Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 10, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #40,156 of 48,564
Yeah, I ran into that last night when I did the update. Thankfully I have a desktop PC at home, but I mostly use my MacBook.

I've gamed using the HD 800/HD 800 S, Ether Flow (the headphones I own), and the SR-009. I can't comment on the other STAX models for gaming, sorry.

From memory HD 800 gave me the largest soundstage and the excellent positional accuracy. My Ether Flow always gives me a highly immersive experience with a medium sized soundstage presentation. The SR-009 was an absolute beast for detail retrieval and pinpointing sounds, likely helped by the sheer speed of its electrostatic drivers.

My Creative BT-W2 arrived yesterday and setup was simple following @Yethal's instructions. I like how the PS4 Pro has a USB port on the rear, so the dongle's LED will be hidden behind the console. It took me a minute to figure out why I was getting no surround audio, but the PS4 switched to audio output via the dongle rather than optical. Once I switched that setting, everything seems to be working smoothly.

The X7 continues to impress with its versatility, but man there are just so many features on it I don't end up using.
Glad it's working for you man.

For CSGO sound options are: Headphones, speakers or 5.1 Sorround. Should i pick 5.1?
You think i shoud trade my SHP9500 for the 598se?

Thanks
Use 5.1 surround. HD598 are pretty amazing for gaming but they don't accept 3.5mm jack without an adapter so attaching a BoomPro is a bit of a hassle.

May 11, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #40,157 of 48,564
Thanks for the help guys. I changed for 5.1 and disable the 3D sound thing on audio options and it all worked 200%. Now i can say the gsx 1000 is working prety good.
Everyone say the HD598 is good (btw what´s the diference between the HD598 and the HD599?) but should i switch from the shp9500 to the HD598 or HD599 for gaming?
I´m happy with the shp9500 but i´m always happy to upgrade for better...if i have the budget!!

May 11, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #40,158 of 48,564
What 3D sound thing? On windows? Because since the GSX has its own, you definitely don't want any OTHER turned on.

I have never heard the SHP9500, but Sennheiser 5XX line are always a good bet.

May 11, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #40,159 of 48,564
What 3D sound thing? On windows? Because since the GSX has its own, you definitely don't want any OTHER turned on.

I have never heard the SHP9500, but Sennheiser 5XX line are always a good bet.

The 3D thing is an option on CSGO audio options that was turned on. I turned it off and set the audio to 5.1 and booom! Amazing sound after that!

May 12, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #40,160 of 48,564
Can someone help with my situation? I'm going to make it as simple and straight forward as possible:

I have:
- Laptop (UBS 3.0, 3,5mm, NO* Optical)
- PS4 Pro
- AD700X Headphones as recommended by this thread
- Triton 720 (broken headset, working decoder box)

I play FPS games:
- Fortnite (PC)
- Call of duty (PS4)

I want to be able to hear detailed directional audio (surround) and accurate positional distance. What do I need? Would a headset just be an easy solution?

May 13, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #40,161 of 48,564
Can someone help with my situation? I'm going to make it as simple and straight forward as possible:

I have:
- Laptop (UBS 3.0, 3,5mm, NO* Optical)
- PS4 Pro
- AD700X Headphones as recommended by this thread
- Triton 720 (broken headset, working decoder box)

I play FPS games:
- Fortnite (PC)
- Call of duty (PS4)

I want to be able to hear detailed directional audio (surround) and accurate positional distance. What do I need? Would a headset just be an easy solution?
Your headphones are perfect for the games you play.
If you want vss you could get the turtle beach dss which is on eBay for $10 (Sound quality wise it’s the same as the Astro mix amp which is what MLE uses). Don’t buy the mix amp tr because it has horrible sound quality compared to the older versions.

Creative g5 is also good but vss doesn’t work on ps4.

If you are rich then the Creative x7 is a great option.

The Mayflower arc has amazing sound quality but no vss.

May 13, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #40,162 of 48,564
He already has the AX720 decoder box. He can attach the AD700X to the puck on the AX720's cable. That puck separates and reveals two audio jacks. He has all he needs for the ps4.

For your laptop, buy something like the Asus Xonar U3 which is like $45 which is a usb device that has all you need for the AD700X. Dolby Headphone vss, decent enough amp for the easy to drive AD700X etc. It's a cheap and reliable product.

Make sure you download the drivers for it, change pc audio to 7.1, and make sure the software is on its exciter, higher power mode. Also when turning on Dolby Headphone use the DH2 for standard room size. I believe it defaults to DH3 which is really bad. JUST PAY ATTENTION to all you can do in the software. PC devices aren't just plug and play. You always have to mess with settings to get things working properly.

Btw, I don't use the Astro Mixamp. I haven't had one in years. I use the Creative X7. On the go for my gaming laptop, I still have the U3.

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #40,163 of 48,564
Your headphones are perfect for the games you play.
If you want vss you could get the turtle beach dss which is on eBay for $10 (Sound quality wise it’s the same as the Astro mix amp which is what MLE uses). Don’t buy the mix amp tr because it has horrible sound quality compared to the older versions.

Creative g5 is also good but vss doesn’t work on ps4.

If you are rich then the Creative x7 is a great option.

The Mayflower arc has amazing sound quality but no vss.

Thank you for the info!

I am just looking for all in one solution so I don't have multiple devices for different platforms.

I'm still confused with VSS and soundstage/positional. The AD700X definitely allows me to hear around me on my laptop soundcard but I feel like it can do more. For example, if someone is walking in front of me versus behind me, it sounds the exact same. If someone is one floor up or down from where I am, I can't tell which floor their on. Also, and this is something that bugs me a lot, when someone walks behind me, the audio almost cuts out from left and right for a very short time but still rather annoying. Another instance is distance from where I am versus where someone else is is so unclear. and questional.

The mentioned above I've actually done extensive research on but still so confused. I wish their was just a general device that majority just use LOL.

May 13, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #40,164 of 48,564
He already has the AX720 decoder box. He can attach the AD700X to the puck on the AX720's cable. That puck separates and reveals two audio jacks. Not sure how many times I gotta repeat this. He has all he needs.

So I've gone ahead and tried that with optical into the ps4 from the decoder but I still heard only stereo audio barely any directional audio in comparison to my audio on my laptop through just 3.5mm. Also I've read your first post (of course lol) and tried that decoder the second I got the AD700X, and i gotta say I wasn't impressed at all. My Tritons sounded better on my PS4 in terms of directional audio than the Ad700X, of course quality of audio goes to Ad700x.

I know that the X7 is expensive (almost $500 CAD) but honestly if this is a end all fix all solution then I don't care and get it. I purchase for quality and if it's their, then my purchase becomes an investment. I did notice I can use it for its optical connection for my PS4 and then USB for my laptop. A lot of extra bells and whistles I don't see my self using.

I guess my question is, will this actually make a difference for me large enough to spend that kind of money?

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #40,165 of 48,564
So I've gone ahead and tried that with optical into the ps4 from the decoder but I still heard only stereo audio barely any directional audio in comparison to my audio on my laptop through just 3.5mm. Also I've read your first post (of course lol) and tried that decoder the second I got the AD700X, and i gotta say I wasn't impressed at all. My Tritons sounded better on my PS4 in terms of directional audio than the Ad700X, of course quality of audio goes to Ad700x.
Here’s my setup:

-Sennheiser hd 579
-turtle beach dss (I use this with my ps4 only)
-syba sonic usb dac/amp (mic input for ps4, sound card for pc)
-Razer Surround Pro

I’ve been pretty happy with this setup and it’s very affordable.

May 13, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #40,166 of 48,564
Is the PS4 set to optical digital - Dolby Digital as the main audio source? Because if not, every other input only gets pcm stereo which you do not want.

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #40,167 of 48,564
And again, EVERY GAME YOU PLAY must be set to something like home theater, NOT SURROUND HEADPHONES OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT.

May 13, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #40,168 of 48,564
Here’s my setup:

-Sennheiser hd 579
-turtle beach dss (I use this with my ps4 only)
-syba sonic usb dac/amp (mic input for ps4, sound card for pc)
-Razer Surround Pro

I’ve been pretty happy with this setup and it’s very affordable.

That's the other thing that's confusing which is software to "adjust" directional audio. In another thread I was recommended this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/hesuvi/?source=typ_redirect

But I scanned it on virustotal and some returned trojans although it could be false positive I don't know.

May 13, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #40,169 of 48,564
Is the PS4 set to optical digital - Dolby Digital as the main audio source? Because if not, every other input only gets pcm stereo which you do not want.

Yes my PS4 is set to optical since I purchased it.

And again, EVERY GAME YOU PLAY must be set to something like home theater, NOT SURROUND HEADPHONES OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT.

Fortnite doesn't have audio options to adjust other than controls for music, effects, etc. On my PC also nothing adjusted or tweaked audio related.

Cod is on PS4 so other than optical connection through the settings, I have not touched anything else audio related.

May 13, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #40,170 of 48,564
That's the other thing that's confusing which is software to "adjust" directional audio. In another thread I was recommended this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/hesuvi/?source=typ_redirect

But I scanned it on virustotal and some returned trojans although it could be false positive I don't know.
It’s really up to you. If you want to play it safe then spend $20 on the Razer software. Otherwise you could risk it and try that other thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back