Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 3, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #40,096 of 48,562
Koss Porta Pro and e10k here (also using it with ps4 just from controller).
Anything I should try? I've only ever used xonar's dg Dolby heaphone and it was good but destroyed the sound quality. Is Dolby Headphone still the best tech?
Creative's SBX is my fave, in terms of giving the surround and not destroying the fidelity. Sennheiser's GSX is better than Dolby Headphone in retaining quality, though not as much as SBX to me. It falls in between. In terms of surround cues, all three are top notch, though SBX falls behind just a hint compared to DH and GSX.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #40,097 of 48,562
Hi,
I'm new to this website, I created a thread with my presentation and my questions here :
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/introduction-and-need-advice-for-my-gaming-setup.878779/

but now that I've seen this thread I think it could be better to post here.

My Custom IEM are dying and I would like to make the jump to a good headphone setup to game. I need to start from the very beginning has I've got absolutely no devices (Amp, DAC, etc...).

For the Microphone I'm thinking about buying the Modmic V5 and a Rode VXLR+ adapter as I would like to be able to plug both my futur headphone and the mic on the same interface (tell me if it's a good idea or not, I'm new) as I would like to have as few cable and device as possible, I like clean desk.

I need advice about what will be the best device and headphone I could get for a maximum of 1500$ (Modmic and adapter cost 130$ so I still got some cash left).
I mainly play competitive FPS so sound stage and sound positioning are my main concern.
I've heard good things about the DT1990 Pro, HD 660S and the HD 800S (I know it's more expensive, but perhaps I can be week enough to break my wallet).
I listen to a lot of music kinds so I'm not really looking for a particular type of sound (bassy, neutral, etc...).

So I need advice for a good headphone and a good way to plug both my Modmic in XLR and the headphone in a compact way so I can keep my desk as clean as possible.
I gladly pay a beer to the people that can help me find my dream :)

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #40,098 of 48,562
I don't like the combination of expensive headphones and strapping a Modmic onto it. Not familiar with all that stuff though as I just use a PC37X when playing with friends, which is actually the best headset I ever owned and actually a steal.

Don't people play with Yeti (Rohde etc..) Mic setups and never annoy people with it (especially streamers? I'd rather use such a setup than a Modmic and have my headphones free from any adapter or second cable etc.

As for headphones. Get a (used) HD800 (plenty of owners take care of their headphones very well, mostly you'd only need a new pair of earpads), put the SuperDupont inside and enjoy the best gaming headphone ever. Not sure how your interface responds to such a headphone though. You could save a few hundred bucks and spend it on a good amp.

A well driven HD 800 is unbeatable for gaming. Huge (and especially tall/grand) Soundstage, laserguided positioning :)D), clarity, details, magnificient bass until Audeze subbass levels (not a big loss).

EDIT: OH, I JUST REALIZED THE CURRENT MODMIC IS VERY DIFFERENT (OWNED A OLD ONE) AND EASY TO "ATTACH" WITH A CORRESPONDING ADAPTER BUT I STILL WOULDN'T DO IT.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #40,099 of 48,562
I don't like the combination of expensive headphones and strapping a Modmic onto it. Not familiar with all that stuff though as I just use a PC37X when playing with friends, which is actually the best headset I ever owned and actually a steal.

Don't people play with Yeti (Rohde etc..) Mic setups and never annoy people with it (especially streamers? I'd rather use such a setup than a Modmic and have my headphones free from any adapter or second cable etc.

As for headphones. Get a (used) HD800 (plenty of owners take care of their headphones very well, mostly you'd only need a new pair of earpads), put the SuperDupont inside and enjoy the best gaming headphone ever. Not sure how your interface responds to such a headphone though. You could save a few hundred bucks and spend it on a good amp.

A well driven HD 800 is unbeatable for gaming. Huge (and especially tall/grand) Soundstage, laserguided positioning :)D), clarity, details, magnificient bass until Audeze subbass levels (not a big loss).

EDIT: OH, I JUST REALIZED THE CURRENT MODMIC IS VERY DIFFERENT (OWNED A OLD ONE) AND EASY TO "ATTACH" WITH A CORRESPONDING ADAPTER BUT I STILL WOULDN'T DO IT.
You must think Dimitri is a heathen
maxresdefault.jpg

May 3, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #40,100 of 48,562
I don't trust his headphone reviews at all. However I respect where he is now as a huge youtuber. Wish MLE was there somewhere.

May 3, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #40,101 of 48,562
I don't trust his headphone reviews at all. However I respect where he is now as a huge youtuber. Wish MLE was there somewhere.
He's not an audio guy so his headphone reviews have very little value (plus, he powers HD800 using O2 amp)

May 3, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #40,102 of 48,562
I see. Very well then. :cat:

May 3, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #40,103 of 48,562

I'm a little bit afraid than a Yeti would record all the sound from my mechanical keyboard and I dont want to use a arm on my desk... Do you think it would be good if I put in on top of my screen ?
And with that you would buy something like a Schiit stack and an used HD 800 ?

Could be a solution, I agree.

You think a Modmic could damage an headphone because of the small magnet ?

May 3, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #40,104 of 48,562
Hi,
I'm new to this website, I created a thread with my presentation and my questions here :
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/introduction-and-need-advice-for-my-gaming-setup.878779/

but now that I've seen this thread I think it could be better to post here.

My Custom IEM are dying and I would like to make the jump to a good headphone setup to game. I need to start from the very beginning has I've got absolutely no devices (Amp, DAC, etc...).

For the Microphone I'm thinking about buying the Modmic V5 and a Rode VXLR+ adapter as I would like to be able to plug both my futur headphone and the mic on the same interface (tell me if it's a good idea or not, I'm new) as I would like to have as few cable and device as possible, I like clean desk.

I need advice about what will be the best device and headphone I could get for a maximum of 1500$ (Modmic and adapter cost 130$ so I still got some cash left).
I mainly play competitive FPS so sound stage and sound positioning are my main concern.
I've heard good things about the DT1990 Pro, HD 660S and the HD 800S (I know it's more expensive, but perhaps I can be week enough to break my wallet).
I listen to a lot of music kinds so I'm not really looking for a particular type of sound (bassy, neutral, etc...).

So I need advice for a good headphone and a good way to plug both my Modmic in XLR and the headphone in a compact way so I can keep my desk as clean as possible.
I gladly pay a beer to the people that can help me find my dream :)
For online gaming with voice over, I also prefer a good Sennheiser Headset. I have the Game One (open) and the GSP 600 (closed). I such sessions I do not listen too much into details, more on what my friends say. For solo I also use the HD800SD and it is as great as @Fegefeuer mentioned.

May 3, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #40,105 of 48,562
Never heard of this SuperDupont mod, it sound interesting as I can find some used HD 800 for 700$ in my area.
So now what do you think would be the best compact solution to drive it properly as I don't want to have too many things on my desk ?
I think I better stay with the Modmic than a Yeti, heard too much problem with keyboard sound.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #40,106 of 48,562
Never heard of this SuperDupont mod, it sound interesting as I can find some used HD 800 for 700$ in my area.
So now what do you think would be the best compact solution to drive it properly as I don't want to have too many things on my desk ?
Get a used Sennheiser HDVA 600 like I did. They drive the HD800 perfectly and then some more. Btw. I got both the HD800 and the HDVA 600 fro a HeadFier from Switzerland.

May 3, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #40,107 of 48,562
Get a used Sennheiser HDVA 600 like I did. They drive the HD800 perfectly and then some more. Btw. I got both the HD800 and the HDVA 600 fro a HeadFier from Switzerland.

Wouldn't it be better with an HDVA 800 so I can put the mic (right ?) and the headphone and directly connect it to my computer ? Problem is it's really expensive and I can't find an used one for a decent price...
I've heard that the Modmic as a lot of problem with Realtek soundcard so I would like to find a device that can be used as a soundcard for both the mic and headphone but I don't know if this kind of device exist as I'm a noob on the audio world.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #40,108 of 48,562
Wouldn't it be better with an HDVA 800 so I can put the mic (right ?) and the headphone and directly connect it to my computer ? Problem is it's really expensive and I can't find an used one for a decent price...
I've heard that the Modmic as a lot of problem with Realtek soundcard so I would like to find a device that can be used as a soundcard for both the mic and headphone.
The HDVD 800 has no mic input.

May 3, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #40,110 of 48,562
For online gaming with voice over, I also prefer a good Sennheiser Headset. I have the Game One (open) and the GSP 600 (closed). I such sessions I do not listen too much into details, more on what my friends say. For solo I also use the HD800SD and it is as great as @Fegefeuer mentioned.
Sennheiser's headsets usually have nice, clear microphones. I was playing with a friend last night (trying a new headset) and she said my voice sounded like she was "talking to tech support," which is not really what you want. She didn't make the same complaint when I was playing with the PC37X headset not long ago.

I'm probably one of the few weirdos who uses a pro mic with a PS4. Right now my console setup is Shure KSM8 < CEntrance MicPort Pro < PS4 > Creative X7 > Gilmore Lite MkII > Ether Flow. The people who use voice chat with me notice a difference in mic quality rather quickly when I change the setup. When they don't comment on the quality change, I generally assume it's close enough to be considered a good headset mic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back