Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 2, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #72,152 of 75,162
I would kinda like something not quite as bright as a complement, but what I can't compromise on is the instrument separation, detail, and soundstage.
It is interesting. Orchestra conductors want from instruments to sound as a whole.

Nov 2, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #72,153 of 75,162
The RW2000 is quite balanced in tuning, U-shaped fare which synergizes well with most music genres. It is considered one of the more all-rounder TOTL earbuds in earbud forums, and is the most used earbud in my collection. Soundstage of the RW2000 easily beats most IEMs, which sound "in your head" in comparison. Sub-bass is not too bad for a earbud too, where most other earbuds have a dearth in this area due to physics.

For orchestral tracks based on your first post, I think the RW2000 does splendidly. I don't listen to metal, but I understand metal needs a fast bass? But once again, let me reinforce that most earbuds (even TOTL ones) may not compete with midFI planar IEMs in terms of sheer resolution and transients, and that is the case here, due to the different transducers pros and cons.

As for fit/comfort, that is very subjective in earbuds, due to our different ear anatomies. But the RW2000 can be worn over ears or cable down, so this increases fit permutations. If you find the earbud doesn't fit well (too small girth), you can add silicone rings or even 2 layers of foams to increase the diameter of the earbud to fit better in the ear.

I just read this, basically I reached my endgame with IEMs after long journey so few days back I grabbed my limited collection of my earbuds and still prefer the yincrow RW-9 among others (because of the sub bass focus without midbass and upper bass bleed) and decent details for an earbuds.

How is the RW-2000 compared to RW-9? Or any recommended earbuds with the best bass that have sub bass focus rather than midbass focus? I don't mind cheapo ones as long as sounded good, don't intend to chase TOTL earbuds, just casual listening when my inner ears are "tired" so like temporary replacement for IEMs

Anyone beside our good buddy @baskingshark can recommend me also since I have only little experience in earbuds

Nov 2, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #72,154 of 75,162
I just read this, basically I reached my endgame with IEMs after long journey so few days back I grabbed my limited collection of my earbuds and still prefer the yincrow RW-9 among others (because of the sub bass focus without midbass and upper bass bleed) and decent details for an earbuds.

How is the RW-2000 compared to RW-9? Or any recommended earbuds with the best bass that have sub bass focus rather than midbass focus? I don't mind cheapo ones as long as sounded good, don't intend to chase TOTL earbuds, just casual listening when my inner ears are "tired" so like temporary replacement for IEMs

Anyone beside our good buddy @baskingshark can recommend me also since I have only little experience in earbuds

Welcome to the earbud rabbithole!

Earbuds are actually closer to open backed headphones than IEMs - so earbuds beat most IEMs in soundstage easily, but they mostly lack sub-bass/isolation due to no seal.
Most earbuds are hence mid-bass focused, but there are exceptions like the Smabat series, which utilize a lengthened acoustic tube to let treble frequencies decay and hence boost sub-bass, but those are uncommon in earbuds. And usually the Smabat earbuds are at around midFI territory which is > $50 USD, and they have a 3 kHz peak as part of their house sound, which some might find shouty.

Do you have an amp? I think something with good bass that is quite decent for $12ish USD is the Faaeal Rosemary. It is warm and thick with a huge bass, but has 150 ohm impedance, so it requires amplification.

I have not tried the RW9 so have to let the others reply on this. Earbuds are generally not as detailed as equivalently priced IEMs, but you get an open sound with superb timbre and a very natural soundscape (most are single DD).

Nov 2, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #72,155 of 75,162
don't intend to chase TOTL earbuds
Haha, that's what we all said in the beginning :ksc75smile:

It is interesting. Orchestra conductors want from instruments to sound as a whole.
I don't know the conductor's intention, but if you go see an orchestra, the separate instruments are not all coming from a single point. It doesn't seem to be something that everyone values, but to me having good instrument separation makes the earbuds sound more natural (and dynamic), and I value that a lot.

Nov 2, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #72,156 of 75,162
I don't know the conductor's intention, but if you go see an orchestra, the separate instruments are not all coming from a single point. It doesn't seem to be something that everyone values, but to me having good instrument separation makes the earbuds sound more natural (and dynamic), and I value that a lot.
Unfortunately there is a very complicated path between instruments and what we get on our players output. I mean multi-mic recording, mixing, creating artificial stage with FX and so on. To my taste almost all tracks results in.. well, again, in artificial stage, and I'm not lucky to not be exited with it. I would prefer not-so-near mic recordings with minimal DSP. But most listeners want these stages and separations, and I lost this game.

At any case flathead earbuds almost eliminate this pain for me in comparison with IEMs.

Nov 2, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #72,157 of 75,162
Nov 2, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #72,158 of 75,162
Unfortunately there is a very complicated path between instruments and what we get on our players output. I mean multi-mic recording, mixing, creating artificial stage with FX and so on. To my taste almost all tracks results in.. well, again, in artificial stage, and I'm not lucky to not be exited with it. I would prefer not-so-near mic recordings with minimal DSP. But most listeners want these stages and separations, and I lost this game.

At any case flathead earbuds almost eliminate this pain for me in comparison with IEMs.
I get what you mean with artificial stage. It is definitely not a real representation of where the instruments actually were (especially since they could even have been recorded in different studios), but to me it sounds like a more natural representation than the instruments sounding compressed together.

However, there are a lot of buds that don't separate very much, leading to a much more intimate presentation. I think that the FF5 is a good example of this. So that kind would probably be more up your alley than something that appeals to me.

Nov 2, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #72,159 of 75,162

Fiio FF3 are decent bass focused buds

Nov 2, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #72,160 of 75,162

Broadly speaking, I think it's fair to call the RW-2000 a fairly direct upgrade to RW-9, sound quality-wise. I hear both the upper and lower ends extension better and more detailed. RW-2000 leans a little toward neutral (in a good way to me).

One thing to be aware of is fit. Shells are definitely a different shape between the two. It took me a bit to work out the RW-2000 fit, but once I did, they became one of my favorite sets.

Nov 2, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #72,161 of 75,162
Nov 2, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #72,162 of 75,162
Hi to all.
Please need advice - for heavy music better EM5 or Yinman 600? Focus on quality of bass (not quantity) and scene.
Thank you.

Nov 2, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #72,163 of 75,162
I have 5 or 6 high quality buds, but it's not like I rotate them out depending on mood or anything. I just end up disappointed whenever I listen to any of them that is not the RW3000, so the others are just for convenience if the cable I'm using for RW3000 doesn't match what I need at the time.

I don't think the RW3000 is perfect, but considering my habits, it would be a waste to buy anything that I don't like as much, so I'm being really careful with future purchases. I would kinda like something not quite as bright as a complement, but what I can't compromise on is the instrument separation, detail, and soundstage.

I have a question for you guys who use earbuds on the desktop. Does anyone have a convenient system for hanging them up or something? Like you'd use for a headphone stand? For my over ears, I just hang them on something nearby and it's relatively convenient. I like to have a longer cable for desktop, and if I just put the earbuds down on the desk, they get tangled or the cord drags them down onto the floor (with my cat's help sometimes).

Edit: Something like this maybe? https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ven...ns-and-discussion-thread.795734/post-12522364
Not what you were looking for at all, but this is my system (more or less)... :
20220807_181735.jpg
Bad part is that there isn't enough room for them all, so some go into the drawer... :)
Hi all,

Haven’t been a part of the community for long but wanted help with a general search since google isn’t really helping and I figured you all would know more.

So I’ve been in search for a pair of flat head earbuds for gaming and have absolutely fallen in love with the Fiio FF1/2/3 collection and currently use the FF1 as my dedicated set since it has an in line mic that isnt terrible.

Are there any other flat head style buds with an inline mic that could replace my current set up? (For clarification I predominantly travel with a PS5 so an in-line is much easier to keep up with or not forget about)
For the money I think the FF1 are probably the best sound you will get with an inline mic (AFAIK). I am sure there plenty of others out there, but I am not sure I would call them better or not.

Having said that, you could order something with a replaceable cable (i.e. Yincrow RW2000, RW3000, etc..) that you simply need to buy a cheap cable online (that has a mic), and replace the stock cable with. :)

Like was mentioned, there aren't a ton of "store bought" buds that have a sub bass focus. Most use mid bass to adapt for the fact that they aren't as capable of sub bass. I find that the FiiO FF3 and the Yinman 2.0 600 have very deep and articulated bass though.

If you want both quality and quantity for sub bass, I suggest some DIY buds like Rikubuds (as an example).... I have some DIY buds (though admittedly not from Riku) that have deeper bass, and more quantity of bass (hmm both quantity AND quality) than quite a few IEMs I have, so it CAN be done. There just aren't too many store bought ones that will do it easily...

I would also have to agree that some of the Smabat buds do have VERY deep bass. The ST10S B&G (150ohm) have some really amazing sub bass, and they DO take quite a bit of EQ if desiring an increase in the quantity. I have found that these have a lot less of their "house" sound than some more contemporary buds. I am not sure if you can still get them or not. The last I looked they weren't discontinued, but since they are coming out with a new set, they might be.

You should give this a listen then. It sounds amazing on anything that has even half-way decent staging, and while it is in multi mics, it is "not-so-near-the-mic" that really give your ears a chance to locate distance and etc.... Just a thought that you might/might not enjoy. :wink:
Hi to all.
Please need advice - for heavy music better EM5 or Yinman 600? Focus on quality of bass (not quantity) and scene.
Thank you.
If by heavy you mean metal, and the like, then (for my ears) the Yinman are absolutely magnificent. While they DO have some fair amount of quantity of bass, the quality is pretty apparent (to me). And scene is up there among some of the best (as long as you are driving them well). But, as always, YMMV, and this is just my $.02!

Nov 2, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #72,164 of 75,162
You should give this a listen then. It sounds amazing on anything that has even half-way decent staging, and while it is in multi mics, it is "not-so-near-the-mic" that really give your ears a chance to locate distance and etc.... Just a thought that you might/might not enjoy. :wink:
Spotify doesn't work in my country. At any case it seems I wasn't sufficiently clear. In fact, I don't say about some kind of "natural stage" - the last one isn't the aim. Say, jazz of fifties is often recorded with very "direct" stereo in mind, for example sax on the left and others on the right. It is absolutely good for me (as well as mono). I just don't like (and flathead buds help to live with it) mixing engineers' attempts to create artificial stage. I feel a lie with it. But, as was mentioned above, I lost this game. Almost everybody is happy with it.

Nov 2, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #72,165 of 75,162
Spotify doesn't work in my country. At any case it seems I wasn't sufficiently clear. In fact, I don't say about some kind of "natural stage" - the last one isn't the aim. Say, jazz of fifties is often recorded with very "direct" stereo in mind, for example sax on the left and others on the right. It is absolutely good for me (as well as mono). I just don't like (and flathead buds help to live with it) mixing engineers' attempts to create artificial stage. I feel a lie with it. But, as was mentioned above, I lost this game. Almost everybody is happy with it.
Oh, I understand. :)

So, straight up and simple panning then?! One of my favorites of this type is:

It wasn't until the 70's that "quadrophics" were introduced (similar to today's 4.0 surround sound), but binaural has been around for a long time (the act of recording to a dummy with a mic on each ear, or simply put two microphones) that was supposed to give more depth as well as width than simple panning did. :)

I like all those things as well (as well as mono; I have every album that the Stones put out on mono only :)). Having said that, I do also enjoy a super wide sound stage, to go along with all the wonderful technicalities that head gear offers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back