Headphones you regretted buying the most
Jun 5, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #1,352 of 1,852
I May sound odd, but, hd650, here is why. In comparison to my k701 sound is so flat and so "in head" that I can not stand it, and that head band and padding, it's putting far too much preasure on my head and paddign is a bit punctual, so as result it was a real pain to put them on, for some longer sessions, Anyway they are in the box for good, need to get rid of them. Hd800 is obviously in oposition, great hphone. k701 are also great in comparison to 650, will miss them, but my younger brother is looking into these, so I have to say bye to them and let him enjoy great presentation, air fantastic hphone ...

Jun 7, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #1,353 of 1,852
I forgot the self-proclaimed budget king "Koss DJ 100".
With all the hype on here, I had very high expectations, but what a bitter disappointment...
IMO, it's a decent phone, but FAR from a budget king. In Europe, those pseudo dj cans for teenies cost $100, which isn't unexpensive.
I gave them their chance (200 hours burn-in, M50 pads, Beyer DT-250 pads, velours and pleather, 661 pads ...) but in the end I was tired and I even didn't bother trying to sell them, I had already wasted too much time with them.  
biggrin.gif

Compared to highly unexpensive but amazing cans like the Superlux 662F ($30, yes 30) or 681 EVO (same price), the Koss sounds like a cheap gas station headphone IMO. The DJ 100 fanboys are going to give me hell for that but that's my opinion...

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #1,355 of 1,852
Unless my set from Amazon was a fake, which I highly doubt, my choice is easily the MDR-XB500. 

Jesus, my old refurbished Logitech G35s sounded way better than these. On my pair, there was no thumping bass. You had to EQ the lower end like crazy (ie. Bass increase to 20 on Rockbox) to get a nice bass rumble. Uneq'd, they just sound really meh and the highs are tinny. I played around with the EQ a lot and they didn't do anything different than what my JVC-HAS500s can do.

They were comfortable though, which is the only positive. 

Worth over $60? LMAO... no freaking chance. 
EDIT: Luckily, I got a full refund on these, including shipping. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #1,356 of 1,852
Above, i had to listen to mine pretty loud to get a thump, but now that i look back i appreciate the amount of bass they had. Just gotta get used to headphone bass :/

Jun 7, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #1,358 of 1,852
Grado 325.  Many people love them - there's even an appreciation thread - but for me they just didn't do it. I found them heavy, they wouldn't stay on my head if I moved, and to me they were just so bass heavy that it distorted the music.  I need a more neutral sound.  If you're a bass head maybe these would appeal.

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #1,359 of 1,852
On my pair, there was no thumping bass. You had to EQ the lower end like crazy (ie. Bass increase to 20 on Rockbox) to get a nice bass rumble. Uneq'd, they just sound really meh and the highs are tinny.

That sounds nearly the complete opposite of the sound signature of the XB500. I'd put my money on them being defective or fake.

On mine, without even using EQ, the bass was so strong the headphones literally vibrated on my head.

Jun 7, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #1,360 of 1,852
Quote:

That sounds nearly the complete opposite of the sound signature of the XB500. I'd put my money on them being defective or fake.

On mine, without even using EQ, the bass was so strong the headphones literally vibrated on my head.

First of all, I earlier ordered from 3 other stores in Canada and each time I placed an order, a few days later they cancelled and refunded me my money because they were no longer stocked. 

Surprisingly, they were in stock at Canadian Shoppe, a store from Montreal:

http://www.amazon.ca/Sony-MDR-XB500-Diaphragm-Driver-Headphones/dp/B001RB24S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370656244&sr=8-1&keywords=xb500

My reaction to putting them on was, "these have to be fake." I was plugging them into my TASCAM 24/96 midi interface and listening to FLACs by Xilent, Skrillex, some Kanye west, some electro-house, etc. to hear the pounding bass. Without EQ, there was no bass and they just sounded like crappy headphones. They sounded just a little bit darker than my ATH-M20s, which have no bass. I had to EQ the crap out of them to get anything like what was described on these forums. The EQ provided by RPGWizard didn't sound good at all. 

I wonder if they were fakes...I know they are not being produced anymore. I saw a post here of someone complaining how his new pair of XB500s had no bass and another saying he had an old pair and they sound far better than his newer pair.

Perhaps this Canadian online store bought these fakes from an unauthorized seller...

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #1,361 of 1,852
Man I must be lucky as I hear people d2000 having hinge issues and I have no problem after owning these for a few years. Hope my luck doesn't dry out as I love them.

Xb500 with no bass is deffinitely weird, but I agree, I dont like them one bit. To me they sound muffed.

Jun 8, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #1,363 of 1,852
Quote:
I May sound odd, but, hd650, here is why. In comparison to my k701 sound is so flat and so "in head" that I can not stand it, and that head band and padding, it's putting far too much preasure on my head and paddign is a bit punctual, so as result it was a real pain to put them on, for some longer sessions, Anyway they are in the box for good, need to get rid of them. Hd800 is obviously in oposition, great hphone. k701 are also great in comparison to 650, will miss them, but my younger brother is looking into these, so I have to say bye to them and let him enjoy great presentation, air fantastic hphone ...

wish you were in the US I would buy/trade witchya. Been really wanting to hear those hd650's

Jun 8, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #1,364 of 1,852
Mine is the Koss PortaPro, typically if you bought a pair that cost you so little you wouldn't have high expectations but after all the hype I had read, I did. Their primary merit is the clarity for which I would commend them, otherwise the comfort is poor, build quality is poor and whilst I find it hard to place why, I just don't enjoy their sound whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back