Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 5, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #73,486 of 75,518
BTW, am I the only one who finds the fit on the OG FF3 to be better than the fit on the FF3S? The wider/larger stem on the new model seems to prevent them from settling in to my ear as securely as the OGs do. I know I have seen some people talk about having some trouble with the fit, but I never have. Just wondering...

Jan 5, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #73,487 of 75,518
both sides are failing, the right side more than the left. If it's a wiring failiure I'm guessing the buds are toast?
It could be re-cabled if you're handy with that kind of stuff, otherwise it's time to get a new set. Ksearphone / Temperament have released a newer version, the X series which features a partially replaceable cable.

X10 = lowest end, X6 = LBS / LBBS, X3 cost more, but not sure if they = LBS / LBBS but with different colored shells and comes with both 3.5mmSE / 4.4mmBal cables as standard. X6 can be had with just 3.5mmSE (approx. $38) or with both 3.5mmSE and 4.4mmBal cables (approx. $53).

Jan 5, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #73,488 of 75,518
BTW, am I the only one who finds the fit on the OG FF3 to be better than the fit on the FF3S? The wider/larger stem on the new model seems to prevent them from settling in to my ear as securely as the OGs do. I know I have seen some people talk about having some trouble with the fit, but I never have. Just wondering...
You're right. The FF3S OG cable has a little twist on my set that wants to work the left side out of my ear consistently. No problems with the upgrade cable, both sides are stable.

Jan 5, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #73,490 of 75,518
Could the 4.4 jack itself be replaced with 3.5 one from the stock cable set? (that link shows 4.4 only at the moment)
Only the OG cable is designed for replaceable plugs. The upgrade cable is a fixed 4.4mmBal plug so you would have to get a female 4.4mmBal to male 3.5mmSE adapter.

Jan 5, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #73,491 of 75,518

Personally, I find the OG FF3 to have worse ergonomics for my ears. The predecessor FF3 is much heavier in weight (it feels like it weighs almost double of the FF3S?), and causes ear fatigue or tends to drop out when I'm moving about. YMMV of course.

Jan 5, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #73,492 of 75,518
I decided to mention the RW-4000s specifically because I happened to cruise by here and saw that some folks were interested in them so I figured I'd make some time to put together a short impressions post.

I think all the regulars here know that the RW-3000s are one of my absolute favorite pairs of buds so when I saw that the 4000s were coming out, I knew I just had to hear them. I'm trying to temper my expectations, but it's hard to not be super excited at the possibilities. Point being, I'll definitely post some thoughts once I've gotten to listen to them, for sure.
Welcome back, bro! I, for one, have missed your always positive and perceptive input here. Hope you have been well and productive! Looking forward to your impressions on the RW-4000. They are pricey for sure, but definitely very intriguing.

Jan 5, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #73,493 of 75,518
Personally, I find the OG FF3 to have worse ergonomics for my ears. The predecessor FF3 is much heavier in weight (it feels like it weighs almost double of the FF3S?), and causes ear fatigue or tends to drop out when I'm moving about. YMMV of course.
I have the best success with the FF3 by wearing them stem up, cable over ear.

Jan 5, 2024 at 11:59 PM Post #73,494 of 75,518
I have the best success with the FF3 by wearing them stem up, cable over ear.

Ah ok, no wonder. I use all my flatheads cable down.

But due to the different fitting, there are sonic differences when the same IEM is used cable down or over-ears too haha, so another big can of worms!

Jan 6, 2024 at 12:33 AM Post #73,495 of 75,518
I decided to mention the RW-4000s specifically because I happened to cruise by here and saw that some folks were interested in them so I figured I'd make some time to put together a short impressions post.

I think all the regulars here know that the RW-3000s are one of my absolute favorite pairs of buds so when I saw that the 4000s were coming out, I knew I just had to hear them. I'm trying to temper my expectations, but it's hard to not be super excited at the possibilities. Point being, I'll definitely post some thoughts once I've gotten to listen to them, for sure.
Welcome back, bro! I, for one, have missed your always positive and perceptive input here. Hope you have been well and productive! Looking forward to your impressions on the RW-4000. They are pricey for sure, but definitely very intriguing.

I'm also super excited about these. I can't buy them blind, but I also love the RW-3000, so if they are anything like an upgrade I will definitely pull that trigger.

But due to the different fitting, there are sonic differences when the same IEM is used cable down or over-ears too haha, so another big can of worms!

I was surprised to see a lot of people wearing RW-3000 over the ears. To my ears, they really open up when worn cable down, particularly in soundstage. They do have that off-centre shape though, and that actually fits the lower notch in my earlobe. In centered earbuds like mx500, if I pull on the cable it will pull the buds out of alignment. But that doesn't happen when I wear the RW-3000 cable down. So its a matter of their shape perfectly fitting my ear shape. They sit very differently when over-ear, so it's not surprising that the sound changes.

I think it is a pretty clear example of why people can't agree on how buds sound.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #73,496 of 75,518

Thanks for the kind words, brother! I miss you guys too. As @mt877 mentioned, I have been insanely busy, but I'll be trying to check in more often. I definitely miss kickin' it here with you guys. 👍😎

Edit: Keep your eyes peeled around next Friday or Saturday and I should have something up about my initial impressions on the RW-4000s. I'm just hoping they keep up the progression we've seen in the series so far. I can't wait to find out!

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 12:43 AM Post #73,497 of 75,518
I'm also super excited about these. I can't buy them blind, but I also love the RW-3000, so if they are anything like an upgrade I will definitely pull that trigger.

When I saw the RW-4000s were coming out, my first thought was to wait for some impressions/reviews, but then I spent the next 48 hours obsessing over just how they might try to improve the RW-3000s and realized resistance was futile. I ended up ordering them and crossing my fingers. 😂 Though I have to say that I have yet to be disappointed by any of the RW series buds I have tried so I felt like it wasn't as big of a gamble as some other blind guys I have made in the past. I decided I'd just call it an early birthday present to myself. 😜

Jan 6, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #73,498 of 75,518

I was surprised to see a lot of people wearing RW-3000 over the ears. To my ears, they really open up when worn cable down, particularly in soundstage. They do have that off-centre shape though, and that actually fits the lower notch in my earlobe. In centered earbuds like mx500, if I pull on the cable it will pull the buds out of alignment. But that doesn't happen when I wear the RW-3000 cable down. So its a matter of their shape perfectly fitting my ear shape. They sit very differently when over-ear, so it's not surprising that the sound changes.

I think it is a pretty clear example of why people can't agree on how buds sound.
To my humble mind, this is greatly/mostly an example of how we all have different sizes and shapes of ears! This has, of course, been discussed a lot on this forum... For me, the RW-3000 -- and, in fact, many or most of my buds -- are much less secure in my ears when worn cable down, and so have a non-optimal sound. Worn cable up and over ear, they have a much better seal, with fuller, more extended sound. Obviously, Your Mileage Will Vary if you have a different sized or shaped ear than I do! I guess this is why we all need to try different buds, wearing positions, foams, rings, ear hooks, etc. and so on until we get it right for our own ears. But for me the whole journey is worth it and, in a weird way, part of the fun.

Jan 6, 2024 at 12:58 AM Post #73,499 of 75,518
we all need to try different buds, wearing positions, foams, rings, ear hooks, etc. and so on until we get it right for our own ears.

Wise words from a wise man...

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:22 AM Post #73,500 of 75,518
Wise words from a wise man...
Wise man or wise guy? Coming from one of the Great Sages of this thread, high praise indeed... I think I would have to go to the Himalayas (or perhaps Hogwart's) for an extended number of lifetimes to earn it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back