Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 1, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #74,176 of 75,237
Congrats on your new shiny! :)

Even though I DO indeed still recommend the RW3000, I, myself still favor the RW2000 over the RW3000. @JAnonymous5150 and I have held the opposite over the years for these two buds (though not by a ton, mind you). The RW2000 are just more musical of a presentation, because they are a bit bassier, and less forward in the treble region (for starters) while the RW3000 have a bit more precise presentation. You should be able to search for my impressions of the RW3000 compared to the RW2000 from when I first got them. Over time, the more I listened to the RW3000, the more I liked them (though I DO sometimes wish they didn't have that 3K spike that still hurts my ears when I crank the volume). And, your comments about the staging baffles me, and I can only say that it must be a difference in ears (once again), because I don't hear the issues with staging that you hear in that way at all. So sorry to hear that you aren't as fond of them as others are.

Having said that, I still do love the RW3000 as well, and think they are a great compliment to other Yincrow earbuds. I suppose a tuning that you might call boring, is almost exactly what an audiophile wanting to critical listen, is looking for. And for the most part, there is nothing out there tuned quite like this, though the Alpha 3 and FF5 reach near to this tuning achievement. This has always put them in a top tier category for me because there aren't a ton of other buds out there that are as goo at being "reference" sound as these are. But as always, all ears are different, and this set isn't for everyone.

The only bud that I can think of that sounds like the HD650 are the Yinman 2.0 600, but you will need an amplifier that measures in watts, rather than milliwatts in order to properly drive them (much like the actual HD650 or the LCDs) because they are very high impedance @600ohms, and very low sensitivity @87dB/mW. If that is not an option, either the Yincrow RW2000 or the FiiO FF3 might fill this requirement for sound and are very easy to drive.

However, of those three, only the RW2000 comes with a detachable cable, and none come with a mic out of the box. I don't think you will find any that sound as good as (or similar to) the HD650s that actually come with a mic. Most times only the budget buds come with a mic (though not always). If you are looking for a budget option that has not only a mic, but controls for devices out of the box as well (and a DAC/amp dongle), and sound warm and relaxing (though not as refined as the other choices in sound overall), the FiiO FF1 are a very good option as well. That isn't to say they sound bad at all, you can just tell that they don't quite match the TOTL options.

P.S. All of these choices are well under $150 and are all TOTL buds (except the FF1, which is a budget option as mentioned).
i see you and think you are right in what you said, but i have feeling, that there is kind of a different definition of boring. its not that i do not appreciate a boring signature in from an audiophile perspective at all. in fact the opposite is the casem as i like ruler flat "boring" signatures the most. for example the fiio em5 is still one of my favorites and is often called boring because it lacks bass rumble and treble shimmer. this is not the case with the Yincrow. Listening to both side by side, the Yincrow is much more exciting. in my descrepting i meant boring in a way, that it is almost (!) too perfekt and represents what most are looking for. I didnt find any frequency excessiv, which often is the case in either upper mids, treble or even midbass. this is not the case with the yincrow. so boring was meant in the way, that i dont have anything to rant about. i will dive deeper into this, trying to explain my thoughts more clear and follow your answer more structered and complete, but will need the weekend to give those more listening time, and further shape my thoughts.

Mar 1, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #74,177 of 75,237
Hidizs AP80 Pro X with Yinman 600 is not even to try?
I usually listen to music at a low volume.
i even listened to the yinman 600 straight out of my good old Fiio M6 without noticing suffering much from a quality perspective, but didnt do any a/b comparison at that time. as i also listen to low volume levels, i had plenty of headroom left, which was quite a suprise to me.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #74,178 of 75,237
Okay fellas/ladies, I was gonna post an RW-4k review a few weeks back, but I ended up having to let my account be reviewed and when I started listening I noticed a decent channel imbalance in my pair so I sent them back to exchange them for a new pair. The new pair arrived this morning so I'll do some listening and get my impressions up soon.

BTW, I sincerely apologize for forgetting to post about this after getting my account back. Things have been crazy on the road (happy to be home for a few days) and I didn't remember until the mailman dropped my new pair off this morning. As an aside, VS Audio Store on AE was very easy to deal with and shipped out the replacement with expedited shipping as soon as the returned pair showed up on tracking as being at customs in China. After several less than helpful interactions with sellers on AE, this was refreshing.

Anyways, my plan is to have something posted on Monday or early Tuesday after I've had a few days with them and I promise not to forget this time. 😉😎

Edit: I hope everyone is doing well! 👍

Edit 2: Added ladies because I figured just because all the active participants I know are dudes doesn't mean there aren't any members of the opposite sex reading the thread. Sorry and welcome to all my female earbuds/flathead fans!

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #74,179 of 75,237
Edit: I hope everyone is doing well! 👍

Edit 2: Added ladies because I figured just because all the active participants I know are dudes doesn't mean there aren't any members of the opposite sex reading the thread. Sorry and welcome to all my female earbuds/flathead fans!

Us fellas might be hiding our true gender, you never know!

Good to hear from you as always. Looking forward to the impressions on the rw-4000 :L3000:

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #74,180 of 75,237
I see... I only have a dongle amplifier right now, the Creative X1, since I am downsizing my desktop setup after moving on to speakers combined with moving to a new town... :) No big strong amplifiers left in the house.

That list was a little bit shorter than I expected, if I am entirely honest. But it makes some sense.
What about FiiO FF5 - it seems to be available around 120 euro and has a detachable MMCX. Could I connect an old IEM cable with microphone to that?
What about getting both FiiO FF3S and FF1, then doing a cable swap for the FF1 cable. Or perhaps the FF3 is very different from the FF3S now that I look at the two...

I don't fully expect it to sound like HD650 of course, just want something that's on the very slightly warm side of "neutral".

Thank you very much for the reply. Lots to consider here, it seems!
The Yinman can get plenty of volume with less power, they just aren't exerting proper control over the drivers. Some people might even prefer them to sound this way.

The FF5 are not warm and relaxed. They are a bit colder and more aggressive in the treble region (though not sibilant, only comparitively speaking). But, if you want to give them a try, they are indeed TOTL sound, and yes, any set that has detachable cable can be replaced with one that has a mic on it. :) I only left them off the list because they don't have the sound preference you are looking for (not just sounding like the HD650, but the "warm and relaxed" part; these aren't that).

Yes, you could definitely get the FF1 and FF3S and switch (proprietary) cables for the mic, but from all that I have seen, the FF3S aren't as warm and relaxed as the FF3; though, since I have not heard them, it could be enough for your needs. But the FF1 do fit what you posted that you are looking for. :)

I didn't suppose you wanted something that sounded just like the HD650, because truly the only one that does is the Yinman 2.0 600. The others on the first list are different, but still warm and relaxing in varying amounts (compared to most other earbuds).

If you are looking for something that is only slightly warm, then that actually changes the recommendations a lot, because most earbuds that have a full sound are on the warm side of neutral. The following are all warm(ish), but some can be more aggressive on the top end than others, but all of them are of good quality to top notch quality (IMHO):

• Yincrow RW2000 (detach cable)
  • Yincrow RW3000 (detach cable; over your budget by quite a bit)
  • FiiO FF5 (detach cable)
  • FiiO FF1 (detach cable)
  • NiceHCK EB2S & pro version (not detach, but has option for mic)
  • Lun Shem Aeolian Bells (comes with no cable)
  • Smabat ST10S (detach cable; if you can still get them)
  • Smabat M5 Golden (detach cable; sound like ICE picks in upper mids though)
  • Smabat M4 (same as M5)
  • Smabat M2s Pro (discontinued, but have detach cable, and sound really good with the right driver (either Super One 100ohm or ST10S 150ohm driver))
  • Most all DIY purchases (as long as you order it with an MMCX or 2-pin connection; and some you can even have them custom tune for you)
  • Your own DIY (if you felt like pulling the trigger in making your own set, you can customize it how you like)
  • A bunch of budget sets, and you recable yourself (i.e. Monk Lite, Yincrow X6, etc...)
Other than the DIY suggestions, these are all only the ones I have heard or own, so there are probably a LOT more that might fit your needs, and others might be able to speak up with those suggestions. The problem is that there aren't as many (not much more than my first suggestions) that have the combination of warm, plus relaxing, plus either detachable cable, or mic built in.

I still think that the Yincrow RW2000 or the FiiO FF1 are my top picks for what you described... My $.02, and I could be way off base here.

Mar 1, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #74,181 of 75,237
Or it could be that not many ladies talk on here, because let's be honest, they don't really need to. They just steal them from their husbands or boyfriends. I know more than a few people on this thread who's other halves have quietly confiscated their buds, and they have never gotten them back again.... Much less work involved in getting good sets... :wink:

Thankfully, my wife doesn't have the ear shape to wear earbuds at all.... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Mar 1, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #74,182 of 75,237

Good to hear from you as always. Looking forward to the impressions on the rw-4000 :L3000:

Hey, you be you. I'm totally cool with it as long as you dig buds. 😜

Mar 1, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #74,183 of 75,237
Or it could be that not many ladies talk on here, because let's be honest, they don't really need to. They just steal them from their husbands or boyfriends. I know more than a few people on this thread who's other halves have quietly confiscated their buds, and they have never gotten them back again.... Much less work involved in getting good sets... :wink:

Thankfully, my wife doesn't have the ear shape to wear earbuds at all.... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If it happened to me, it can happen to anyone. There's a reason I've had to buy some of best sets more than once and her name is Mrs. JAnonymous5150. 😂

Mar 1, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #74,184 of 75,237
If it happened to me, it can happen to anyone. There's a reason I've had to buy some of best sets more than once and her name is Mrs. JAnonymous5150. 😂
LOL Yours was one of those that I was speaking of... :)

Mar 1, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #74,185 of 75,237
Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #74,186 of 75,237
Mar 2, 2024 at 4:47 AM Post #74,187 of 75,237
I had to jump on the CAX... as similarly, I have been coveting hearing this one since the mentions here. I have to agree with everyone who has had the pleasure of hearing it and in my opinion, the CAX Susvara Black Dragon is the best bud I have heard, to date. The bass rumbl it gives is nothing short of spectacular, joined with everything else it provides.

1000006642.jpg

Hiegi donuts (with the hole) are the best foams on this one as you really want to hear everything they give with no buffer. The stock cable, however, is horrendous. Its ergonomics is similar to a miniature EA Code 23 where one neck movement and the bud gets ripped out of your ears... hence the mighty silicone wings are much needed in order to wear these buds. BUT, as this is the best sounding bud I have ever heard... I will be taking another owner's journey to have the stock cable replaced. EA Leonidas II 4W is en route and I am planning on sending both to Cypherus Audio for a joining.

1000006748.jpg

I am very much looking forward to the final product, as everyone here can probably imagine.
Mind sharing a link to the silicon wings ?

Mar 2, 2024 at 6:28 AM Post #74,188 of 75,237
These are the best I've got, they're flexib
and are perfect for CAX
Capture d’écran 2024-03-02 à 12.24.01.png

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 7:07 AM Post #74,189 of 75,237
I can't belive how FranQL could archive such vocal perfection on Blue Moons. They can look at same level to Calderas, with no compromise, on females songs like The Waltz (Acoustic Version) from Silje Nergaard. I am without words when I listen this little ones gems. Thank's Fran for making this artwork.

IMG_20240302_121249.jpg

Mar 2, 2024 at 7:19 AM Post #74,190 of 75,237
I can't belive how FranQL could archive such vocal perfection on Blue Moons. They can look at same level to Calderas, with no compromise, on females songs like The Waltz (Acoustic Version) from Silje Nergaard. I am without words when I listen this little ones gems. Thank's Fran for making this artwork.

It looks like a Gordie's cable, but which one? and do you prefer it to the original blue one?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back