Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 30, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #71,477 of 75,761
Still very funny and intriguing. By the way, i don’t really use daps.
Dac is the RME and amps = phonitor XE, liquid platinum and the THX from monoprice…
Power is never an issue for me.
Re: Power... then you're good to go with any head gear that comes your way.

Aug 30, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #71,479 of 75,761
Congrats on your (other) new shiny! :)

Do you plan on writing a full review of both of these, or just give some impressions? Either way, let me/us know?!

Awesome! Looking forward to getting my set (which SHOULD be this week according to tracking) also. As always, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on new gear. :)
Impressions

Aug 30, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #71,480 of 75,761
I’ve been binging on the TGX buds lately but I might want to look elsewhere as the flagship is now 700USD which put it in very very rough competition i think.
I guess that means you haven't found your end game set of earbuds then. Of course that's what keeps all of us going in this hobby. There is always something better just around the corner and we can never reach our horizon because when we take a step forward our horizon also moves as well. Ah, the joy of the hunt, head gear nirvana is within reach, but it's hard to grasp it. Well, there may be fleeting moments when you think you've grasped it, but then you return to reality... and the hunt begins anew.

Aug 30, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #71,481 of 75,761
I guess that means you haven't found your end game set of earbuds then. Of course that's what keeps all of us going in this hobby. There is always something better just around the corner and we can never reach our horizon because when we take a step forward our horizon also moves as well. Ah, the joy of the hunt, head gear nirvana is within reach, but it's hard to grasp it. Well, there may be fleeting moments when you think you've grasped it, but then you return to reality... and the hunt begins anew.
ahhahahaha !!!! You are one hell of a funny guy ! Keep on writing my friend. Everything you say is true of course. Also thanks for the reality check. Am I a hunter or a bugman ? I wonder, as these two opposites sometimes meet.

Aug 30, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #71,484 of 75,761
It is interesting, Ks DB1 and RW-3000 are beyond the top.
Simply different personal preferences in regards to signatures. So my rankings are quite subjective. Just under my Top Ten table are my Honorable Mentions which does include the RW-3000 which I liked. I don't like the tuning of the DB1 or DB1e and of course after my well documented nightmare experience with my K's 凯 Temperament Bell-Ti 钛铃 I probably will never own a Ks again.

Aug 31, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #71,485 of 75,761
Longyao-Yinman 600 LE
The picture of the buds in the store link is not updated. The shell is all wood and painted black. Default plug is 3.5mmSE, you have to message the seller and request a different plug if you want 4.4mm Balanced. I'm not sure if they offer 2.5mm Balanced.
Great write-up! BTW! They do indeed sell it with a 2.5mm balanced connector. That is how I ordered mine. :)

Aug 31, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #71,486 of 75,761
got the dunu alpha 3 today and couldnt stand them any longer than 10 minutes (after 20 mintes of warming them up with mixed tunes). it was like icicles were shot thru my eardrums with every single note from 1k upwards. i come more and more to the conclusion that asian manudfacturers and audience preferences are incompatible with my hearing perception. how could one not here that these loud upper mids and treble have nothing todo with reality? when i sit in the middle of the gasteig which is a concert hall in munich which is well known for good acoustics and listen to the Alpensinfonie there is no way, that cymbals, strings and trumpets would come out as prominent, catching all of your focus. it is a much less expressive but much more homogeneous experience in reality. with the Alphas i cannot hear anything else but that terrorizing snare drum in most songs. they feel twice as heavy as the already too heavy ff3s too.
even tho the creative aurvana live is too bright in the treble (not in upper midrange) they are like a silky pillow that try to heal my ears now, what a relief .... bad day in my book

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #71,487 of 75,761
got the dunu alpha 3 today and couldnt stand them any longer than 10 minutes (after 20 mintes of warming them up with mixed tunes). it was like icicles were shot thru my eardrums with every single note from 1k upwards. i come more and more to the conclusion that asian manudfacturers and audience preferences are incompatible with my hearing perception. how could one not here that these loud upper mids and treble have nothing todo with reality? when i sit in the middle of the gasteig which is a concert hall in munich which is well known for good acoustics and listen to the Alpensinfonie there is no way, that cymbals, strings and trumpets would come out as prominent, catching all of your focus. it is a much less expressive and homogeneous experience in reality. with the Alphas i cannot hear anything else but that terrorizing snare drum in most songs. they feel twice as heavy as the already too heavy ff3s too.
will stay with the iris for now... bad day in my book
Even with foams on? That sounds like you tried them with no foams, but if that's how they sounded with foams you got a defective unit. At any rate, it sucks that your experience was that awful :frowning2:

Aug 31, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #71,488 of 75,761
it is a much less expressive but much more homogeneous experience in reality
Another additional problem here is sound engineers almost always use microphones placed close to artists/instruments. That is for sounds rather for music (to my taste).

Aug 31, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #71,489 of 75,761
got the dunu alpha 3 today and couldnt stand them any longer than 10 minutes (after 20 mintes of warming them up with mixed tunes). it was like icicles were shot thru my eardrums with every single note from 1k upwards. i come more and more to the conclusion that asian manudfacturers and audience preferences are incompatible with my hearing perception. how could one not here that these loud upper mids and treble have nothing todo with reality? when i sit in the middle of the gasteig which is a concert hall in munich which is well known for good acoustics and listen to the Alpensinfonie there is no way, that cymbals, strings and trumpets would come out as prominent, catching all of your focus. it is a much less expressive but much more homogeneous experience in reality. with the Alphas i cannot hear anything else but that terrorizing snare drum in most songs. they feel twice as heavy as the already too heavy ff3s too.
even tho the creative aurvana live is too bright in the treble (not in upper midrange) they are like a silky pillow that try to heal my ears now, what a relief .... bad day in my book
You should maybe give the "bass" foams from the FF3 a try on these. I get what you are saying, though I find these much less offensive than other sets I have listened to. DUNU is known to have a boosted pina region as a house signature (from my experience).

It is a good thing that you aren't trying to listen to the Smabat ST20 (pro). Now, THOSE are ice picks going straight into your ears.... :wink:

Aug 31, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #71,490 of 75,761
I hate to say this on a head gear forum, but using any head gear to listen to anything is not equal to reality, rather it's enhanced / altered (good or bad) reality. For instance in live performances or listening to music through loud speakers at home you would never hear tiny "micro" and "macro" details in music, ok, maybe unless you're an individual gifted with "golden ears". Head gear is to sound the equivalent of using a magnifying glass to read a book in a sense. I guess that is what makes it so challenging to find head gear that will match your listening preferences. But the search continues... LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back