Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 23, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #47,566 of 48,578
Given any thought to using TWS buds?
They get uncomfortable after some time. Not really sure it would work.
Other than the Artics, there's the HyperX Flight S or the Astros. But the audio quality you get for the price it's just hard to justify. Any good cans a third of the price would sound way better, but without the convenience.

Dec 24, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #47,567 of 48,578
Hey all, been reading this thread for a while now. Decided to pick up a GC7, just got it yesterday and have been pretty impressed with the SXFI in Halo Infinite campaign and Days Gone. I've been using Dan Clark Aeon Closed RT with Peace EQ per Roladyzator's suggestions on the previous page. It sounds nice and crisp with good imaging.

I also tried a Sennheiser 560S borrowed from my brother, again with EQ per Roladyzator's suggestions. I could never get it to resolve clearly in sxfi mode however, certainly not to the degree the Aeon Closed planar does. The Sennheiser sounds grainy for lack of a better descriptor.

Not sure if my issue with the 560S is that all my headphones are planars. Maybe i just need to adjust to dynamics. I'm assuming some of you use SXFI with dynamics and it sounds good?

I'm curious what the difference is when using an officially supported (ie. it has a profile in the sxfi app) headphone though. Does anyone have a suggestion of one that sounds good with SXFI? My list is currently the K702, X2HR, DT 880, or HE400i. Any thoughts? i would prefer if this pair of headphones would work well for music listening as well as gaming.
Funny that you mention HD560S as I was discussing with a reddit user that he could not get his HD560S to sound right with SXFI. Though the user was concerned with frequency response being wrong while the surround effect was good.

Never heard any planar with SXFI. K702 with K701 sounds good to me after increasing 8 kHz and reducing 4 kHz using the in app EQ. K371 with Unknown Headphones profile require a cut in 31 Hz in addition to the above. Koss KSC75 surprisingly sounds good with UH profile after just adding 3 on the bass setting.

They all image differently using SXFI. K702 and KSC75 have somewhat diffuse soundstage for music and that gets exaggerated with SXFI. Everything is big and enveloping the listener.
K371 are very precise and for music I found their soundstage really good. Electronic tracks from Solar Fields or Shpongle are presented with excellent layering and depth. But with rock music they sound rather direct and close to your head, while K702 and to a lesser extent KSC75 seem to add some distance between you and the sound.

With SXFi and K371 the room sensation very precise and the same time I feel the acoustic space is smaller than KSC75 and K702. It's like the "sound bubble" surrounding you had a clear edge at the end with K371 while on K702 or KSC75 it would kind of disappear gradually.

From my other headphones, the Superlux HD681 Evo don't work well with SXFI and Superlux HD-668B are good. Would have to do some tests to compare as I haven't used them in some time now.

This could be some little aspects of each headphones's FR or perhaps psychological effect (open headphone doesn't cut me off from the room so I am more easily fooled that there is sound outside my head).

I don't think driver type or the price can be a predictor of SXFI effect quality, we just have to do trial and error I guess. Good to know the Aeon Closed are good:)

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #47,568 of 48,578
They get uncomfortable after some time. Not really sure it would work.
Other than the Artics, there's the HyperX Flight S or the Astros. But the audio quality you get for the price it's just hard to justify. Any good cans a third of the price would sound way better, but without the convenience.
If wired was ok, I would suggest the Mackie MC250/350/450 line. (closed/semi/open) About $100 but they perform better than that price point. Bass can rival some planars.

Dec 28, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #47,571 of 48,578
Anyone else notice that Redscape tends to hog up system resources? Seems to use quite a bit of memory. I don't think any of the other VSS solutions have such a large footprint
Then drop an email to the author, he responds timely. Showing 282MB used. I'll assume a lot of it is buffer.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #47,572 of 48,578
So im kind of disappointed. I got my GC7 and pc38x headset. I know some of you guys have way better setups, but this is my first dive into a better audio setup then onboard audio. And I'm not disappointed with my setup, it's amazing, but I've been playing call of duty vanguard, and it sounds trash. The game just sounds bad. I can't even really describe it. I know it's a different genre, but it's sad when farming Sim 22 sounds better then a game a way higher budget. I've tested a few more games, and they sound great.

Edit: I should clarify. Now that I'm hearing all of the detail it just doesn't sound good. when I plugged the headset into the motherboard it still sounded bad, like the audio quality was not as good. But with my upgraded setup its like extremely noticeable how bad it is.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #47,573 of 48,578
Does anyone here knows of a good Bluetooth transmitor for gc7, it has to have good analog transmission through 3.5mm, I have one which works wonders on optic, but analog has issues, like it mutes the sound, as I request inummerois times for creative to enable optic out to sxfi and until now no success.

Dec 28, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #47,574 of 48,578
Trying to find the time to write up a Koss KPH40 review.

In other news, just want a darn displayport to HDMI 2.1 4K/120hz dongle for my LG C9 Oled. Unfortunately it's the one year where 4K/120 works, but not with HDMI 2.0 devices like a 2080ti. The CX and C1 have 4:2:0 modes that would work with the 2080ti. Just my luck. I love my TV but damn I'm sad I picked the year before I should've to go OLED. Bought two different dongles, and neither function all too well. They overheat and stop working.

We'll, I'd be fine with a new graphics card, but GOOOOOOOD LUCK trying to find one these days. I'd take a 3070ti...at least.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #47,575 of 48,578
Well, my B&W P7's are dying...the right ear has developed a crackling like a bad driver. I emailed B&W support, and they told me they only replace headphones under warranty, they don't repair any headphones. So, that's annoying to have to trash a $400 pair of headphones.

That being said, I'm looking for a new pair now for gaming. I used the P7's with a modmic and thats been working well. For my source I use a Burson Conductor 3R with DTS:X vss plugin. I need them to be closed back unfortunately, so open back options are out.

I've been looking at the Beyer DT770 or DT1770's as options, another set of P7 off of ebay or something but am open to other good options that have a decent soundstage and great imaging as I play 95% FPS. I will occasionally use them for music also, but I have a set of Focal Elegia's that I use for music so music isn't a high priority for these.

I'd say my budget tops out around $500-$600ish, slightly more maybe if it was a great deal on some higher end cans.

Let's hear some ideas!

Dec 28, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #47,576 of 48,578
Well, my B&W P7's are dying...the right ear has developed a crackling like a bad driver. I emailed B&W support, and they told me they only replace headphones under warranty, they don't repair any headphones. So, that's annoying to have to trash a $400 pair of headphones.

That being said, I'm looking for a new pair now for gaming. I used the P7's with a modmic and thats been working well. For my source I use a Burson Conductor 3R with DTS:X vss plugin. I need them to be closed back unfortunately, so open back options are out.

I've been looking at the Beyer DT770 or DT1770's as options, another set of P7 off of ebay or something but am open to other good options that have a decent soundstage and great imaging as I play 95% FPS. I will occasionally use them for music also, but I have a set of Focal Elegia's that I use for music so music isn't a high priority for these.

I'd say my budget tops out around $500-$600ish, slightly more maybe if it was a great deal on some higher end cans.

Let's hear some ideas!
Kennerton Magni / Gjallahorns

On the budget side, Mackie MC250

Dec 28, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #47,577 of 48,578

Let's hear some ideas!

Takstar HF 580 planar headphones, with Sendyaudio AVIA ear pads, way under your budget.
https://www.amazon.com/TAKSTAR-Headphones-Noise-Cancelling-Cellphone-HF580/dp/B08CKJM4FN
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000714597987.html

Dec 29, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #47,578 of 48,578

Let's hear some ideas!
Why do you not use the Focal Elegia?

Dec 29, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #47,579 of 48,578
Hijacking the thread for a quick question: I'm switching from a Creative G6 to a HEL2 because I strongly dislike creative's software.
Now, to soften the blow a bit, I'm selling my G6 locally ( Belgium ).
What would be a decent price? I've had no takers at €100, and at €75 someone offered me €60. Yet, on eBay I find second hard prices going from €100 all the way up to €230!
It's 7 months old, complete with warranty, all papers, all cables, barely used ( it was a backup ) in box.

What would you say is a fair price in this day and age? :)

Dec 29, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #47,580 of 48,578
Why do you not use the Focal Elegia?

While they are great for music, I don't feel like they are quite right for gaming...the more "fun" v-shape of the P7s seems better for that task. Also, I use my elegias mostly at my work desk, so I'd rather have a 2nd pair so I'm not moving them back and forth. A bonus is having another set of cans to switch it up from when I want a change from the elegias.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back