[LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones.
Jan 6, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #286 of 447

Originally Posted by SnufsHeadphone 

Which portable amp would be able to properly drive a D5000? I'm currently looking at the E17, but haven't really looked further & thought I might make some use of the expertise of you guys :wink:
Budget would be about 150$

Originally Posted by Fearless1 

The O2 is great with the D5ks, I like it much more then the E17 with them. I am not a big O2 fan, but it makes the D5k sound clean and tight.

I currently solely use an iPod Touch 4G 32GB as source / dac / amp. But seeing as I recently bought an absolutely amazing Denon D5000,
which portable amp should I buy? I've got about 150~200$ to spend.

Thanks in advance :DD

Edit:

Quote:
This thread needs to evolve into a: 

Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones (and also DAC's).

thread.

What about:

Amp ( + combo ) recommendations for Fostex / Denon headphones :wink:

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #287 of 447
Is the Schiit Asgard amp better for the D7000's than the Yulong D100's amp section?  Is the D100's DAC better than the Cambridge Audio 840C's DAC?

The reason I ask is that I just purchased a D7000.  I own an E17 that I utilize playing through my laptop for now.  My main system is downstairs in which I have the 840C as my CDP which I can utilize as a DAC and use the Asgard as my HPA.  Or I can get a D100 and utilize that through my laptop upstairs rather than my E17 but then not have a HPA down with my main system.  Or, just buy both and have the best of both worlds.. LOL

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #288 of 447
Quote:
Just made the payment for a second hand Yulong D100 ( 315 euro ) It should be on it's way by next week from Germany, I live in Norway so it should be here by mid-January. I had an E17 that I sold off to afford this so I will make a comparison from what I remember of it against the Yulong. I really hope it will take my D5K to new levels! From what I've read it will compared to the E17.

Any updates yet?

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #289 of 447
I'm surprise that the Centrance products as not been listed much here ?? I own both the DACport & DACmini w/1 ohm option and remember my D5000 to improve with the DACmini. I sold the D5K because of their sound signature and now waiting for my D7000. I'm hoping for a good synergy with the mini.

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #290 of 447
SO, say I wanted the best DAC/AMP combo to pair with my D7000's under say $750...Would I be best served with the Yulong D100, another DAC/AMP or separate amp & dac?

I already have the Azur 840C which I can use as a DAC and can spend the entire budget on an amp but then I would only be able to utilize that downstairs where my main 2-Channel system is.

Opinions?

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #291 of 447
BACK FROM HOLIDAY

Quote:
SO, say I wanted the best DAC/AMP combo to pair with my D7000's under say $750...Would I be best served with the Yulong D100, another DAC/AMP or separate amp & dac?

I already have the Azur 840C which I can use as a DAC and can spend the entire budget on an amp but then I would only be able to utilize that downstairs where my main 2-Channel system is.

Opinions?

For that price -
  1. Yulong D100
  2. Yulong D100 and Schiit Asguard
  3. Schiit Bifrost and Schiit Asguard
  4. or a suitable DAC+amp unit from AudioGD.

I'm sceptical of the upgrade the Schiit Asguard has over the D100, I would say these options are on par. It depends on your preferences.

Sounds to me like you want a second system anyway. 

Quote:
I'm surprise that the Centrance products as not been listed much here ?? I own both the DACport & DACmini w/1 ohm option and remember my D5000 to improve with the DACmini. I sold the D5K because of their sound signature and now waiting for my D7000. I'm hoping for a good synergy with the mini.

Well when you get the D7000 and get used to it, if you could compare the Centrance to some other products - I can deliberate. So far not enough feedback

Quote:
Is the Schiit Asgard amp better for the D7000's than the Yulong D100's amp section?  Is the D100's DAC better than the Cambridge Audio 840C's DAC?

The reason I ask is that I just purchased a D7000.  I own an E17 that I utilize playing through my laptop for now.  My main system is downstairs in which I have the 840C as my CDP which I can utilize as a DAC and use the Asgard as my HPA.  Or I can get a D100 and utilize that through my laptop upstairs rather than my E17 but then not have a HPA down with my main system.  Or, just buy both and have the best of both worlds.. LOL

Well if you want 2 systems, get the D100 for upstairs, and the Asguard or an AudioGD for downstairs. that way you cover both. Win Win to me, then you can also fill us in on the difference in Amp sections.

Quote:
I currently solely use an iPod Touch 4G 32GB as source / dac / amp. But seeing as I recently bought an absolutely amazing Denon D5000,

Thanks in advance :DD

Fostex HP-P1 is your only option, but its out of your price range. 

You want clear, uncoloured, and lots of current.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #292 of 447
Quote:

Thanks in advance

Quote:
BACK FROM HOLIDAY

Fostex HP-P1 is your only option, but its out of your price range.

You want clear, uncoloured, and lots of current.

Would a cheaper portable amp make any difference? I just don't have unlimited $$ laying around... 200$ for an amp isn't very strechable sadly :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #293 of 447
Quote:
Would a cheaper portable amp make any difference? I'm currently 17 years old and I just don't have unlimited $$ laying around... 200$ for an amp isn't very strechable sadly :frowning2:

Well with Denons the DAC is more important, and only so many work with Apple iDevices, and the Go-Dap is coloured and does not suit it (from experience) and also expensive. 

Also above that I have experience with the Fiio E7, which is ok, but it leaves a lot to be desired in terms of current delivery. 

I just bough my father the E17 which I will test. but half the circuitry will be wasted, unless your using it with a PC.

You can buy a portable amp but you will need someone who knows more about them to help you, I have already given you the requirements: uncoloured, with lots of current and low output impedance.

But I wouldn't expect much just from an amp if your using the ipod touch as the source. So save your money is my recommendation.

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #294 of 447
I might actually go against and suggest a warm amp to go with, rather than the most neutral sounding one. I am liking my D5000 from my TTVJ Slim more than from my NFB5.2 weirdly

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #295 of 447
Quote:
I might actually go against and suggest a warm amp to go with, rather than the most neutral sounding one. I am liking my D5000 from my TTVJ Slim more than from my NFB5.2 weirdly

Source & DAC?

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #296 of 447
Ahh that was from a nationite Sflo:2

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #297 of 447
Quote:
Ahh that was from a nationite Sflo:2

Piling a fair amount of smooth and colouration on there? 

If it works don't break it, but it doesn't often. (the colouration I mean)

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #298 of 447
Quote:
Would a cheaper portable amp make any difference? I'm currently 17 years old and I just don't have unlimited $$ laying around... 200$ for an amp isn't very strechable sadly :frowning2:

Quote:
Well with Denons the DAC is more important, and only so many work with Apple iDevices, and the Go-Dap is coloured and does not suit it (from experience) and also expensive. 

Also above that I have experience with the Fiio E7, which is ok, but it leaves a lot to be desired in terms of current delivery. 

I just bough my father the E17 which I will test. but half the circuitry will be wasted, unless your using it with a PC.

You can buy a portable amp but you will need someone who knows more about them to help you, I have already given you the requirements: uncoloured, with lots of current and low output impedance.

But I wouldn't expect much just from an amp if your using the ipod touch as the source. So save your money is my recommendation.

Thanks for your recommendation :) Looking forward to hear your opinion on the E17 as well. Much appreciated.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #299 of 447
Oh don't jinx my Sflo:2!! It is still running fine!

Yea it is a great colouration that imo worked very well with the Sflo:2's more analytical sound signature, the two just works together nicely - and even nicer with the D5000. That's why I suggested maybe peeps can look into a 'warmer' or 'darker'/'tubey/whatever witchcraft it is amp to use with the Denon

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #300 of 447
Oh don't jinx my Sflo:2!! It is still running fine!

Yea it is a great colouration that imo worked very well with the Sflo:2's more analytical sound signature, the two just works together nicely - and even nicer with the D5000. That's why I suggested maybe peeps can look into a 'warmer' or 'darker'/'tubey/whatever witchcraft it is amp to use with the
Denon

You see

Users who are viewing this thread

Back