Headphones you regretted buying the most
Jun 18, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #1,383 of 1,852
Quote:
AKG K514 MKII, horrendously harsh and bright and had basically no bass. It was sibilant on basically anything, by far the brightest and harshest headphone I have ever heard. If any headphone fits the shrieking banshee moniker, it's these things. If they had tame highs and decent bass they would of actually been good headphones. Another headphone I regret for a different reason is the Sennheiser PX-100 ii, it has way too much midbass, so much it can hurt my ears on bass-heavy music. The midrange also rubs me the wrong way, something about it bothers me, the treble is too recessed as well. It literally sounds like a better and open version of the Beats Solo HD, had the chance to compare them side to side, the two headphones sound a lot alike.

While they are not the brightest or harshest (try Grado or Superlux!) they are indeed more sibilant and worse sounding overall than the K512 mk2. In fact, they are similar to the K540 which is also no match for the 512. What was AKG thinking.

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #1,384 of 1,852
Quote:
While they are not the brightest or harshest (try Grado or Superlux!) they are indeed more sibilant and worse sounding overall than the K512 mk2. In fact, they are similar to the K540 which is also no match for the 512. What was AKG thinking.

Ah I see. I have only heard an higher end Grado and I didn't find it overly harsh or bright. I haven't tried Superlux, but I will probably avoid them then. I don't know what they were thinking. It was the harshness that bothered me, brightness doesn't bother me that much. They also didn't seem to scale up well at all, I barely noticed a difference between with them on an amp and without an amp, while the similarly priced K240 Studio keeps sounding better and better the better the system.

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #1,385 of 1,852
AKG Q701, Bought them and never ever used them
I liked them.. but they were a waste of money to me.

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #1,386 of 1,852
Cakensaur,

try getting the AKG memory foam pads and see if you like them then.  I have the 65th anniv. and I think they sound pretty good.

Jun 19, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #1,387 of 1,852
Already sold them.. 

Got some T1's arriving soon which i have listened to before and know i love.

Thanks though.

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #1,388 of 1,852
With the t1 no need for my last suggestion :)

Jun 20, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #1,389 of 1,852
although a good number of people may strongly disagree i regretted buying the ad900x the most out of the few headphones i have purchased. Although it sounded better than the bose qc15 i bought (for obvious reasons) i knew what i was getting when i originally purchased qc 15 which was not for the sound quality but for noise cancellation. The ad900x however, i expected it to sound great but frankly i was disappointed. (not to say it sounded bad) Maybe my expectations were too high.

Jun 20, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #1,390 of 1,852
perhaps, the brain plays a massive part on how good/bad we think a headphone is.

best guess is listen to a song which has always made you happy, really happy, and then see what you think.

that or the sig isn't for you, i know my friend was considering buying them and i went to listen to them with him and to be quite honest i didn't really like them either, they weren't bad by any means but i didn't personally find them very engaging. each to their own. moral of the story is try before you buy :wink:

Jun 20, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #1,391 of 1,852
Which headphones do you regret buying AFTER you first listen to them? Reading this post seems a lot off people are like me. Buying without testing them first.
So not surprising a lot of them disappoint one way or another

Jun 20, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #1,392 of 1,852
Quote:
Which headphones do you regret buying AFTER you first listen to them? Reading this post seems a lot off people are like me. Buying without testing them first.
So not surprising a lot of them disappoint one way or another

Every headphone I've bought has disappointed me on my very first impressions. It's definitely a result of not being able to test them first, and being so used to other headphones that the first impression is jarring. With that being said, after spending some time with them I haven't had long-lasting regret on anything I've bought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back