT: Looks the same for eBay: similarly priced stuff ($330-ish) is all from Japan.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #47,610 of 48,583
Thanks, looks like the sale has ended. Yeah those look like pretty blatant clones.

I was looking hard at the AKG K712 Pro's based on the review in the guide; they sound from the description like they'd be just about right. The Amazon link, though, strikes me as fishy: all of the prices - even for new ones - are $150-175 cheaper than AKG's official page ($575) as well as the resellers AKG link to. All of the Amazon sellers look to be out of Japan and are stores that generally have a small number of reviews, albeit mostly good. Does anyone have experience buying these off Amazon?
EDIT: Looks the same for eBay: similarly priced stuff ($330-ish) is all from Japan.
They are actually still on sale:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=43236

Users who are viewing this thread

Back