Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 10, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #74,881 of 75,563
Hi, guys! I'm back. Yesterday I received Temperament X6 and FAAEAL Rosemary.
The X6 feels really nice, come in a good taste package. Loved the velvet sack, earhook and donut foams. It sounds great, way better than any of my previous gear. Nice detailing and good bass. Too bad I can't find to buy the detachable 4.4 plug. Any tips?
I don't know how to get the cable with 4.4mm separately. I know this does not help with your situation right now, but I bought X6 with both 3.5mm cable and 4.4mm cable together. It was like option upgrade deal. That is the only way to get both cables for X6 that I know. If you buy Temperament X3, then it comes with both cables in the box as standard.

Here's the link to X6 with both cables that I bought: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256806025289386.html

Apr 10, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #74,882 of 75,563
Ordered two of them. I didn't request straight down either, but will cut tubing off (or use hair dryer) if need be... I actually like the over ear style for the RWxxxx buds. :)
I have been playing with some cables and am now using a Leonidas II cable with an earbud. Over the ear is growing on me, especially with bell types.

Apr 10, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #74,883 of 75,563
I don't know how to get the cable with 4.4mm separately. I know this does not help with your situation right now, but I bought X6 with both 3.5mm cable and 4.4mm cable together. It was like option upgrade deal. That is the only way to get both cables for X6 that I know. If you buy Temperament X3, then it comes with both cables in the box as standard.

Here's the link to X6 with both cables that I bought: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256806025289386.html
Wow! Way more expensive ☹️ aren't there other options that fit on it?

Apr 10, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #74,884 of 75,563
Wow! Way more expensive ☹️ aren't there other options that fit on it?
I'm not sure if any 3rd party cable will fit it. Yes, more expensive. I bought it during the 2024 Lunar New Years AE sale so it was reduced price, plus I had a coupon code which knocked the price down a little bit more.

Edit: Try to message the store I gave you the link for and ask if they have the 4.4 cable for purchase. When I received the package, it was one outside box with the X6 box (like what you received) and a small separate box with 4.4 cable inside. So maybe they will have a 4.4 cable you can buy. It does not hurt to ask them.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #74,885 of 75,563
I'm not sure if any 3rd party cable will fit it. Yes, more expensive. I bought it during the 2024 Lunar New Years AE sale so it was reduced price, plus I had a coupon code which knocked the price down a little bit more.

Edit: Try to message the store I gave you the link for and ask if they have the 4.4 cable for purchase. When I received the package, it was one outside box with the X6 box (like what you received) and a small separate box with 4.4 cable inside. So maybe they will have a 4.4 cable you can buy. It does not hurt to ask them.
Done that. Thanks, bro! I'm probably use it as my bud for playing in the anbernic and Rosemary as my music phone.

Apr 10, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #74,886 of 75,563
TL;DR: OpenHeart's Nightingale is a great budget earbud with similar tuning to Yincrow's earbuds; rougher around the edges and sibilant at times but tameable with minor EQ settings. Very easy to drive and sound great even with low-end sources but does take a stupid amount of bass boost to have decent low end. More flexible than other budget buds due to the MMCX connectors but cable isn't great and the MMCX plugs are incredibly difficult to remove, needs an MMCX tool.

I've been meaning to write a full post about OpenHeart's Nightingale which was mentioned here back in 2022 by several people but without any follow-up I could find. I wanted to compare it against the RW-2000 that I had foolishly left at home while traveling before I posted my thoughts about it. And after listening to the two side-by-side with my Qudelix 5K it has me re-evaluating whether I really need some of the buds I was interested in, as well as what I'm willing to pay for higher-end earbuds. While the RW2K has a much more refined, smoother sound with deeper bass extension and greater treble resolution, the Nightingale is at the beginning of the same region at least to my ears. Maybe I would notice a more profound difference with a higher-end source, but how high would I need to go to achieve a noticeable improvement? That's a deep, deep rabbit hole with no end in sight...

I honestly never thought I would get the quality of sound I get with this bud out of TRN's BT3S Pro or even the BT20XS, I thought I had hit the limit of both due to the lack of an amp and limited codec support respectively. They even sound great with a cheap BT-50 neckband that I had written off as not worth the money. While it takes a stupid amount of bass boost (+40% in Poweramp EQ... yeah I know...) to have decent bass presence I don't notice any warbling or distortion to vocals like I do with the FF3/S when I push the bass too high. There is a noticeable point where the driver can't reproduce bass frequencies but I've noticed this with the RW2K as well though it isn't nearly as pronounced. Treble can be sibilant, especially for songs with prominent female vocals, but a -1.5 dB 4K 1.41 Q peak filter was enough to tame it without reducing vocal clarity. Even using the BT3S Pro I was noticing background instruments and effects that I hadn't heard with other earbuds, this was even more noticeable when using my 5K as the source. IMO the tuning is very similar to Yincrow's, with similar instrumental punch and depth that is sorely missing from Fiio's buds for me.

It's not all sunshine and rainbows, as there are multiple songs that I enjoy listening to with the RW2K that feel constrained and stuffy with the Nightingale. Normally there is a noticeable soundstage that while not as wide as the RW2K is still present that just disappears with these songs. I'm not sure if it's the vent placement, shell design/shape, or the Hiegi foams I'm using but it's rare enough that I'm willing to overlook it since everything else sounds so good. This is my first* earbud that has an MX500-style shell, so maybe that's a contributing factor? (*I do have the X9 which has a similar shell design but I haven't listened to it nearly as much as the Nightingale so I can't compare the two). I'm also not a fan of the included cable, it's similar to Fiio's FF3 cable that I absolutely despise though it's more flexible so it doesn't get in the way as much. And holy hell I've never had such impossibly hard to remove MMCX connectors, I bought an MMCX tool because of how difficult it was to remove even when trying to use my fingernails to get between the socket and the plug. I honestly felt like I was going to break the shell with how much force I had to use to remove the cable, if you get this earbud you need an MMCX tool.

Edit: I figured out the reason I needed such a ridiculous bass boost, apparently when I was testing different levels of boost I had the Nightingale sitting much farther out than the other earbuds I use which is where it sounds the best to me. Pushing it so that it sits against the recessed part of my ear makes that bass boost overwhelming, and if the earbud is turned away from my ear canal the bass boost disappears and the treble becomes unbearable. Having it sit on the edge of the lip below the recess of your ear is the perfect spot for me. For anyone trying this earbud it would be a good idea to try several positions to see what sounds the best to you and then look in the mirror so you have a better idea of where the earbud should sit. I'm willing to deal with finicky positioning to get the best sound out of this earbud, and it's more comfortable than some of my other earbuds in this position anyway. I've only worn this earbud over ear so that will affect the sound as well.

This earbud has really opened my eyes to what could be possible by building my own earbuds, as I was afraid it would be a lot of trial and error to achieve a sound signature I like. But if a budget-oriented store like OpenHeart* can achieve this with inexpensive and (presumably) common parts with AFAIK no additional tuning or tweaking it makes me a lot more confident that it won't be a huge time (and money) pit. I'm also going to explore more options for custom earbuds as a starting point to DIY as it will hopefully give me a feel of how individual parts sound when combined into one package. (*Apparently XinYue is likely the original seller of this same earbud according to this post, I hadn't heard of XinYue until I was seeing whether anyone else had posted about this earbud. It doesn't seem to be nearly as popular with their customers, not sure why.).

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #74,887 of 75,563
The X6 feels really nice, come in a good taste package. Loved the velvet sack, earhook and donut foams. It sounds great, way better than any of my previous gear. Nice detailing and good bass. Too bad I can't find to buy the detachable 4.4 plug. Any tips?

Today I testes FAAEAL Rosemary. Sweet Jesus! I don't know if it pairs perfectly with Moondrop Dawn (balanced), but it sounds so... powerful! I was so surprised by it I picked my trusty Zero:Red and they sounded so bland and thin. I'm really glad I grabed one. Probably will be my favorite headphone for a good time.

But... What would be an upgrade? Just so I can track and monitor it's price 🤓

An upgrade over the Rosemary would be the Fiio FF3 or FF3S (the S version being slightly less bassy).

Or you can skip these midFI sets and go all the way to the Yinman 600 ohm as the endgame for bassy earbuds. However, it has a ridiculously low sensitivity and high impedance and needs amplification to sound optimal.

Apr 11, 2024 at 12:49 AM Post #74,888 of 75,563
sucks that mx500 shells don't fit quite right since it seems a lot of gear out there use this design but at least i have the ff1 design to help discern better buys. between the two buds, i prefer the ff1 due to wider compatibility with more genres, use cases (videos, podcasts, calls, gaming), and a no pain fit.
That is my thought as well. I only have one or two MX shelled buds for the same reason.

For what you pay for them, the FF1 are a excellent overall package. The sound isn't perfect, but it has a very full bodied sound similar to some TOTL buds out there, and for my ears there is no offensive tuning going on with them. Others have said they are "meh" but I would put them as some of the best budget buds you can get. :)
You got it Bro! Here's a side by side comparison. Oh yeah, the XINHS is softer and more flexible than the Yincrow cable.

Click the pic to make it bigger.
XINHS cable.jpg
Oh wow! The OG cable looks like the Xinhs cable but after being in a house of a smoker for a long time... haha

Today I testes FAAEAL Rosemary. Sweet Jesus! I don't know if it pairs perfectly with Moondrop Dawn (balanced), but it sounds so... powerful! I was so surprised by it I picked my trusty Zero:Red and they sounded so bland and thin. I'm really glad I grabed one. Probably will be my favorite headphone for a good time.

But... What would be an upgrade? Just so I can track and monitor it's price 🤓
Congrats on your new shiny! :)

I think that @baskingshark nailed it for upgrades within the same signature.
TL;DR: OpenHeart's Nightingale is a great budget earbud with similar tuning to Yincrow's earbuds; rougher around the edges and sibilant at times but tameable with minor EQ settings. Very easy to drive and sound great even with low-end sources but does take a stupid amount of bass boost to have decent low end. More flexible than other budget buds due to the MMCX connectors but cable isn't great and the MMCX plugs are incredibly difficult to remove, needs an MMCX tool.

I've been meaning to write a full post about OpenHeart's Nightingale which was mentioned here back in 2022 by several people but without any follow-up I could find. I wanted to compare it against the RW-2000 that I had foolishly left at home while traveling before I posted my thoughts about it. And after listening to the two side-by-side with my Qudelix 5K it has me re-evaluating whether I really need some of the buds I was interested in, as well as what I'm willing to pay for higher-end earbuds. While the RW2K has a much more refined, smoother sound with deeper bass extension and greater treble resolution, the Nightingale is at the beginning of the same region at least to my ears. Maybe I would notice a more profound difference with a higher-end source, but how high would I need to go to achieve a noticeable improvement? That's a deep, deep rabbit hole with no end in sight...

I honestly never thought I would get the quality of sound I get with this bud out of TRN's BT3S Pro or even the BT20XS, I thought I had hit the limit of both due to the lack of an amp and limited codec support respectively. They even sound great with a cheap BT-50 neckband that I had written off as not worth the money. While it takes a stupid amount of bass boost (+40% in Poweramp EQ... yeah I know...) to have decent bass presence I don't notice any warbling or distortion to vocals like I do with the FF3/S when I push the bass too high. There is a noticeable point where the driver can't reproduce bass frequencies but I've noticed this with the RW2K as well though it isn't nearly as pronounced. Treble can be sibilant, especially for songs with prominent female vocals, but a -1.5 dB 4K 1.41 Q peak filter was enough to tame it without reducing vocal clarity. Even using the BT3S Pro I was noticing background instruments and effects that I hadn't heard with other earbuds, this was even more noticeable when using my 5K as the source. IMO the tuning is very similar to Yincrow's, with similar instrumental punch and depth that is sorely missing from Fiio's buds for me.

It's not all sunshine and rainbows, as there are multiple songs that I enjoy listening to with the RW2K that feel constrained and stuffy with the Nightingale. Normally there is a noticeable soundstage that while not as wide as the RW2K is still present that just disappears with these songs. I'm not sure if it's the vent placement, shell design/shape, or the Hiegi foams I'm using but it's rare enough that I'm willing to overlook it since everything else sounds so good. This is my first* earbud that has an MX500-style shell, so maybe that's a contributing factor? (*I do have the X9 which has a similar shell design but I haven't listened to it nearly as much as the Nightingale so I can't compare the two). I'm also not a fan of the included cable, it's similar to Fiio's FF3 cable that I absolutely despise though it's more flexible so it doesn't get in the way as much. And holy hell I've never had such impossibly hard to remove MMCX connectors, I bought an MMCX tool because of how difficult it was to remove even when trying to use my fingernails to get between the socket and the plug. I honestly felt like I was going to break the shell with how much force I had to use to remove the cable, if you get this earbud you need an MMCX tool.

This earbud has really opened my eyes to what could be possible by building my own earbuds, as I was afraid it would be a lot of trial and error to achieve a sound signature I like. But if a budget-oriented store like OpenHeart* can achieve this with inexpensive and (presumably) common parts with AFAIK no additional tuning or tweaking it makes me a lot more confident that it won't be a huge time (and money) pit. I'm also going to explore more options for custom earbuds as a starting point to DIY as it will hopefully give me a feel of how individual parts sound when combined into one package. (*Apparently XinYue is likely the original seller of this same earbud according to this post, I hadn't heard of XinYue until I was seeing whether anyone else had posted about this earbud. It doesn't seem to be nearly as popular with their customers, not sure why.).
congrats on your new shiny! :)

Apr 11, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #74,889 of 75,563
An upgrade over the Rosemary would be the Fiio FF3 or FF3S (the S version being slightly less bassy).

Or you can skip these midFI sets and go all the way to the Yinman 600 ohm as the endgame for bassy earbuds. However, it has a ridiculously low sensitivity and high impedance and needs amplification to sound optimal.
FF3 is on my radar already. About the Yinman, I don't have an amp strong enough to push it. And they're too expensive (taxes in Brazil are around 92% when the product costs more than 50 USD). Aside this, what portable amp can push it?

Apr 11, 2024 at 7:01 AM Post #74,890 of 75,563
Has anyone tried to DIY a Yinman? Identical wooden shells are available on Ali and I think(?) the drivers are too. (600Ω Beryllium)

Apr 11, 2024 at 8:15 AM Post #74,891 of 75,563
FF3 is on my radar already. About the Yinman, I don't have an amp strong enough to push it. And they're too expensive (taxes in Brazil are around 92% when the product costs more than 50 USD). Aside this, what portable amp can push it?

Even my Chord Mojo 2 can't drive the Yinman 600 ohm optimally (bass is bloated and one-noted with the Mojo 2).

So far, of my dongle collection, only the Fiio KA17 dongle can drive it serviceably (it has 650 mW on 4.4 mm desktop mode). Not as good sounding as a pure desktop setup, but at least the bass is decently speedy.

Apr 11, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #74,892 of 75,563
Has anyone tried to DIY a Yinman? Identical wooden shells are available on Ali and I think(?) the drivers are too. (600Ω Beryllium)
If you can find the shell tell us 😉 Screenshot_20240411_154052_Discord.jpg

Apr 11, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #74,893 of 75,563
Please don't get me wrong with my current tirade about AVCCK store. My first purchase from them (the Yinman 2.0 600) was a flawless experience. As a matter of fact, other than having issues with one budget set of buds (that was replaced without having to even send the damaged one back), I have had zero issues shopping on AE. It has been VERY smooth for the most part.

I never buy from FleaBay, so I never have to worry about being completely ripped off. I remember back when the XBox 360 first came out. There were sellers on there selling just the box for it, and making kilobucks for it. Of course the people buying this product (thinking they are getting an XBox 360) were too stupid to read the a)very small print b)clever wording that technically never lied.

Also, unless it is a certain type of product, I won't order stuff like this on Amazon either. It used to be that as long as it was labeled as "shipped by Amazon" you could feel safe in your purchase. This is no longer true. My daughter JUST called me yesterday about a Samsung smartwatch that she just received. When booting it up, the only region she could choose from when setting it up was United Arab Kingdom. And, in case you hadn't read my location, we are in the US.... haha

Needless to say, Amazon is pulling an old Chinese market trick (make it so hard to return it, it isn't worth the effort). Rather than being able to take it to an authorized Amazon return center (like with every other product), they would not issue an RMA, that UPS would bring the label with them, and she had to be present. This is not a problem for those that never work, because UPS usually gives an arrival time of 9:00AM to 8:00PM. This gives the customer motivation to just keep the item.

There are still a few out there, but for the most part a lot of businesses today are morally corrupt (not necessarily doing anything explicitly illegal); whether that be product description, quality, or after sales care (this is the really big one nowadays). It is a shame that buying experiences have become more of a chore, where you have to be on your toes at all times and do some major research before you can feel comfortable in making a purchase. Most people just want to be able to read about the product and the after care services, and be able to count on that; rather than having to do extensive/exhaustive research on the company they are buying from, and read tons of reviews to see patterns, etc....
Can't disagree with anything you're saying, and bad consumer buying experiences really do hurt in the long run. In the case of Yinman 600 it's too bad that there appear to be only 1 or 2 stores selling the rather unique 600. Something about the design and wood material is sonically right, so I'm also thinking about getting the 32Ohm or 150Ohm version. I will probably avoid AVCCK though, and try to contact the Longyao Yinman Taobao store directly like the person from Shanling did recently.

Sorry to hear about your daughters dud smartwatch buy...shame on the Amazon reseller for trying to unload some other country's stock, and quite frankly bad on Samsung for not making universal interfaces. I do know some people who work in Amazon's China operations and they are trying to expand the marketplace resellers rapidly by recruiting Chinese vendors directly. Of course they will do what they can to police their behaviors and standardize processes but I still can't help thinking if this means the Amazon marketplace experience is going to converge with Aliexpress or Temu. On the other hand maybe having more source vendors under the Amazon policy umbrella will improve on the AE experience with better selection? I generally stay away from these platforms and the low-cost products with the exception of flathead earbuds, to me the price to performance value is just too too good, it's like having the ultimate cheatcode for hi-fi!

Apr 11, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #74,895 of 75,563
This is just one man’s opinion, but I am very satisfied with the sound of my Yinman 600s out of my VE Megatron. The sound is even better when I run it through the FX Sound app on my PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back