Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 27, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #40,081 of 48,562
I can't comment too much on other options, but I will say that the Sennheiser x Massdrop PC37X is only a 50 Ω headset with good sensitivity, so doesn't need much in the amping department. It does reward good-resolving DACs though, and you wouldn't need a modmic because it's a headset with a really good microphone built-in. Sennheiser also has three models in the GSP line, I haven't personally tried them, but they're even lower impedance at 28 Ω.

Thank you, I will check out the ones you have suggested.

Apr 28, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #40,086 of 48,562
Yeah, sorry I meant the Sennheiser hd 598 Sr.

They’re all great phones for gaming, the only I haven’t owned or heard is the SR.
If you want to listen a lot to music with them as well I find the 599 and beige 598 have a bit higher SQ.
I bought many of my Senns through Amazon with nice discounts although I must say the discounts seem to be much higher here on Amazon Germany and they fluctuate a lot over time.
If I was in the Market for a 598 I’d consider the 58X on MD as well for that price.

Apr 28, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #40,087 of 48,562
They’re all great phones for gaming, the only I haven’t owned or heard is the SR.
If you want to listen a lot to music with them as well I find the 599 and beige 598 have a bit higher SQ.
I bought many of my Senns through Amazon with nice discounts although I must say the discounts seem to be much higher here on Amazon Germany and they fluctuate a lot over time.
If I was in the Market for a 598 I’d consider the 58X on MD as well for that price.
Hi, thanks for your answer, I already purchased the Sennheiser hd 598 SR, I only want to know if they sound loud and clear enough if I plug them in the xbox controller, or do I need to buy an amp.

Apr 28, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #40,090 of 48,562
I've currently got a pair of AKG K702 65th Annies that have been my main drivers for years. I've abused them a little too much and they are pretty much falling apart. If I cock my head to the side or move a bit, it can lose sound in one of the drivers. I know... I'm a terrible person.

Either way, I'm looking for something that is a little more fun. More punch to the bass. More immersive sounding. I'm playing a lot of Elite Dangerous right now and I feel like with some more bass and looseness in the sound, I'd be sucked in a lot more. Positional audio isn't super important as I'm not really into competitive FPS's like I was when I got my first pair of Q701s, then upgrading to the K702 Annies.

From this guide, it looks like the Fidelio X2s or DT990 Pros may be right up my alley, possibly. Trying to stay under $500 (and ideally under $300-ish). Driving with a Schitt stack (Modi/Magni2s).

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Apr 28, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #40,091 of 48,562
I've currently got a pair of AKG K702 65th Annies that have been my main drivers for years. I've abused them a little too much and they are pretty much falling apart. If I cock my head to the side or move a bit, it can lose sound in one of the drivers. I know... I'm a terrible person.

Either way, I'm looking for something that is a little more fun. More punch to the bass. More immersive sounding. I'm playing a lot of Elite Dangerous right now and I feel like with some more bass and looseness in the sound, I'd be sucked in a lot more. Positional audio isn't super important as I'm not really into competitive FPS's like I was when I got my first pair of Q701s, then upgrading to the K702 Annies.

From this guide, it looks like the Fidelio X2s or DT990 Pros may be right up my alley, possibly. Trying to stay under $500 (and ideally under $300-ish). Driving with a Schitt stack (Modi/Magni2s).

Maybe Sennheiser HD 650? It has punchy bass and very realistic timbre and upfront, immersive presentation for all sounds

Apr 28, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #40,092 of 48,562
In my home right now:

Philips Fidelio X1's (Selling)
Audio-Technica ATH-AD1000X's
Sennheiser GSP 600's (Returning)
Schiit Stack (Returning)
Sennheiser GSX1000

I am a top 50 NA PUBG player (12th Season 4) and with all of this in my house, the GSX1000 with the Audio-Technica's is the hands-down BEST setup for gaming I have ever had. What a time to be alive. The Fidelio's are incredible, I just wanted to see if there was something a LITTLE better for FPS games and I found it. I have new pads on order for the Audio-Technica's because the stock ones are downright awful when compared to the Fidelio X1's. Can I deal with it? Sure, but not when you've had Fidelio pads on your head. I thought I would hate the "wings" on the Audio-Technica's...I love them. I love them because I don't feel them, just like I didn't feel anything on my head wearing the Fidelio's. When I get these pads in and on, I will have reached the top of the competitive gaming mountain. Couldn't be happier with my first ever Audio-Technica experience.

Minus all headphones, the GSX1000 is the best thing that's ever happened to PUBG specifically. It's incredible. That is all!

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #40,093 of 48,562

I had a similar experience when it came to headphones as well. I got tired of anazlyzing music and actually stopped listening to the headphones I had... I then realized that there were more signatures out there that were more engaging. I think a good one to try that would be more fun would be the HD600 or the HD650. They both should do very well with the amp/DAC your using since both headphones are on the warm side.

You also should have no problem driving either one of them!

Also, if you went that route and saved up for a tube amp you should be in Audio bliss. Mind you, both of those cans described are warmer and have more forgiving highs. If you went with the DT990 you should be ready for some serious highs (not sure how sensitive your ears are). Also, when you get a can like a dt990 you will have a more engaging experience but it might be to the point of fatiguing... So it truly just depends on what you ultimately want out of them.

In my home right now:

Philips Fidelio X1's (Selling)
Audio-Technica ATH-AD1000X's
Sennheiser GSP 600's (Returning)
Schiit Stack (Returning)
Sennheiser GSX1000

I am a top 50 NA PUBG player (12th Season 4) and with all of this in my house, the GSX1000 with the Audio-Technica's is the hands-down BEST setup for gaming I have ever had. What a time to be alive. The Fidelio's are incredible, I just wanted to see if there was something a LITTLE better for FPS games and I found it. I have new pads on order for the Audio-Technica's because the stock ones are downright awful when compared to the Fidelio X1's. Can I deal with it? Sure, but not when you've had Fidelio pads on your head. I thought I would hate the "wings" on the Audio-Technica's...I love them. I love them because I don't feel them, just like I didn't feel anything on my head wearing the Fidelio's. When I get these pads in and on, I will have reached the top of the competitive gaming mountain. Couldn't be happier with my first ever Audio-Technica experience.

Minus all headphones, the GSX1000 is the best thing that's ever happened to PUBG specifically. It's incredible. That is all!
I’m real stuck on PUBG right now! I love it.

I’m jealous that you get to use the GSX1000... I play on the Xbone and it’s not compatible. I have heard GREAT things about it and always wanted to try it with PUBG.

Enjoy your gaming and good job on your rank! Quite impressive...

May 1, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #40,094 of 48,562

The K702 are quite robust headphones. Maybe you just needon't a new cable? It's easily replacable so are the pads. It's for sure worth a try.

May 2, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #40,095 of 48,562
Koss Porta Pro and e10k here (also using it with ps4 just from controller).
Anything I should try? I've only ever used xonar's dg Dolby heaphone and it was good but destroyed the sound quality. Is Dolby Headphone still the best tech?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back