Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 4, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #40,126 of 48,568
Yep, 640 Ohm at 100Hz afaik. I'd at least get a Valhalla 2 for the HD 800.

May 4, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #40,127 of 48,568
I've been using the X7 with my PS4 recently and I've left it running even when not in use, so I haven't run into the problem MLE is describing. Before I hooked it up, I did a firmware update (slow as hell) so it's current. The firmware is old, which shows Creative hasn't really looked at the X7 in some time. And their app doesn't ever connect to the device via BT, so that's completely useless for me. For my uses, the X7 serves no purpose other than creating a processed 2 channel signal that can be sent out to an external amp. For that purpose, it's a pretty expensive device. I'd love something more compact and less expensive that could serve that function equally well.

May 4, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #40,128 of 48,568
Something like the Creative G5 but actually working

May 4, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #40,130 of 48,568
I think I will end trying to plug a ModMic 5 directly on my motherboard, and buying an JDS Labs The Element and a Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO or Amiron Home or another headset that you think will be better for gaming (Soundstage, etc...) and it will end up for less than 1000$.
What do you think about it ?

May 4, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #40,131 of 48,568
I think I will end trying to plug a ModMic 5 directly on my motherboard, and buying an JDS Labs The Element and a Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO or Amiron Home or another headset that you think will be better for gaming (Soundstage, etc...) and it will end up for less than 1000$.
What do you think about it ?
I have a DT1990 and an Amiron. Thinking of selling both.

May 4, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #40,132 of 48,568
Does Massdrop still sell their mic? Seemed pretty decent for $25 I think. Velcro attachment versus magnetic. I have one, but I game so infrequently with a mic, I can't testify to quality versus other mics I have. I pretty much just use the PC37X at this point, but I also have an older Modmic (4 maybe?).

MLE, I have never had the issue you are having with your X7. I have no idea which firmware I'm on, but it's not the most recent. Don't have issues with connecting to Bluetooth either. Maybe leave it on all the time? It can't draw much power in idle, I wouldn't think anyway. That would drive me crazy! Check your PM, have a freebie upgrade for you, that I'm sure the community would like!

May 4, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #40,134 of 48,568
If you own both can you help decide which one will be the best for games ? And why do you want to sell them ?
The Amiron has much less clamping force than the DT1990. I sell them because I do not really need them. I do not use any of them for gaming. I game with Sennheiser Game One /GSP600/HD650/HD660S/HD800.

May 4, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #40,135 of 48,568
I didn't have the problem with the X7 until the latest firmware which is like over a year old or something.

I was thinking maybe it's something I'm doing, but then how the hell can I control just ONE channel's volume? I'd definitely have to go into the settings for that. It's annoying.

I turn off the X7 because I don't like the light when it's powered on. Then again its sleep mode is dim, so you guys may be right and I should leave it on.

May 4, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #40,137 of 48,568
I didn't have the problem with the X7 until the latest firmware which is like over a year old or something.

Firmware
Sound Blaster X7 Firmware Update for Windows
Filesize : 4.21 MB Download
icon_showdetail.gif
Show Details

Release date : 30 Apr 18
This download contains an updated firmware for Sound Blaster® X7. For more details, read the rest of this web release note.

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #40,138 of 48,568
I have never had many issues with the X7 but yeah it's UI is sort of clunky. I'll have to check out the newest firmware update from a week ago...

I feel like with Windows Sonic improving and Dolby Atmos for headphones also now available, the X7's value proposition is dropping. I think the next level is Realiser level personalized calibration and simulation, but cheaper, e.g. the dongle Creative exhibited a month or two ago that maps your ears.

I currently have an X7 and an E5 and honestly Windows Sonic from the Xbox to the E5 out to my Koss ESP950 is pretty dang good even compared to the X7. Could be game specific. It used to be terrible but MS has improved it alot.

May 5, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #40,139 of 48,568
I turn off the X7 because I don't like the light when it's powered on. Then again its sleep mode is dim, so you guys may be right and I should leave it on.
I absolutely love these things for reducing the brightness of lights: https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01BZBBITE/ I use them on pretty much every single LED in my bedroom and several in my living room.

Release date : 30 Apr 18
Whoa, it 's been so long since the last update, I did not expect that.

May 5, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #40,140 of 48,568
I have never had many issues with the X7 but yeah it's UI is sort of clunky. I'll have to check out the newest firmware update from a week ago...

I feel like with Windows Sonic improving and Dolby Atmos for headphones also now available, the X7's value proposition is dropping. I think the next level is Realiser level personalized calibration and simulation, but cheaper, e.g. the dongle Creative exhibited a month or two ago that maps your ears.

I currently have an X7 and an E5 and honestly Windows Sonic from the Xbox to the E5 out to my Koss ESP950 is pretty dang good even compared to the X7. Could be game specific. It used to be terrible but MS has improved it alot.

I have no faith in that new creative thing. Whenever I see a computer trying to convert an image to shapes, I think of the Apple Newton on the Simpsons. I think you can do personalization if you buy in ear microphones, which apparently are only like $100, it would just be a relatively involved process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back