[LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones.
Jan 16, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #301 of 447
Stupid mobile page is breaking.

You see that's it, you don't like the overly analytical sflo I'd I had to hazard an educated guess. With the iPod that won't be the case, so it probably won't work.

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #302 of 447
Well the result was more pleasant than my NFB5.2 to my ears (or it might just be different), so go figure :) Plus everyone's sweet point is different, so maybe if peeps are finding the Denon's too bright, they can look into a warm amp, maybe the E11 or Matrix I don't know.

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #303 of 447
Quote:
Well the result was more pleasant than my NFB5.2 to my ears (or it might just be different), so go figure :) Plus everyone's sweet point is different, so maybe if peeps are finding the Denon's too bright, they can look into a warm amp, maybe the E11 or Matrix I don't know.

What ever flips your waffles and turns your nipples. :)

But for rule of thumb, stick to my guide. But with your combo its just a clear indication that there are exceptions, and how important the source is, which I have stated previously.

As for DACs being included - I'll think about it.

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #304 of 447
Quote:
As for DACs being included - I'll think about it.

Aww yeah! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #306 of 447
Quote:
Awaiting anyone who has tried the Schiit Modi/Magni combo with the D7000's before I take the plunge on the D100 MKII.

Great thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/643368/schiit-modi-and-magni-comparison-to-bifrost-and-asgard

that actually sounds interesting, I wouldn't expect it to compete with the D100, that is just a bit too much, considering the Bifrost/Asgard combo competes with the D100 (trading blows)

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #307 of 447
Reports seem to indicate the small Schit sounding a bit bright, but there are also reports saying they fair well with the big Schit.

Schits for ears~

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #308 of 447
Quote:
Reports seem to indicate the small Schit sounding a bit bright, but there are also reports saying they fair well with the big Schit.

Schits for ears~

mmm adding brightness on the already bright denons = bad

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #309 of 447
might have to disclaim the fact that i've not heard any schit gears too, just in case it evolves into a battlefield

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #310 of 447
Quote:
might have to disclaim the fact that i've not heard any schit gears too, just in case it evolves into a battlefield

I don't like the brand after how they handled the Asgard incident. But they do make bang for buck gear. 

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #311 of 447
Just like to report that the Denon D7000 sounded very good with my Centrance DACmini with 1 ohm option. The Bass is very well controlled and the vocal and guitar (MID) and cymbal crash (High) sounded very nice (Based on the music I was listening).

I will try to do a comparison with the DACport standard output of 10 ohm and see if I can notice a difference.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #312 of 447
Holy crap.  You weren't kidding when you said that the D7000's would benefit more from a quality DAC.  I've been listening to them out of a Fiio E17 via USB from my laptop for the past few days and bought a y-connector from Radio Shack today to connect to my Cambridge Audio Azur 840C and bypass the E17's DAC, utilizing only the amp section via AUX.  The D7000's came even more alive than before.  Everything was improved, like lifting a veil (cliche I know).  Soundstage was more holographic, more inner detail, tighter bass, more impact, WAY more instrument separation, micro-dynamics, and an overall more musical and human feel to the music, making it even easier to lose yourself in the music....something you can just feel; hard to explain in words. 

When I went back to the USB connection, utilizing the E17's DAC, it sounded boring by comparison.

Now to drop the hammer. :)

Jan 20, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #313 of 447
I'm glad you enjoy the dacport, could you compare it to any other products?
Just like to report that the Denon D7000 sounded very good with my Centrance DACmini with 1 ohm option. The Bass is very well controlled and the vocal and guitar (MID) and cymbal crash (High) sounded very nice (Based on the music I was listening).

I will try to do a comparison with the DACport standard output of 10 ohm and see if I can notice a difference.

Holy crap.  You weren't kidding when you said that the D7000's would benefit more from a quality DAC.  I've been listening to them out of a Fiio E17 via USB from my laptop for the past few days and bought a y-connector from Radio Shack today to connect to my Cambridge Audio Azur 840C and bypass the E17's DAC, utilizing only the amp section via AUX.  The D7000's came even more alive than before.  Everything was improved, like lifting a veil (cliche I know).  Soundstage was more holographic, more inner detail, tighter bass, more impact, WAY more instrument separation, micro-dynamics, and an overall more musical and human feel to the music, making it even easier to lose yourself in the music....something you can just feel; hard to explain in words. 

When I went back to the USB connection, utilizing the E17's DAC, it sounded boring by comparison.

Now to drop the hammer. :)

Jan 20, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #314 of 447
I'm glad your eyes were opened. Haha

Now get an uncoloured high current amp and see how that combination sounds.

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #315 of 447
So right now I'm looking for a desktop DAC + amp (or combo) for ~$300. (400 would be my maximum, but the improvement would have to be pretty noticeable)

The DAC has to have at least usb, and I need these to be a good match with a D5k.

Was hoping some of you with a lot more knowledge than me would have a recommendation.

Thanks a lot, much obliged !

EDIT: Just saw a Fostex HP-A3, any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back