Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 3, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #40,111 of 48,568
Well it sounds pretty darnn good for glorified stereo... at times I wish I’d kept the X7 for the SBX... maybe again in the future.

To whomever was posting above about the opamps in the X7, I found the Burson V5i op amps were a very noticeable upgrade. There was better separation, high frequencies were more clear and the bass seemed a bit more controlled.

These are a decent upgrade, but the Sparkos really destroy them. Better in every way, and it's immediately noticeable. Some may prefer their sound, but the Sparkos to me are just transparent. X7 with the Sparkos, will compete easily with a DAC/amp combo of similar cost. Not a cheap upgrade, but it is worth it.

Realizer supposedly does.

Am interested in a really good setup for my Xbox One X, and I have had all sort of turtle beaches, astros and etc. And am not pleased at all with how they sound. I want really great quality sound and want to feel like am in the game, on the high end spectrum that are not too expensive but also not too cheap, and how to set it up, so it can work with a modmic. I have read the list that was posted, but am also looking for any suggestions from people that know more than I do, and then I can take those suggestions and see which one I fancy best. Thank you for this thread, and all the information provided by other. Am new to this forum, and hoping to see what headsets and setup is best. Thank you.

The best? Smyth Research Realizer A16. It hasn't released yet, but very soon. There's a HUGE thread here. Current pricing is $2200 I believe. It does 3D audio by measuring the sound in your ears, and can mimic, pretty much any sound system in the world (you can record a room, and the A16 will work it's magic). There will be an exchange, where people can download different setups from other owners. It also does head tracking, and people who have demoed the A16 said the effect is unreal. That's the best, but it isn't cheap. I know me and a few others (Evshrug) here are waiting on ours. I'm sure a gaming A16 thread will pop up once it's in our hands. I'm buying it for gaming and movies, and apartment life doesn't suit my very loud listening habits. I'd be evicted with a surround setup (my old 5.1 system could hit 120db without distortion). When I sold my house, I sold my home theater gear. I miss it dearly and this will be even better! Way cheaper than buying a full Atmos setup (my stereo speakers were $3,000 almost 10 years ago). I can actually setup the A16 using my stereo speakers, to create an Atmos setup, as if I had an entire room full of them. I would never spend $20,000+ to build a system). Should be fun, but I'll be honest if I'm not happy. Because I bought early, I could sell and break even. I really doubt I'll need to.

I would say next is the Creative Sound Blaster X7, with Sparkos op amps. That's about $500 if you can grab the base model at $250 on sale (don't bother with the SE unless you plan on driving speakers regularly). Nice thing with the X7 is you can upgrade over time. Adding an external amp is easy, swapping op amps is easy. So you could add a OTL tube amp for high impedance headphones, and still use the SS amp in the X7 for everything else. Win, win! This is a good starting point, and really the only device I'd buy for console gaming. Astro Mixamp sucks, AX720 sucks, because they use low quality amps, that can't drive a good amount of headphones that many want to use here. Double amping introduces noise that is really hard to get past. Fine for a young person without much experience, but if you're serious, skip the entry level stuff and grab an X7.

I have all kinds of headphones. Honestly I really like the Sennheiser PC-37X. For $120 you get a super efficient headset that holds it's own. Perfect when I need chat. Half the time I just plug into the controller, as these are really that easy to drive (I listen a lot louder than most, and this setup is fine for me). I honestly haven't gamed much online with chat. Lost most of my old gaming buddies to life (stupid wives, children, jobs, etc, lol).

AKG K702 65ths (Massdrop K7XX is close) is a great headset for sound whoring. Just enough bass where it isn't overwhelming, clear highs, and a good soundstage. A good balance for competitive gaming. Not the most fun for single player. I used these for years and was really happy. Should pull them out for old times sake.

I love my Hifiman HE-X V2s, they just destroy anything else I have when it comes to overall sound. HUGE soundstage, really good bass and mids, and crystal clear. Bought mine used locally for $875 about a year and a half ago. They may be cheaper (I did get a good deal).

My one regret is buying too many cheaper headphones and not just going for it early on. So many side grades, not enough improvement. Try to hit a local meet and listen to some headphones. That's where I found the Hifiman HE-X V2, and I was able to listen to just about every headphone you could think of.

I can't comment too much on other options, but I will say that the Sennheiser x Massdrop PC37X is only a 50 Ω headset with good sensitivity, so doesn't need much in the amping department. It does reward good-resolving DACs though, and you wouldn't need a modmic because it's a headset with a really good microphone built-in. Sennheiser also has three models in the GSP line, I haven't personally tried them, but they're even lower impedance at 28 Ω.

This may help others (I know you personally probably know this). Impedance is important, as it will tell you what your amp can put out into a particular headphone. The FAR more important number is sensitivity. Here are two examples:

25ohm, 110db/mW

100ohm, 90 db/mW

Which will play louder with the same amp? Every halving of impedance doubles wattage. Great right! Well in reality, doubling of power equals a 3db increase in volume (really not much, and one reason I don't understand why 99% of people think huge power is needed for easy load headphones)

For the example above:

25 ohm, 110db

100ohm, 90db (halving resistance, 50ohm gains 3db). Halving again, 3db increase would total 96db versus the 110db of the 25 ohm load at the same power level.

It can work both ways. A higher resistance headphone can be more efficient than a lower ohm headphone. It's confusing. Speakers are simple. Almost all speakers are designed at an 8 ohm load, some are 4 ohm (which makes receiver and amp choices much harder, lowering the resistance increases heat (more current). Headphones require a fraction of the power (power numbers are 1/1000th of the speaker world). I also think higher impedance headphones were partially created to deal with how receivers powered their headphone jack. The step down process of the speaker amps supposedly had something to do with it. Basically high impedance cans worked great with AVRs, which were the main Headphone setup until Sony launched the Walkman in the 80s, and honestly headphones were a niche until the last 20 years or so, with extreme growth the past 10 or so years (thank you internet!)

Hopefully that helps the newer folks a little. It's all Ohm's law (V=I*R). Resistance goes up, current (I) drops. Voltage goes up, current drops. Current is what creates heat. Efficiency is very important, probably the most important, when choosing a headphone and figuring out amp requirements.

Another good thing to see visualized.
Let's say we have a 90db/mW headphone. First, this is already 5db above the safe listening limit, at ONE MILLIWATT!. Doubling of amplifier power, nets a 3 db gain.

90db/1mW
93db/2mW
96db/4mW
99db/8mW
102db/16mW
105db/32mW
108db/64mW
111db/128mW
114db/256mW
117db/512mW
120db/ 1,024mW (basically 1 Watt)
123db/ 2,048mW
126db/4,096mW
129db/8,192mW

You can buy some very nice amps for very little money, that can put out a clean 1 Watt of power into a broad range of impedances. Schiit Magni 3 for $99 will easily exceed what most people need. As you can see, it really doesn't take a lot of power to drive a 90db headphone, which in reality, is low for many headphones. Most are more efficient than that. Some aren't, and they're infamous for it.

May 3, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #40,112 of 48,568
I don't know if one really needs the realizer. If you have in ear microphones, than you can record your own hrtf from different speaker positions (either with an actual 7.1 system or you can use a single speaker and a swivel chair) and then just do the virtual surround in software in equalizer apo. Okay, so you lose the support for dolby atmos, and the head tracker, but it would be pretty damn good.

May 4, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #40,113 of 48,568
Can we expect an X7 successor from Creative? Kinda miss such a device for consoles now (to play at midnight) that I have more time for gaming. Don't wanna pay 300€ for this thing.
The G5 would have been awesome if it only supported consoles and didn't have CrapSBX.

May 4, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #40,114 of 48,568
Can we expect an X7 successor from Creative? Kinda miss such a device for consoles now (to play at midnight) that I have more time for gaming. Don't wanna pay 300€ for this thing.
The G5 would have been awesome if it only supported consoles and didn't have CrapSBX.
Mixamp connected to an external amp using IEMatch to get rid of hiss?

May 4, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #40,115 of 48,568
I have the Philips DHP device which is better than the Mixamp. It's moddable but a good mod with new psu, opamps, routing DHP to the lineout adds at least 200€+. Might as well get a X7 for it, enjoy SBX (which I like most) and have mic support on top of it (still have the BT dongle).

guess I'm cheap :[]

May 4, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #40,116 of 48,568
I have the Philips DHP device which is better than the Mixamp. It's moddable but a good mod with new psu, opamps, routing DHP to the lineout adds at least 200€+. Might as well get a X7 for it, enjoy SBX (which I like most) and have mic support on top of it (still have the BT dongle).

guess I'm cheap :[]
Used mixamp with iematch will be 1/3 the cost

May 4, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #40,117 of 48,568
which wired Mixamp was the last good one? IIRC the latest Mixamp has another (more reverby) DHP profile? Might be wrong.

May 4, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #40,118 of 48,568
which wired Mixamp was the last good one? IIRC the latest Mixamp has another (more reverby) DHP profile? Might be wrong.
2013 (the fully black one)

May 4, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #40,119 of 48,568
I dunno how many still own the X7 but it's still kind of a nightmare at times in terms of the software.

There will be times when I turn it on, and the headphone volume will be at 100%, and one depending on source, one side will be at 50% while the other is 100%.

So I have a routine where EVERY time I turn on the X7, I have to check the software to make sure everything is normal. I have blasted my ears off a couple of times. Thankfully it was with the He400 which can take a bit of abuse.

So yeah, I'm kinda over it in terms if somethiso purely controlled on the software level (even the volume knob).

Sennheiser sent me the GSX 1000 which even though it's tied to the windows volume control, I at least know where the volume is set when I turn it on, and there is no software nonsense. Everything is on the device, which makes it so much more easy. Too bad it's PC only.

I'm half considering selling the X7 and getting like another Magni, and whatever. Maybe go back to Audio-GD stuff, and getting another Mixamp-esque device for the virtual surround. Creative needs to get on the ball with the firmware/software updates. I won't get anything else from them until then.

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #40,120 of 48,568
I dunno how many still own the X7 but it's still kind of a nightmare at times in terms of the software.

There will be times when I turn it on, and the headphone volume will be at 100%, and one depending on source, one side will be at 50% while the other is 100%.

So I have a routine where EVERY time I turn on the X7, I have to check the software to make sure everything is normal. I have blasted my ears off a couple of times. Thankfully it was with the He400 which can take a bit of abuse.

So yeah, I'm kinda over it in terms if somethiso purely controlled on the software level (even the volume knob).

Sennheiser sent me the GSX 1000 which even though it's tied to the windows volume control, I at least know where the volume is set when I turn it on, and there is no software nonsense. Everything is on the device, which makes it so much more easy.

I'm half considering selling the X7 and getting like another Magni, and whatever. Maybe go back to Audio-GD stuff. Creative needs to get on the ball with the firmware/software updates.
Or setting it at %100 permanently and attaching another amp via line out

May 4, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #40,121 of 48,568
Or setting it at %100 permanently and attaching another amp via line out
That's the thing though, I would STILL need to go into the software and put the half volume changed back to 100%. I dunno what causes this, but it's random.

When I say this, I don't mean 100% of total amp volume, but 100% of whatever volume it's supposed to get from the amp at any time. Example: left channel at 50%, and right channel at 100%. So there is a driver imbalance.

I have to check this for EVERY attached source on the software. So usb, optical, line in, Bluetooth. I'll take an screenshot of this to show you next time.

Attaching an external amp wouldn't fix this. And in any case, that's a waste of a perfectly good amp in the X7. It's an update away from a fix. Guess I need to contact creative.

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #40,123 of 48,568
would a schiit magni uber 2 and sound blaster z drive the hd800s?
Don't want to judge but if you can afford hd800s then surely you can afford a better amp than magni 2

May 4, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #40,124 of 48,568
May 4, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #40,125 of 48,568
The only questionable aspect is the HD800S's large impedance spike where the Magni couldn't possibly account for and in those frequencies will sound starved for power? Not sure where the impedance spike is, but if it's anywhere near the bass, it can make it sound thinner than it should. IIRC, the HD800S doesn't have a flat impedance curve and can go up to almost 700ohms in specific frequencies.

Note: Judigng by Tyll's graph, it IS in the bass, so I have to question the validity of the Magni for the HD800S. I'd definitely pick something a bit more powerful and capable to get the best out of the HD800S, especially if you want fullness down low.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back