Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 30, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #73,786 of 75,297
Something landed at my door today... Nobunaga Labs' Uguisu. I'm listening to these guys right now, straight out of the box (with foams on) and I am truly impressed.

From the few posts I've read about the Uguisu in this thread, they are well liked and for the extremely short time I've been listening to them, now I know why.

@jogawag posted this: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-17309423
@WoodyLuvr posted this: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-17765707
@gylyf posted this: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-17832887

Purchased through Amazon Japan with direct shipping to the US. Since everyone is so used to cheap or free shipping from AE, don't freak at the shipping cost. I'm just glad to be able to order from Amazon Japan without having to use a 3rd party shipping / forwarding company.

Nobunaga Lab's Uguisu 01.jpg's Uguisu 01.jpgNobunaga Lab's Uguisu 02.jpg's Uguisu 02.jpg
Nobunaga Lab's Uguisu 03.jpg's Uguisu 03.jpgNobunaga Lab's Uguisu 04.jpg's Uguisu 04.jpg
Uguisu has more treble clarity when used with mmcx silver-plated cable.

Jan 30, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #73,787 of 75,297
Something landed at my door today... Nobunaga Labs' Uguisu. I'm listening to these guys right now, straight out of the box (with foams on) and I am truly impressed.

From the few posts I've read about the Uguisu in this thread, they are well liked and for the extremely short time I've been listening to them, now I know why.

@jogawag posted this: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-17309423
@WoodyLuvr posted this: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-17765707
@gylyf posted this: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-17832887

Purchased through Amazon Japan with direct shipping to the US. Since everyone is so used to cheap or free shipping from AE, don't freak at the shipping cost. I'm just glad to be able to order from Amazon Japan without having to use a 3rd party shipping / forwarding company.

Nobunaga Lab's Uguisu 01.jpg's Uguisu 01.jpgNobunaga Lab's Uguisu 02.jpg's Uguisu 02.jpg
Nobunaga Lab's Uguisu 03.jpg's Uguisu 03.jpgNobunaga Lab's Uguisu 04.jpg's Uguisu 04.jpg
How much in greenbacks?

Jan 30, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #73,788 of 75,297
Uguisu has more treble clarity when used with mmcx silver-plated cable.
I might switch cable later, but I'm really just liking them with the standard cable... to stay "compliant" I'm going to have to look at some Nobunaga cables for these. Haha.

How much in greenbacks?
cost.png

Screen capture from the Amazon JP listing. Approx. $75 total. Also you will earn 81 Amazon JP points with the purchase (good toward future purchases).
You have to have / create an Amazon JP account, your normal US or other country Amazon login will not work.

Jan 30, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #73,789 of 75,297

Glad to see someone else enjoying these. I think they punch way above their price point (and they might be my most comfortable pair of buds, too).

Jan 30, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #73,790 of 75,297
Glad to see someone else enjoying these. I think they punch way above their price point (and they might be my most comfortable pair of buds, too).
Most definitely! These buds have really gone under the radar, but I'm glad I have a set now.

For those interested. I did a google translate of the back cover. The English name of these buds (google translated) is Warbler. Which is the bird on the front cover. These guys do sing!

Click picture to enlarge.

I just noticed the translation shows impedance 320, it's 32 Ohms.

Nobunaga Lab's Uguisu translated 02.jpg
Nobunaga Lab's Uguisu 02.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #73,791 of 75,297
My last build with Smabat shells.
I don't think that Lin (owner of Smabat) listens to them before putting them up for sale. Even his drivers are not good with these shells (female poison, ear bleeding, too shouty... you name it)
In the end... I'm glad I saved the money I spent on the M5pro.
BTW, I use 64ohm comp TI, this after several failed attempts with other drivers.

I've not found this to be the case with SMABAT - I've ranked 17 sets of earbuds now and whilst they aren't the best, they are far from the worst. (Just in defense of SMABAT here as I feel they do a lot to push the boundaries for earbud fans!). They probably are tuned for different tastes. Lun Sheng YE365 is a SMABAT build I think and sounds very nice for the price.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #73,792 of 75,297
I've not found this to be the case with SMABAT - I've ranked 17 sets of earbuds now and whilst they aren't the best, they are far from the worst. (Just in defense of SMABAT here as I feel they do a lot to push the boundaries for earbud fans!). They probably are tuned for different tastes. Lun Sheng YE365 is a SMABAT build I think and sounds very nice for the price.
What about everything that came after St10s and M2pro?
I'm a fan too, I like the idea of modular earbuds

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #73,795 of 75,297
IMG_20240131_191425_071920.jpg

I would like to know the threads opinion on this. Would storing your flats like this be better, or wrapping them up into a case be better? Keeping in mind that most flats cables(at least the ones I have) tend to get stiff up by the buds and start to crack.

I left a pair on the wall like this last night, hanging from a 3m hook. Woke to today and the cables were nice and straight. Not curled to once side like when you put them in a case. And I'm hanging them by the thicker part of the cable(before the splitter), so I don't think I'm putting stress on a fragile part of the cable.

Anyways, whats your opinion on this? Am I making a problem worst or making it better?

Sorry for the creepy photo.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #73,796 of 75,297
IMG_20240131_191425_071920.jpg
I would like to know the threads opinion on this. Would storing your flats like this be better, or wrapping them up into a case be better? Keeping in mind that most flats cables(at least the ones I have) tend to get stiff up by the buds and start to crack.

I left a pair on the wall like this last night, hanging from a 3m hook. Woke to today and the cables were nice and straight. Not curled to once side like when you put them in a case. And I'm hanging them by the thicker part of the cable(before the splitter), so I don't think I'm putting stress on a fragile part of the cable.

Anyways, whats your opinion on this? Am I making a problem worst or making it better?

I just lay them flat across a (long) table. But I agree, your method is good!

Jan 31, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #73,798 of 75,297
I currently own the Ry4s Plus and really enjoy their sound. I'm exploring other options and wondered if anyone could recommend earbuds that might offer even better performance within a budget of $50. Any suggestions or insights would be highly appreciated! Thanks!
You might look into the Temperament x6. It comes in under your budget and should punch way beyond than the ry4s. Granted this is just from reading though. But the x6 will be my next pair of flats. I'm laying in wait for a sale.

Feb 1, 2024 at 5:05 AM Post #73,800 of 75,297

I like wrapping mine in neat round nests and storing them in Ferrero Rocher cases lol. I also roll my most-used pairs and hang them on my mic stand for easy access without any problem.
IMG_20231202_065423.jpg
As for cable becoming stiff, there's nothing as far as I know of avoiding them other than changing the cable. But you can prolong the time before they become stiff by regularly cleaning or wiping them after use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back