Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 2, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #47,611 of 48,578
Hey guys! I own an Sennheiser HD 598 and a Sennheiser GSX 1000, which I use exclusively for gaming.

I use this HD 598 for at least 5 years and wanted to try something new, so I bought an Drop Sennheiser PC38X, even knowing that it won’t be a mindblowing upgrade.

Is there any external Soundcard/DAC/AMP that worth the upgrade coming from a GSX 1000 or should I just keep it?

Thanks!

Jan 2, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #47,613 of 48,578
Jan 2, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #47,614 of 48,578
Hey guys! I own an Sennheiser HD 598 and a Sennheiser GSX 1000, which I use exclusively for gaming.
I use this HD 598 for at least 5 years and wanted to try something new, so I bought an Drop Sennheiser PC38X, even knowing that it won’t be a mindblowing upgrade.
Is there any external Soundcard/DAC/AMP that worth the upgrade coming from a GSX 1000 or should I just keep it?
My two cents, for gaming, stick with the GSX1000 (but I'm not the gaming expert).

Jan 2, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #47,616 of 48,578
Monoprice Monolith M1070C are still on sale for $299, 5 yr warranty, closed planars (I have the open version) Think of these as Audeze LCD-2C clones but without glued earcups. :)
By the way do you recommend the open ones over closed? Or is it a moot point if only the closed are on sale? Also I assume the key difference is that the closed have more bass and better isolation at the cost of a reduced Soundstage?

Jan 2, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #47,617 of 48,578
Thanks, looks like the sale has ended. Yeah those look like pretty blatant clones.

I was looking hard at the AKG K712 Pro's based on the review in the guide; they sound from the description like they'd be just about right. The Amazon link, though, strikes me as fishy: all of the prices - even for new ones - are $150-175 cheaper than AKG's official page ($575) as well as the resellers AKG link to. All of the Amazon sellers look to be out of Japan and are stores that generally have a small number of reviews, albeit mostly good. Does anyone have experience buying these off Amazon?
EDIT: Looks the same for eBay: similarly priced stuff ($330-ish) is all from Japan.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=43236

Still on sale for $299

Jan 2, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #47,618 of 48,578
By the way do you recommend the open ones over closed? Or is it a moot point if only the closed are on sale? Also I assume the key difference is that the closed have more bass and better isolation at the cost of a reduced Soundstage?
Depends on the closed. Some don't suffer in loss of soundstage. They have a 45 day return option if you don't like them, so try them. :)

Jan 2, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #47,619 of 48,578
By the way, does anyone know a good place to try out some of these higher-end headphones in person? I'm trying to avoid ordering a bunch and returning most, I don't like doing that with real expensive stuff. I'm in ZIP 98029 (east of Seattle).

Depends on the closed. Some don't suffer in loss of soundstage. They have a 45 day return option if you don't like them, so try them. :)
I'm on the fence to be honest. In reading reviews I'm concerned about their reported weight and huge size. After researching I'm leaning towards open-back for their advantages.

And most of all I'm struggling to compare from others' impressions which headphones at my price point ($350-ish or less) are good for me. The struggle comes from reading awesome impressions of things in the sub-$200 range like Fidelio X2, AKG 702, DT990 Premium 250, or the HD6XX (which I hear conflicting reports on its suitability for gaming and narrow soundstage but unquestioned quality for general use. My buddy loves his HD600s for gaming).

What I REALLY could use help understanding is whether for my goals (balance of fun and competitive gaming, very slight lean toward fun) there is a quality difference to be had for $300-350 with something like the AKG 712 Pro, M1070, or something else in that range. I don't want to spend money for the sake of doing so but I will spend if it achieves a tangible difference in performance/quality that will last me a good 5-10+ years.

EDIT: by the way I don't want to forget to say thank you for the patient help. I know you @Chastity and others have been very helpful, especially @Mad Lust Envy and this whole guide. I don't want my indecision to sound like I don't value your advice, which is much appreciated. For myself this process is very difficult as I'm trying to make a personal, subjective decision based on others' subjective impressions combined with objective data. The huge variety of choices also complicates it for me.

Once I make a decision I'll look forward to posting back here to contribute my impressions for others.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #47,620 of 48,578
By the way, does anyone know a good place to try out some of these higher-end headphones in person? I'm trying to avoid ordering a bunch and returning most, I don't like doing that with real expensive stuff. I'm in ZIP 98029 (east of Seattle).

I'm on the fence to be honest. In reading reviews I'm concerned about their reported weight and huge size. After researching I'm leaning towards open-back for their advantages.

And most of all I'm struggling to compare from others' impressions which headphones at my price point ($350-ish or less) are good for me. The struggle comes from reading awesome impressions of things in the sub-$200 range like Fidelio X2, AKG 702, DT990 Premium 250, or the HD6XX (which I hear conflicting reports on its suitability for gaming and narrow soundstage but unquestioned quality for general use. My buddy loves his HD600s for gaming).

What I REALLY could use help understanding is whether for my goals (balance of fun and competitive gaming, very slight lean toward fun) there is a quality difference to be had for $300-350 with something like the AKG 712 Pro, M1070, or something else in that range. I don't want to spend money for the sake of doing so but I will spend if it achieves a tangible difference in performance/quality that will last me a good 5-10+ years.

EDIT: by the way I don't want to forget to say thank you for the patient help. I know you @Chastity and others have been very helpful, especially @Mad Lust Envy and this whole guide. I don't want my indecision to sound like I don't value your advice, which is much appreciated. For myself this process is very difficult as I'm trying to make a personal, subjective decision based on others' subjective impressions combined with objective data. The huge variety of choices also complicates it for me.

Once I make a decision I'll look forward to posting back here to contribute my impressions for others.
My issue with the Senns HD6xx series (I have the HD-580) is the imaging. I will get cues in game that sound like they are coming from the floor, when they're suppose to be far left / right. Otherwise they're fine, but I also consider Sennheisers HD6xx series to be the sandtraps in the audio landscape. There are better. :)

Jan 2, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #47,621 of 48,578
My issue with the Senns HD6xx series (I have the HD-580) is the imaging. I will get cues in game that sound like they are coming from the floor, when they're suppose to be far left / right. Otherwise they're fine, but I also consider Sennheisers HD6xx series to be the sandtraps in the audio landscape. There are better. :)
Yeah I keep reading that: very good but flawed for gaming comparatively.

Any thoughts on the others I've mentioned?

Jan 2, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #47,622 of 48,578
Yeah I keep reading that: very good but flawed for gaming comparatively.

Any thoughts on the others I've mentioned?
Forget the Fidelio, AKG or DT-990... anything in that price range you can do the HE-400se (planars) or the Mackie MC-350 (closed) or 450 (open), and the Mackies will drive on anything.

For the $300-400 segment, you have the Monoliths M1070 ($299 on sale, the M1070C are still on sale atm), the M1570 are $399 on sale (wholly recommend these, they are my current go-to), not a fan of the Sundara as I find them too chill to listen to. The ATH-R70X is a possibility at $349.

Jan 2, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #47,623 of 48,578
I'm looking to buy a Audeze LCD GX, it's really my dream headphone for gaming, as I tend to play RPG and story driven games, with music:)
The GX is a great, versatile set. Yes, I work for Audeze, but I recommended it long before that. It's a solid banger even if it was just a headphone. If you got the dough, the GX ain't gonna let you down.

Jan 2, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #47,624 of 48,578
Forget the Fidelio, AKG or DT-990... anything in that price range you can do the HE-400se (planars) or the Mackie MC-350 (closed) or 450 (open), and the Mackies will drive on anything.

For the $300-400 segment, you have the Monoliths M1070 ($299 on sale, the M1070C are still on sale atm), the M1570 are $399 on sale (wholly recommend these, they are my current go-to), not a fan of the Sundara as I find them too chill to listen to. The ATH-R70X is a possibility at $349.
Now look what you've done! I bit the bullet and ordered a cornucopia to try out. I now have pairs of HE-400se, MC-450, DT990 600 Premium on the way, and because you spoke so highly of them (not to mention the $200 off sale) I bit on the M1570's too. I'll make sure to share my findings. God help my credit card.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Jan 3, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #47,625 of 48,578
Now look what you've done! I bit the bullet and ordered a cornucopia to try out. I now have pairs of HE-400se, MC-450, DT990 600 Premium on the way, and because you spoke so highly of them (not to mention the $200 off sale) I bit on the M1570's too. I'll make sure to share my findings. God help my credit card.

Thanks again for your help and advice.
I don't remember the M1570 being on sale for $399 at the moment. I hope it was. :)

To honor your purchasing splurge:

11659239_thumb.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back