Headphones that play great WITHOUT expensive audio system
Sep 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #31 of 44
Quote:
My budget is up to around $2000.
I am looking for a headphone that goes great with progressive rock, female and male vocals and light and heavy electronic music.

No-brainer - Fostex TH900. Fantastic out of iPod - but not very portable. GREAT for your music. Check out Ultrasone Signature Pro as well for portable. Edition 8 might tickle your fancy too if you like highs alot, and a tad less portability. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #32 of 44
Quote:
I think T1 could be too analytical for me. I really want musical headphones now.
Have you ever tried HE-500? If so, how did they compare to LCD2?

I really prefer the LCD2's for that type of music, I'm used to large full range speakers in my home and those give me that kind of punch in the gut low end I like.

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #33 of 44
The TH900 has the best bass I have ever heard. Very clean, clear and voluptuous. It's pure magic. Great impact. The mids are so organic, and the highs refined and extended. They are nothing short of spectacular. Very engaging and musical. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #34 of 44
Sounds good, but there is one issue for me. I've read that Fostex TH900 house sound is similar to Denon which I am not a big fan of. So everything fits, but if it is true, I wouldn't be satisfied with them esp. that they would eat all my budget:)
Edition 8 is closed.
Ultrasone Signature Pro - is it a musical headphone?
Quote:

No-brainer - Fostex TH900. Fantastic out of iPod - but not very portable. GREAT for your music. Check out Ultrasone Signature Pro as well for portable. Edition 8 might tickle your fancy too if you like highs alot, and a tad less portability. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #35 of 44
Hmmm, what about the Denon don't you like? I can tell you the Fostex is improved upon and in another league all-together. 

I think the SigPro is musical. It's the most balanced offering from Ultrasone to date (typically known for a v-shaped sound). Solid, round, tight bass, nice fluid mids, and smooth highs. It's a really solid, fantastic headphone. Everything from electronic music to classical is a joy. Has the bass to be fun with electronic genres, and the smooth highs and fluid mids to do classical, vocals, and acoustic with grace. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #36 of 44
I wouldn't spend that much money on headphones that are as colored as Denon. They have one of those classic V shaped sounds where the focus is too heavily on bass.

Sep 13, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #37 of 44
My vote also goes to the LCD-2 - wether off my Peachtree Nova, Macbook Air or even lowly Motoroly Defy+ they always sound fantastic - I noted a much bigger difference in sound quality with my Grados PS500 which should be far easier to drive but only seem to really play out their strengths on the Peachtree.

Be aware though that the LCD-2 are *really* big...certainly not something you'll want to wear on the street, and even lying down on a couch with a cushion behind your head tends to push them forward. They're the best sounding headphones I've heard to date, but apart from a good listening chair/recliner with a very firm (or no) headrest there's really not many places where you can listen to them in complete comfort...

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #38 of 44
For me Denon sound is nice and gentle, but there is something I am missing there and there is bass everywhere. Well, maybe not everywhere, but the sound is not optimal for me.
If Fostex has this kind of sound, I might not like it either, especially at this price.
I would be happy to test both Fostex and Ultrasone, but I am not sure I will be able to find it at my location.

Quote:
Hmmm, what about the Denon don't you like? I can tell you the Fostex is improved upon and in another league all-together. 

I think the SigPro is musical. It's the most balanced offering from Ultrasone to date (typically known for a v-shaped sound). Solid, round, tight bass, nice fluid mids, and smooth highs. It's a really solid, fantastic headphone. Everything from electronic music to classical is a joy. Has the bass to be fun with electronic genres, and the smooth highs and fluid mids to do classical, vocals, and acoustic with grace. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #39 of 44
Fair enough. If you don't like much bass, it might be too much. But it's so tight and in control it's amazing. Definitely less bass that D5000. Tighter than D7000. About the same as the fairly "balanced" SigPro, but much cleaner. Try if you can. Good luck!

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #40 of 44
Thanks for the helpful information and reminding me of the comfort issue of LCD2. This thing bothers me, as I would like to be able to relax and forget headphones on my head. Also I like to listen lying on my bed. Hmmm...it seems no one headphone does everything....

Quote:
My vote also goes to the LCD-2 - wether off my Peachtree Nova, Macbook Air or even lowly Motoroly Defy+ they always sound fantastic - I noted a much bigger difference in sound quality with my Grados PS500 which should be far easier to drive but only seem to really play out their strengths on the Peachtree.

Be aware though that the LCD-2 are *really* big...certainly not something you'll want to wear on the street, and even lying down on a couch with a cushion behind your head tends to push them forward. They're the best sounding headphones I've heard to date, but apart from a good listening chair/recliner with a very firm (or no) headrest there's really not many places where you can listen to them in complete comfort...

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #41 of 44
I think that you'd love the he400 by Hifiman. They are an open planar magnetic hp and would work well for your genre of music. They retail for $399. See the review in my signature. If you want something closed with a bit more bass, but not as much as the denon series then consider the modded fostex called Mad dogs by Mr. Speakers. 

gL!!

Sep 14, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #42 of 44
I've read different things about HE-400, but I should give it a try, too. Thanks!

Quote:
I think that you'd love the he400 by Hifiman. They are an open planar magnetic hp and would work well for your genre of music. They retail for $399. See the review in my signature. If you want something closed with a bit more bass, but not as much as the denon series then consider the modded fostex called Mad dogs by Mr. Speakers. 

gL!!

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #43 of 44
I know the fostex th900 and th600 and the beyerdynamic t5p and the ultrasone signature are in my opinion the best sounding without an amp but even those cans would sound a lot better with an amp. There are a lot of amps that are very cheap that can do the job on these cans.

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #44 of 44
To give you an example the ultrasones are very good without an amp as they were directed to be a can for portable audiophile use. However they come with a quarter in adapter thinking that you would use them with a cheap portable amp such as the fiio amps and international amps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back