Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 27, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #73,756 of 75,542
Does the Fengru emx500 sound pretty good? I'm eyeing it, if it's the same one

Edit: Yeah it's the same as yours. Same store
i love it, but at the same time it's nothing special? it's bright, and can easily fool you into thinking a sound is coming outside the room when it isn't. non-existent sub-bass. i don't bother connecting a dac for these earbuds, just straight out of the laptop. i think of it like old akg k141 monitor headphones minus 15% accuracy, so if you like that sort of sound this is definitely a great fit for you. it's the most comfortable thing on god's green earth. i suppose the same would be true of other earbuds. my last pair's cable lasted about 3 years before the insulation became stiff and started breaking the wires inside, i like these enough that i soldered it back together 5-6 times before giving in and buying a new pair. the cable splitter is of a terrible design in my opinion as it puts undue stress on the cable that is immediately next to it, and it's aluminium which makes it a bit difficult to remove. the one i bought from CKLewis in 2020 sounds the same as the one i bought from them now. i just mention this because someone else in this thread had differences between their two pairs of earbuds both labelled "fengru emx500"

Jan 27, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #73,757 of 75,542
i love it, but at the same time it's nothing special? it's bright, and can easily fool you into thinking a sound is coming outside the room when it isn't. non-existent sub-bass. i don't bother connecting a dac for these earbuds, just straight out of the laptop. i think of it like old akg k141 monitor headphones minus 15% accuracy, so if you like that sort of sound this is definitely a great fit for you. it's the most comfortable thing on god's green earth. i suppose the same would be true of other earbuds. my last pair's cable lasted about 3 years before the insulation became stiff and started breaking the wires inside, i like these enough that i soldered it back together 5-6 times before giving in and buying a new pair. the cable splitter is of a terrible design in my opinion as it puts undue stress on the cable that is immediately next to it, and it's aluminium which makes it a bit difficult to remove. the one i bought from CKLewis in 2020 sounds the same as the one i bought from them now. i just mention this because someone else in this thread had differences between their two pairs of earbuds both labelled "fengru emx500"
Thank you so much for the detailed response! If you went through soldering them 5-6 times cuz you liked them that much , then I think that's a great recommendation.

I'm gonna put them in my cart and get them on my next buy. Thank you!

A little off topic, but how do you prevent cables becoming stiff and start breaking? I took my Stellars out last night to see that they were stiff as hell and is splitting on the right side. Even the nice cable I have for my ry4s+ is starting to get a bit stiff above where the wire splits into two.

None of them are a huge deal to me. Stellars are like $3 and I can get another cable for the ry4s+. But I don't want to be constantly soldering cables into higher end pairs that I'll eventually get(ksearphone, rikubud, etc). So I'd like to prevent it before it starts. I usually house them in the little grey cinch bag that they come with...

Jan 28, 2024 at 2:49 AM Post #73,758 of 75,542
Hello, can you give a recommendation on max 20$ earbud. The only thing it will be used for is CS2. I use the apple dongle on my pc. What i have at the moment: Superlux hd668b, Headroom ms16, Vido blue, qkz x hbb (awful, no bass and harsh treble) and some other cheap unknow for me buds. That i have noticed so far is that brightest headphones earbuds with big soundstage are not that good (for me) in the game. I guess the footsteps are more in the bass range. So i use the vido to play. Can you give recommendation on earbuds with good bass and good soundstage and imaging in about 20$ range.
I have my eyes on: NiceHCK Traceless , FAAEAL Iris Ancestor, FAAEAL Earphones Iris 2.0 , KBEAR Stellar , YINCROW X6
The Yincrow X6 are sold on aliexpress from Nicehck store (described as new original) and VS audio store (2021 original), so are they any different, also is the difference in sound between the colors?
At last is it worth the 45$ price on Temperament X6?
Thank you.

Jan 28, 2024 at 4:57 AM Post #73,759 of 75,542
Hello, can you give a recommendation on max 20$ earbud. The only thing it will be used for is CS2. I use the apple dongle on my pc. What i have at the moment: Superlux hd668b, Headroom ms16, Vido blue, qkz x hbb (awful, no bass and harsh treble) and some other cheap unknow for me buds. That i have noticed so far is that brightest headphones earbuds with big soundstage are not that good (for me) in the game. I guess the footsteps are more in the bass range. So i use the vido to play. Can you give recommendation on earbuds with good bass and good soundstage and imaging in about 20$ range.
I have my eyes on: NiceHCK Traceless , FAAEAL Iris Ancestor, FAAEAL Earphones Iris 2.0 , KBEAR Stellar , YINCROW X6
The Yincrow X6 are sold on aliexpress from Nicehck store (described as new original) and VS audio store (2021 original), so are they any different, also is the difference in sound between the colors?
Thank you.
Your potential purchase candidates, NiceHCK Traceless , FAAEAL Iris Ancestor, FAAEAL Earphones Iris 2.0, YINCROW X6, Temperament X6 (new version of LBBS bass extension) are listed below @RikudouGoku earbuds ranking.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...7HEfP8AI1zxswrMw2ho/edit?pli=1#gid=1993578568

I agree with this earbuds ranking.
Therefore your purchase of Temperament X6 is well worth it.

By the way, as for the KBEAR Stellar and the difference between the old and new YINCROW X6, I think you can ignore that.

Edit: LBBS was the previous version of Temperament X6 and extended the bass to it, becoming Temperament X6.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 5:07 AM Post #73,760 of 75,542
Your potential purchase candidates, NiceHCK Traceless , FAAEAL Iris Ancestor, FAAEAL Earphones Iris 2.0, YINCROW X6, YINCROW X6, Temperament X6 (new version of LBBS bass extension) are listed below @RikudouGoku earbuds ranking.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...7HEfP8AI1zxswrMw2ho/edit?pli=1#gid=1993578568

Therefore your purchase of Temperament X6 is well worth it.

By the way, as for the KBEAR Stellar and the difference between the old and new YINCROW X6, I think you can ignore that.
I've never seen his rankings. Thanks for posting that

I almost got the Monk SM.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 5:10 AM Post #73,761 of 75,542
prevent cables becoming stiff and start breaking?
on that question i'll pass to the others in the thread; i would like to know too. is the insulation polyvinyl cloride (PVC)? on more rubbery type insulation used for studio monitors this doesn't happen even in multiple decades of daily use, but the earbuds often do it

what can be done to prevent cable insulation becoming stiff and brittle?

Jan 28, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #73,762 of 75,542
on that question i'll pass to the others in the thread; i would like to know too. is the insulation polyvinyl cloride (PVC)? on more rubbery type insulation used for studio monitors this doesn't happen even in multiple decades of daily use, but the earbuds often do it

what can be done to prevent cable insulation becoming stiff and brittle?

Generally, try to avoid heat and sun-exposure, which may make the cables stiff and brittle.

Jan 28, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #73,763 of 75,542
Thank you @jeejack !! The drivers are wonderful (64ohm ti) and my friend is really liking them! I hand braided the cable and made the splitter myself on my 3d printer, since I wanted some personal touch. They definitely sound awesome.
DSC_05502.jpg
DSC_05512.jpg

Jan 28, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #73,766 of 75,542
Thank you.
I have a set of the Temperament X6 and they are worth it. Average pricing I see on AE is US$38.00 right now. For $45 to 55, you should be able to order the Temperament X6 with the standard 3.5mmSE and optional 4.4mmBal cable (you get both cables).

Your potential purchase candidates, NiceHCK Traceless , FAAEAL Iris Ancestor, FAAEAL Earphones Iris 2.0, YINCROW X6, Temperament X6 (new version of LBBS bass extension) are listed below @RikudouGoku earbuds ranking.

I've never seen his rankings. Thanks for posting that

I almost got the Monk SM.
It's too bad Riku no longer reviews or ranks earbuds anymore. He stopped doing that when he became a Member of the Trade and started making and selling his own buds. I guess that causes a conflict of interest for him. He does continue to review and rank other head gear when he has the time.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #73,767 of 75,542
It's too bad Riku no longer reviews or ranks earbuds anymore. He stopped doing that when he became a Member of the Trade and started making and selling his own buds. I guess that causes a conflict of interest for him. He does continue to review and rank other head gear when he has the time.
Yeah cuz it's nice to have a quality sheet like that(crinacle has one for iem's). I'm not saying his opinion is the end all be all, but it's nice to have something from someone that knows flats really well.

Edit: Are the diy's from the Qigom store in Ali usually good quality? I couldn't find a lot of info of the ones being currently sold from that store

Edit Again: Are these considered good foams? I've never used the donut foams. Kind of curious on the sound with these.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #73,769 of 75,542
Yeah cuz it's nice to have a quality sheet like that(crinacle has one for iem's). I'm not saying his opinion is the end all be all, but it's nice to have something from someone that knows flats really well.

Edit: Are the diy's from the Qigom store in Ali usually good quality? I couldn't find a lot of info of the ones being currently sold from that store

Edit Again: Are these considered good foams? I've never used the donut foams. Kind of curious on the sound with these.
I've never bought any diy buds from the Qigom store. If anyone here has, hopefully they'll chime in.

Those are HieGi foams, which are excellent. HieGi foams are high density foams and their batch to batch consistency is very good. The general strategy with earbud foams is to have a couple different foam densities on hand to fine tune an earbud's sound / fit. Good example is the Fiio FF5 and FF3 standard foam sets. They have "bass"= high density, "balanced"= medium density, and "crisp"= donut foam. If your buds are lacking some high end (for instance high mids / treble roll off) and you're using full foams (bass / balanced), you could try donut foams to try recovering some of that high end. On that same note, if the buds are somewhat bright, you may be able to tame them / improve the bass by using full foams.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #73,770 of 75,542
I've never bought any diy buds from the Qigom store. If anyone here has, hopefully they'll chime in.

Those are HieGi foams, which are excellent. HieGi foams are high density foams and their batch to batch consistency is very good. The general strategy with earbud foams is to have a couple different foam densities on hand to fine tune an earbud's sound / fit. Good example is the Fiio FF5 and FF3 standard foam sets. They have "bass"= high density, "balanced"= medium density, and "crisp"= donut foam. If your buds are lacking some high end (for instance high mids / treble roll off) and you're using full foams (bass / balanced), you could try donut foams to try recovering some of that high end. On that same note, if the buds are somewhat bright, you may be able to tame them / improve the bass by using full foams.
Ok. I'll take one for the team and get a Qigom diy on my next purchase.

And thanks for the detailed explanation. It's good to know that I picked some quality donuts right off the bat! I was using my Vido's last night(I forgot how good these sound) and was thinking these would be perfect with a little more bass. So that's cool that foams are like tips for iem's. So i guess that would be called foam rolling?

Anyways thanks again for the info. You're appreciated

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back