Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 6, 2024 at 3:39 AM Post #73,501 of 75,273
Jan 6, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #73,502 of 75,273
Good to see you on here bud!

Happy to have a few moments to come back!

And to @Brillig : That's definitely the first time I've been called a sage. Seriously though, your quote is core advice that anyone in this hobby can benefit from. Also, the only person I know who spent significant time in the Himilayas isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer and wouldn't become a wise man no matter how much time he spent there. 😂

Jan 6, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #73,503 of 75,273
20240106_153913.jpg

Most of my stuff has finally shown up. Unfortunately, it's supposed to storm all week and I don't have an indoor workshop.

Jan 7, 2024 at 12:17 AM Post #73,504 of 75,273
The Yinman 600ohm and the 300ohm blue PET driver that I used for @mt877 's DnD build are the first high impedance buds I've listened to. But they both share an impact or note weight that is more intense than previous buds I've listened to. The Yinman on the low end, and the DnD build on the high end.

Is this a characteristic of higher impedance drivers?

Jan 7, 2024 at 1:31 AM Post #73,505 of 75,273
I've been on break for quite a while. I haven't had any chance to use any of my gear because of how busy the holidays are for me. We've been going on trips, parties and visiting temples. I bought so many souvenirs. I wish I could give you guys some haha. Anyways, after the holidays, I'm free again to listen to my gear. My first choice is my newly acquired 600 ohm bery last year's Christmas. Good thing my tinnitus finally calmed down, and I can appreciate how good it is. Now I can finally understand my friend's reaction to them.😂
IMG_20240107_142000.jpg
The Yinman 600ohm and the 300ohm blue PET driver that I used for @mt877 's DnD build are the first high impedance buds I've listened to. But they both share an impact or note weight that is more intense than previous buds I've listened to. The Yinman on the low end, and the DnD build on the high end.

It's probably because of the amount of windings of the voice coil in higher impedance drivers.🤷‍♀️

Most of my stuff has finally shown up. Unfortunately, it's supposed to storm all week and I don't have an indoor workshop.
Good luck and have fun with them.😉

Also welcome back @JAnonymous5150!

Jan 7, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #73,507 of 75,273

I think a lot has to do with the shells in use and the tuning. The 300 ohm PET is used in the TGXear Serratus which uses the MX500 shell and specific tuning. The Serratus have some very deep bass combined with detailed high end. I think while that DnD build does sound nice in its own way, it's just a starting point, further optimization could be achieved through tuning, but there are limits to what can be achieved with tuning and driver / shell combinations, so you tune for what sounds best, but it may not be optimal due to driver and shell characteristics. To overcome that, switching to a different driver or shell and more tuning may be the only option. Ah, the fun and challenges of DIY.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #73,508 of 75,273
So I finally bit the bullet and ordered another pair of Yinman 600 (the faces of my first pair came loose and one channel cut out) from AVCCK (from whom I ordered the first pair). I was first informed there would be a delay and then was informed the package had been returned by the shipper (prior to leaving China). Upon being asked if I wished to reorder, I agreed, only to be later informed that the parcel had again been returned from the shipper prior to leaving China. No explanation as to why. My money was, upon my request, refunded by Aliexpress.
Oof, I also had my Yinman 600 returned before arriving from AVCCK too. They said it was a logistics error and I could reorder but I don't think I will now. I did get a refund, but I did not get my 11/11 coupon back. It actually took a month after the original order for it to even ship because they asked me what plug I wanted, and AliExpress does not show that you have new messages in the UI which is so stupid, what a garbage website lol.

AVCCK seemed really nice and responsive in messages, but it's clear they have some bad issues to work out right now.

Jan 7, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #73,509 of 75,273

From my limited experience I think high impedance drivers improve the dynamics, background detail and separation as they are driven harder so there is more headroom. But I don't hear much improvements from like 120ohm to 600ohm.

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #73,511 of 75,273
Anyone also interested in this wooden bud?
Screenshot_20240108_083237_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240108_083205_Gallery.jpg
I am for sure. I love wood.

Anyone have experience making that kind of shell? What kind of tools would you need? Working to the tolerances needed to fit components and faceplates, and also not accidentally chipping away bits that you need must be challenging. I'd love to try.

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #73,512 of 75,273
Jan 7, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #73,513 of 75,273
Oh that's cool!

I can imagine that the grain of the wood or imperfections could have a significant effect on sound. Same as if you're making a violin I guess.
They have the extra difficulty of needing reproduceable results for each shell. If one were doing it as a hobby, you wouldn't need to make sure you could make 50 of them the same. Although at least you would want to make sure there were no big differences between left and right.

Jan 8, 2024 at 6:26 AM Post #73,514 of 75,273
Oh that's cool!

I can imagine that the grain of the wood or imperfections could have a significant effect on sound. Same as if you're making a violin I guess.
They have the extra difficulty of needing reproduceable results for each shell. If one were doing it as a hobby, you wouldn't need to make sure you could make 50 of them the same. Although at least you would want to make sure there were no big differences between left and right.
Tbh wood poses a lot of inconsistencies and there's a big chance of them cracking or warping. That's why I tend to steer away from them after trying a few despite looking good.IMG_20240108_192424.jpg
Stab wood on the other hand, is pretty consistent. Lee from Venture Electronic talked about this quite a while back.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-16386074

Jan 8, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #73,515 of 75,273
I am for sure. I love wood.

Anyone have experience making that kind of shell? What kind of tools would you need? Working to the tolerances needed to fit components and faceplates, and also not accidentally chipping away bits that you need must be challenging. I'd love to try.

I receive a - "403 Forbidden / You don't have permission to access the URL on this server."

But, if you have a way to secure the small block of wood, something like one of these Mini CNC Machines could probably be programmed to mill the required shapes -
https://www.amazon.com/Mini-CNC-Machine/s?k=Mini+CNC+Machine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back