Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 29, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #47,581 of 48,583
Hijacking the thread for a quick question: I'm switching from a Creative G6 to a HEL2 because I strongly dislike creative's software.
Now, to soften the blow a bit, I'm selling my G6 locally ( Belgium ).
What would be a decent price? I've had no takers at €100, and at €75 someone offered me €60. Yet, on eBay I find second hard prices going from €100 all the way up to €230!
It's 7 months old, complete with warranty, all papers, all cables, barely used ( it was a backup ) in box.

What would you say is a fair price in this day and age? :)
Creative sells the refurbs for about 80-90

Dec 29, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #47,584 of 48,583
I'm looking to replace my Arctis Pro Wireless and be able to use any pair of headphones - and hopefully a very nice pair at that. The key capability I need to replace is mixing game and chat audio and doing it on the fly with dedicated hardware controls. I do have a PC sound card already (SB Z SE).

I know things like the Astro Mixamp TR or Sennheiser GSX 1000 will do it but am I correct in assuming I can accomplish the same for cheaper or with higher quality? Seems like a simple feature to spend $100-200 on when all I really want is a physical knob to turn.

EDIT: Is this just a matter of finding a USB DAC that presents two devices to Windows, one for communications and one for non-comms audio? I know that's how things like my Arctis Pro Wireless and the aforementioned Astro Mixamp do it. If so what's the key term I search for to identify these devices from a huge sea of others?

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #47,585 of 48,583
Perks of the job 👀

20211229_160626.jpg

Dec 29, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #47,587 of 48,583
Shhhh. :p

The LCD-5 sounds really like utter quality, and is obviously better, but I like the easygoing nature of the 2C. Maybe I just like darker headphones in general.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #47,588 of 48,583
I'm looking to replace my Arctis Pro Wireless and be able to use any pair of headphones - and hopefully a very nice pair at that. The key capability I need to replace is mixing game and chat audio and doing it on the fly with dedicated hardware controls. I do have a PC sound card already (SB Z SE).

I know things like the Astro Mixamp TR or Sennheiser GSX 1000 will do it but am I correct in assuming I can accomplish the same for cheaper or with higher quality? Seems like a simple feature to spend $100-200 on when all I really want is a physical knob to turn.

EDIT: Is this just a matter of finding a USB DAC that presents two devices to Windows, one for communications and one for non-comms audio? I know that's how things like my Arctis Pro Wireless and the aforementioned Astro Mixamp do it. If so what's the key term I search for to identify these devices from a huge sea of others?
I'm kind of new here so take what I say with a grain of salt, but there is the Sound Blaster G3. it is small and cheaper, I guess still has some features. its cable is short though. I have no idea how it sounds though.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #47,589 of 48,583
I'm kind of new here so take what I say with a grain of salt, but there is the Sound Blaster G3. it is small and cheaper, I guess still has some features. its cable is short though. I have no idea how it sounds though.
Thank you! I very much appreciate the reply. After some thought and considerable research I've realized that the chat mix feature I'm after is a very odd duck indeed outside of gaming products and that any actual mixer, DAC or audio interface I purchased that would do the same would include a considerable amount I don't need. As such I'm focusing now at "gaming" DACs. The ones I'm narrowing it down to at present:

* EPOS/Sennheiser GSX 1000
* SteelSeries GameDAC
* Sound Blaster X4

Unless I'm missing something the SB X4 seems to be the most powerful in terms of driving headphones, compatibility with various levels of impendence, and in terms of features, not to mention the price point is relatively attractive. If anyone is able to help validate my exceptionally-amateur analysis that would be quite helpful.

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #47,591 of 48,583
Thank you! I very much appreciate the reply. After some thought and considerable research I've realized that the chat mix feature I'm after is a very odd duck indeed outside of gaming products and that any actual mixer, DAC or audio interface I purchased that would do the same would include a considerable amount I don't need. As such I'm focusing now at "gaming" DACs. The ones I'm narrowing it down to at present:

* EPOS/Sennheiser GSX 1000
* SteelSeries GameDAC
* Sound Blaster X4

Unless I'm missing something the SB X4 seems to be the most powerful in terms of driving headphones, compatibility with various levels of impendence, and in terms of features, not to mention the price point is relatively attractive. If anyone is able to help validate my exceptionally-amateur analysis that would be quite helpful.

For console gaming, would ditch Sennheiser GSX 1000, the other two seems to be compatible with consoles, even though the X4 doesn't do acoustic effects, because it doesn't bring the DSP chip.

For your aim is pc gaming, some say surround effects from GSX 1000 are very good.

Dec 30, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #47,592 of 48,583
Any of you knows of a good analog bluetooth transmitter?
Probably any of those cheap Amazon ones would work well. Just get one with Apt-X LL (as long as your Headset supports Apt-X LL). And one with more inputs than just Aux. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Wireless-Headphone/dp/B0838YPSZT/

Without Apt-X LL, BT is currently too slow and delayed.

There are cheaper ones that are just analog. But I question using analog inputs on cheap devices, and you're adding an unnecessary an ADC (analog to digital conversion) step. Digital will just let it stay as is until your headset converts it to analog.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #47,593 of 48,583
For console gaming, would ditch Sennheiser GSX 1000, the other two seems to be compatible with consoles, even though the X4 doesn't do acoustic effects, because it doesn't bring the DSP chip.

For your aim is pc gaming, some say surround effects from GSX 1000 are very good.
Thanks! I actually run my console audio through my PC via optical in so everything comes out the PC in the end. Can you tell me what you mean by acoustic effects? And are you sure it doesn't have a DSP? It does seem to have their Super X-Fi gadget onboard.

Dec 30, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #47,594 of 48,583
Already found the solution of sxfi through optic out, I have a g6 lying around with no use, so I output the sxfi through the 3
5 mm to the line in of the g6, it converts the analog to digital, the g6 has good dac chips, and it outputs through the optic out, with the added bonus of having an available equalizer to the g6, to add the bass I like for the sxfi, and then to my Bluetooth transmitor, for digital transmission all those cheap Amazon devices have good performance, problem is receiving analog sound and converting, finally I have sxfi digital, I highly doubt there's a better solution that this one.

Dec 30, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #47,595 of 48,583
I probably wouldn't do all that as you're adding several ADC and DAC processes. The less conversions the better. The purpose of utilizing the G6 optical out was to have kept the info digitally from the beginning to a better DAC. With your steps, you've already done the DAC process earlier, so you're not getting any benefit really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back